Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins pay or trade Trent Williams?
Pay him 34 46.58%
Trade him 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #11
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
**News comes out that TW is unhappy with team medical staff**
Redskins fans: The team should FIRE EVERYONE to make Trent happy!!!!!!!!!

**News comes out that team asked Trent if they should fire someone in the medical staff**
Redskins fans: WTF?!?! What the HELL were they thinking?!?!?
Yeah this.

'Tell me who to fire and I'll fire them' is a line you deliver to someone you value extremely highly. It's an olive branch line. It's saying Trent you're so important to this organization I will do whatever it takes to make this right for you.

Looked at differently, it's also at the very same time saying this: if your beef is with the medical staff, I got you, I'll take care of it. Just tell me who did you wrong. Oh, you don't really want anybody to get fired? I guess it really was about money then, wasn't it. We'll talk about money next year, when you're approaching the last year of your contract, per team policy. See you in September, unless you want to lose game checks.

It has been handled right. There's a chance Trent's entire motivation here is to just get out of Washington period, a la Cousins. D Hall talks about Trent being interested in all pros and Super Bowl rings, and you have to be on a winning team to get those. It's a sign that Trent wants out, but he knows he has two years under contract and he can't do too much about it. So he'll bet on himself, a la Cousins.

But I still say this has been handled brilliantly. Trent will play in 2019 and 2020 to earn that $21M. Then Bruce (if he's still here) will tag him in 2021 and keep him under control in 2021 for a bargain of avg of top 5. Then Trent will be 34. This won't be losing Cousins at age 28. Bruce is playing this to get all of Trent's most useful prime years.

Credit where it's due, well done Bruce. At least as soon as he reports, that is.