Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

Debating with the enemy

Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #16
firstdown
Living Legend

re: Updated Title: World Revolution 2011

Well then maybe Bush was right when he said after the middle east sees what freedom looks like it will spread. That was pretty much his theme in his second term. HMMMMMM

CNN.com - Bush expounds on theme of freedom - Jan 26, 2005

Last edited by firstdown; 02-11-2011 at 11:57 AM.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #17
firstdown
Living Legend

Should have known this would come down to a rock tossing event. Not sure when power has ever changed hands in the middle east without a good rock tossing event. I'd like to know where they get all of the rocks. Do they have chain Rocks-R-Us stores in the middle east? Sad to see.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #18
firstdown
Living Legend

Is anyone watching this thing going down today and now tonight. I worked late tonight but I've had the news on sense 9:00 watching several ch.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #19
firstdown
Living Legend

I'm surprised this thread is so dead with everything thats going on in the ME.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #20
FRPLG
MVP

I think anyone who cares enough to know what is going on is probably confused what to think. On one hand it is clear that Mubarak is a goner. And should be. On the other hand the uprising has no form to it. No real leader or organizing force it seems. So the prospect of Mubarak leaving office and Egypt slipping into complete and utter chaos due to the lack of a functioning government is sort of terrifying. Uprising is certainly fine (especially in the name of freedom) but it has to come with some type of unified direction and be led by someone/thing that can take ownership of the changes. This situation has nothing like that. Just a bunch of frustrated people throwing rocks and getting mad. I tend to believe Muburak is right when says he can't step down because the place would turn even worse without him at this point.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #21
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Yeah, distress in the middle east doesnt seem like anything new to me, sadly. Hopefully they dont burn down the pymirds or the sphinx.

The one thing im kind of interested in is the whole Muslim Brotherhood thing. People on the right are pointing out all the extreme muslim type terrorist stuff that this group is either partly responsible for, or members of this group have done, or the connections with this group and flat terriorst groups. Then people on the left are saying theres nothing to worry about this group and are almost making the MB sound like a good proposition for control of Egypt and the middle east. Just sounds weird to me.
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #22
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Yeah, distress in the middle east doesnt seem like anything new to me, sadly. Hopefully they dont burn down the pymirds or the sphinx.

The one thing im kind of interested in is the whole Muslim Brotherhood thing. People on the right are pointing out all the extreme muslim type terrorist stuff that this group is either partly responsible for, or members of this group have done, or the connections with this group and flat terriorst groups. Then people on the left are saying theres nothing to worry about this group and are almost making the MB sound like a good proposition for control of Egypt and the middle east. Just sounds weird to me.
Both the left and the right have said that it would not be good if the Muslim Britherhood took control. The only difference I have heard from the two sides is that the left does not think they have enough power to take control and the right is saying before you wish their current leader gone you better know what your getting.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #23
saden1
MVP

The people of Egypt should be able to freely elect who they want and if they happen to choose what we consider radicals so be it. Preventing their exercise of free will can only lead to further problems with less simple solutions (where we are today). I am not afraid of the Muslim Britherhood...it's much easier to watch on the sideline and yap than to lead.

What's that old republican adage? The government [of United States] shouldn't be in the business of picking winners and losers?

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #24
firstdown
Living Legend

Egyptian helmet design...

These guys on the streets of Egypt have to be given credit for improvisation.

This guy has probably filled these bottles with gas and tossed them by now.

This is the design for the hungry protester.

You have heard the saying "fight fire with fire".

I think this one has been through a few too many protest.

Look no hands.

Probably his wifes best pan but he looks proud wearing it.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #25
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: Egyptian helmet design...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
this is the design for the hungry protester.
boom breadshot!
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #26
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Yeah, burning down well-guarded stone buildings far far away in the ****ing desert. Really practical. Or are you just ignorant of the logistics?

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #27
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I'm surprised this thread is so dead with everything thats going on in the ME.
I would say that I have been watching this more closely than a lot of politics in recent years, including listening to govt reports through C-SPAN radio, and the live feeds that have been available. But nothing that I start typing here really adds anything to the discussion. It amazes me that these protests in Egypt have gone on without resolution and without sparking anarchy. It's kind of a suspension of disbelief moment, and until we see the other shoe drop (whether it is Mubarak's resignation, or an immense crackdown), I don't know how to put in words the feelings of these moments. You almost expect to see some sort of crowd rage moment that tops the skirmishes on Tues/Wed, or Mubarak flying out on a US C-130 transport into exile.

We can hope that the end results are to the betterment of Egyptian people, but I think no matter what happens, the Mideast will become a much more unstable place in the short term.

Anyone else wonder what kind of moment could send this thing catapulting out of control, to the point where Israel might feel threatened enough to do some rash/stupid reaction?
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #28
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Sounds like we got caught a little off-guard.

US intelligence on Arab unrest draws criticism - Yahoo! News
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #29
firstdown
Living Legend

Yea, its Obama's fault and beacuae of that he should have to wear this for one week. Then eat the bread.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #30
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:

Rule by the Muslim Brotherhood would not be a good thing. That said, although the MB follows a radical ideology, they are not a violent group now (unlike in the '80's). That is, the MB should not be confused with al Qaeda. If you think radically, you join the MB; if you want to kill folks, you join al Qaeda. So rule by the MB, while it would not be a good thing, is not the same as installing a terrorist regime.

With all of that said, it is extremely unlikely that the MB could seize power. While they are organized and get a lot of press, they are not a particularly large group numerically compared to the total population of Egypt. So if Egypt turned democratic, it is very unlikely that the MB would be a ruling party, although they may capture a seat or two in the legislature.

El Baradei represents a rational and moderate Egyptian political voice. When all is said and done, I hope that he assumes power within a genuine Egyptian democracy. This would be good for us. If you follow terrorists, you know that they almost always come from places with autocratic regimes. Places like Turkey, which are both Muslim and democratic, produce far fewer terrorists.

If I could, I would storm the palace and put Mubarak out on the streets TODAY. I would install a caretaking UN oversight committee to keep the government and economy viable. Then I would schedule democratic elections for as soon as possible and presume that El Baradei would win the elections.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote