Parking Lot

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #11
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Re: All Things Technology Related Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Management in a municipal IT dept up 81 from you. We convinced our director and city management to remove admin rights for all users. Has virtually eliminated spyware and virus issues. I'd recommend going to the mat on the issue. "Honor code" ain't got nothing to do with it. The internet is full of crap..even in reputable places. Whether people intend to cause issues or not doesn't matter.
Did your calls of "I need to install this", increase, decrease or stay the same? Just curious because my staff has some limitations technically (inherited them, didn't hire them!) and the less I can make them do, the better.

Dirtbag, I agree. The one REALLY scary thing we got was the Cryptolocker virus. Talk about something that TOTALLY Fs you. We have DeepFreeze on all of our public machines, a part-time person logged on, got the virus, ALL attached drives get encrypted. The bad part about this virus is that you really have no recourse besides to recover every single file/folder of the connected network drives. This took down one department an entire day while we recovered half a terabyte of data.

I started pushing this GPO (because I'm the Law School director, so I get to do what I want independent of the Undergrad side ) that is supposed to block it. Time will tell, but good call on that. Just curious if work increases or decreases based on removing admin rights.