Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins pay or trade Trent Williams?
Pay him 34 46.58%
Trade him 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #11
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
can't believe there is 14 pages to this thread when the answer is simple. Does not matter what team we are talking about, the owners holds all of the cards. the player has absolutely zero leverage. That is the way it is done with nfl contracts and it was collectively bargained. Meaning the players union agreed to it.

The team does not have to do anything. Nothing. Talk new deal all you want, but the facts of the matter are this:

- tw has 2 years on his current contract.
- ownership retains his rights unless he is released, or they let him walk after the contract is done.
- even if tw says "eff-u, i'm retiring". If he 'unretires' in say 2 years, washington still owns his rights and he is back at square one. But 2 years older and 2 years removed from football. And still a washington redskin.

He can demand his release all he wants. When the club does not release him, his only recourse is either:
- holdout into the regular season, thereby leaving millions on the table when he is not getting paid and being fined.
- play

this is a game of chicken williams cannot win.

That is it. Club does not have to do anything, again they hold 100% all of the leverage in this.

I stand my my previous statement that once game checks and paydays are at stake, trent williams will shut up about this, have a change of heart and suit up. Of course there will be the obligatory-face-saving press release from trents camp that goes a little like "trent wants to put his entire focus on the redskins season and does not want any distractions regarding contract negotiations to hinder that, therefore it is his decision that he will forego any contract negotiations until the end of the season."

sound familiar? That press release is a template on every agents office365.
Just so happens the end of the regular season is when he will have 1 season on his current deal. That is when a deal gets done.
bingo