Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Giving Credit Where Credit's Due: Offensive Stats Before and After the Sherm Lewis Hire

Locker Room Main Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
skinsnut
Playmaker

Re: Giving Credit Where Credit's Due: Offensive Stats Before and After the Sherm Lewis Hire

Although I noticed decent improvement in the playcalling with Lewis...he did not attack the Cowboys like he knew their weaknesses.
They should have been attacking the deep middle due to the safety injury.
This was not done.
The problem with Dallas and our line is this.
They attack and crowd the line aggresively....we should have anticipated that or at least adjusted, can you slow this down with screens? kind of...but screens are meant to neutralize occasional blitzes...not an every down 8 in the box situation.
Draws would have worked out fine...the problem...we had Rock...who is certainly not a draw back...this is where the alridge fans come in. We are completely dependant on a single running back to be able to run the draw...and he was out.

I was a bit disappointed in the play calling...in fact, I believe the lack of aggression cost us the game on 2 occasions.....once with about 15 seconds left on the clock at the 20....we did not even try once to throw the ball in the endzone....most teams would try 3 times if they had the downs.....another toward the end of the game around the 30....I think it was 3rd and 5 or something....we ran....again....not even trying to go for the throat...the gutsy call would have been to run a stop and go and throw deep....heck...even a slant would do....but to basically hope you make it and fall back on a maybe field goal is a bit lame. No aggression.

Both of these critical calls scream out play not to lose...they do not say ATTACK when winning....that is a serious problem and explains why our games are always close.

I am very curious if those critical calls are ones where Zorn decides whether we play it safe or attack