Other Sports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2008, 12:30 AM   #24
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Re: Tiger Woods lynching comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I'm black and I found it VERY offensive. I took an African American studies class in college a long time ago. There were so many hate/lynching crimes that went unpunished that it's not even funny. Stuff that never ever made it to the headlines that I learned about. However I don't see the need for Al Sharpton to get involved and I don't think she should lose her job. The Golf Channel did the right thing. Sometimes people say stupid shit without thinking. She should know better.

However, here is my problem with what she said. Would Kelly T. have used those words if she was talking about Ernie Els, Phil Mickleson or Jim Furyk? I don't know. If I had to bet on it she probably would not have used that word if she was talking about a white person.
I think she would have,did you hear the conversation or just read about it?
When first reading about it I found it offensive also,but upon hearing the comment in context of the conversation it sounded perfectly innocent to me
Plus,if she was black and said this would this even be a topic? If Charles Barkley said something like this it would be laughed off. If race is going to hopefully one day be a non issue it shouldnt matter what race you are as regards to your comments,if its offensive its offensive,if she would have been Black and said this its a non issue in my opinion.
Also what if she would have been talking about Mickleson and she would have said take him out and shoot him in the head,is that less offensive? if it is why should it be? to me she was basically saying the only way to stop Tiger is to kill him because he's so frickin good and she would have made the same comment or something very similar about another golfer who was as good as tiger no matter what race they were.Was it a poor choice of words? obviously or it wouldnt be a topic,but there was nothing malicious about it and she shouldnt lose her job about it