Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

If you could have one back.

Parking Lot

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
KLHJ2
Inactive

If you could have one back.

We have all heard this phrase before "I bet he wishes he could get that one back". It is the phrase we usually hear right after a bad play or a missed opportunity in sports.

If I had to answer this one personally it would be tough. Do I go with the back to back 9 routes that I droped as a sophmore, which would have been TD's? Well, maybe as a close second, but I think I would have to take back my one rushing carry as a senior. Nevermind why it was my only carry that season, or that I wasn't a TB. It was the rest of scenario that made it dramatically more significant. It was my last year of playing football. We were losing to our District Rival. It was my first opportunity to step on the field that season.

My name is called out from my head coach on the sideline. He tells me that I am going in at TB and gives me the play. In my head I realize that the play is designed for me to take it off Tackle Strong Side. I sprint the play into the huddle as if it is the most significant event in my life. The QB calls the play and the Huddle breaks. We get lined up and the QB goes through his cadence. During the next few seconds time slows down and the ball is snapped. I jap step left and begin running to the right eventually taking the handoff from the QB. In my mind I am thinking "stay with the play design". There is nothing there, but I stay with the play design. There is enough room to drive 4 trucks down the right side of the field, but I stay disciplined to the play design. I pound it right between the tackle and the TE. I am met at the line of scrimmage and surge foreward a little before being taken down for a gain of only one. As I am getting up I ask myself "why didn't I bounce it outside?" Apparently, my team mates and coaches were wondering the same thing. As I trot back to the sideline I can see the look of disgust in my coach's face. It was the first and last time that I would step onto the field or touch the football during the regular season that year. I blew it. If only I could have had that one back, maybe the remainder of my senior season would have been different.

If you could have one back, what would it be?
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote