Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Thread Hell

Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

Thread Hell

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #11
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Re: Marcus Mason signed by the Jets off Ravens practice squad

I've said so many different ways I'll say it again....you can't judge a player by his preseason play only. I know it goes both ways. Some say he would not do well up against 1st stringers. There was a lot of things going on during preseason. They kept using different linemen to see which was the best group to pair up. The linemen were not opening the holes for Portis or Betts either.
Some say Mason led the NFL in rushing yrds during preseason. There's no denying that but some say he did it against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

I would like to believe it lies somewhere in between. The perfect way to judge Mason would have been to get Portis in a game where he's running all over the place and then stick in Mason and see the difference. I can only hope the coach's would be evaluating a player based off of his talent and talent ability vs his preseason play only.

In my little mind I like to think Mason has the talent and ability but simply didn't have the chance to show it outside of preseason. The Skins had more needs at other positions that they felt was more important then to keep 4 RB's. Who knows if the Skins didn't contact Mason and ask him if he would like to come back and he said no. We might never know. There's more to it then simply pulling someone from someones practice squad.

We also can't judge the TTB (Tip-Toe Burgler, SA) on 2 games only. He knows the plays but does not know the run blocking or pass blocking schemes on every play. He has not taken a hit for over 6 months. The TTB is no pound the ground RB he's more of a finess RB that will juke a defensemen out of his shoes. It will take time for him to get up to speed but like has been said in other threads we needed someone to step in right away and contribute while Betts was out not some one who needs time to learn the game and learn to take a hit again and was hired based on a deteriorating past performance. Oh and 'cause he was a MVP. (ooooh, aaaaaah)