Go Back   Warpath > Fantasy Football Forums > Fantasy Football

Starting a Dynasty Fantasy Football League

Fantasy Football

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Schneed10
A Dude

Starting a Dynasty Fantasy Football League

Me and a buddy from my office are putting together a Dynasty Fantasy Football league.

A Dynasty League is a keeper league on steroids. In the first season, you draft a team as you normally would, using an auction format. When the NFL regular season ends, your keep EVERY player on your roster heading into the offseason. The NFL draft goes by in April, then in August/September you hold your draft where the only players eligible to pick are the rookies drafted by NFL teams in April, or bum-vets who were available in free agency when the previous season closed.

During this draft, your roster size is expanded to accommodate your rookie draft class. Then prior to the regular season, you reach a cut-down date, at which time you must trim your team back down to the roster limit.

So while the initial draft to start the league off fresh would be auction, all subsequent rookie drafts would be via pick format. Draft order would be determined by order of finish from the previous season, using a formula very similar to the way the NFL does it (Super Bowl Winner picks 32nd, worst team picks first). And just like in the NFL, you can trade picks (even future picks) for vets at any time (ie be like the Redskins and try to trade two first rounders for Chad Johnson - thank God that fell through).

Our league is up and running and we have about 4 spots left. Because this is a Dynasty, we prefer to have active owners who plan to be a part of the league for many many years. The cost will be $60 per season, with $52 of that going into a prize pot and $8 of it going towards paying the website's fee. Please post here if you are interested. Of course, the structure of dynasty leagues does not lend itself to a Yahoo format. We are using MyFantasyLeague.com, which is a tremendous site. For that $8 per person, the extra features it allows make it a worthwhile investment. Since we're getting set up now, there is plenty of time to get used to the site and its format.

Let me know if you're interested or if I can answer any questions.