Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Real Classic Rock Music Back In Mainstream?

Parking Lot

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #14
metalskins
The Starter

Re: Real Classic Rock Music Back In Mainstream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Being the old shit I am ,I pick and chose. A Stones fan early in their careers but not much after 1980 ,same with LZ like the early stuff. To me "old time R&R that is a consistent producer of things over time is the Who put there so much good stuff from when I was growing up in the late 60's,70's and yes I believe Springsteen, Bob Seeger ,Billy Joel and Tom Petty(RIP) has carried it on as well as some others.
While I do love Led Zeppelin, honestly, the bulk of 70's rock that I really enjoyed was Kansas, Boston, Queen, Styx, and Pink Floyd. Loved progressive rock. Loved Journey. Loved a lot of the 80's metal bands, but really started getting tired of some of the hairbands that came in toward the tail end of that era. Huge Billy Joel fan.

So, out of all of that, most of that stuff has deep roots in rock and roll. With music, today, being mostly electronic, it loses a lot of feeling with me. Loses the connection. I respect rap and hip hop artists, but that's just not my thing. Guitar driven rock has just been the music I migrate back to, time and time again.

So, with Greta Van Fleet, I guess whether if one is on the side of them being straight up copycats of Led Zeppelin and not original at all, or on the side of them bringing good 70's classic rock back to the mainstream even though their sound has been done before, the idea that a group of young dudes like them bringing classic sounding rock back into the mainstream can only be good for those of us who like classic rock. I mean, if top 40 radio is occupied by a band that sounds exactly like Led Zeppelin, a band that sounds exactly like Styx, Foreigner, or Journey, or an artist that sounds exactly like Billy Joel, is that really a bad thing? I don't think so. But, again, that's personal taste.