Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Jason Campbell gets his mind right for the season..

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Jason Campbell gets his mind right for the season..

This is about the most honest and forthcoming I've heard Campbell speak and I LOVE IT! Put it out there JC and make it happen..

Campbell confident he can prove himself to be right man for the job

A couple of my favorite quotes:
-You have to look at it as sport, a business, a profession and understand there is competition all the time and nothing is in stone. No guarantees. But you still get mad deep inside. And how you handle that helps determine if you are going to make your career successful.

-But I know I have to have a big year and have them come to the table or get more options for myself. You know, this is a big year for me, but it's a big year for the Redskins as a whole, as a group from top to bottom.

This one won't be popular but I love his honesty-
There are still double-standards in this league for African-American quarterbacks. You have to be great to be good. And others who are half as good are considered great. That is not an excuse, that is a fact. I don't make excuses. I was raised to understand it is not always about you. You have to give respect to get respect.

A little over 30 days til camp and I can't wait.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-29-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
53Fan
Franchise Player

Re: Jason Campbell gets his mind right for the season..

It really is unbelievable how much blame Jason takes for our record the last 3 years when he has only played 16 games in a season once. Not to mention constant change in offensive systems, receivers, and the offensive line. Not exactly the kind of enviroment for a young QB to flourish in. Can you imagine having to do your job differently every year, and having to depend on constantly changing personell who are also learning a new system? Then have to be constantly compared to the best in the business who work in the same offensive system every year? Considering the circumstances, I find it hard to put all the blame on JC. There is plenty of blame to go around for our lack of offensive success the last few years. I'm not taking up for JC, he needs to step up this year. But how can anyone judge how good he is with the confusing mess he's dealt with since he's been here?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
rbanerjee23
The Starter

exactamundo...peyton manning is bitching about change after 10 years and jay cutler got mad because the denver gm discussed a remote possibility of a trade involving him. Say what you want about campbell but he has been 110% class about both those situations year in and year out as the real problem behind the redskins (vinny cerrato) just keeps throwing him under the bus. His numbers are not great but they are not particularly bad (JC has thrown 23 interceptions in 36 games, Brett favre goes through that in about 16 games) I sincerely believe that JC has the potential and ability to be a top 5 quarterback with an offensive line thats not about to enter a retirement home, and a WR corps with a meaningful receiver above 6 feet

edit* WR corps 'without' a meaningful receiver above 6 feet

Last edited by rbanerjee23; 06-29-2009 at 01:17 AM.
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:17 AM   #4
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Thanks for the fine article on JC, Paintrain.

Every time I hear from JC I become more and more impressed by his classiness and attitude. I am looking forward to a big year from him, although certainly I am fueled by homer optimism.

As for the part about African-American quarterbacks, I think JC is right on. Sad to say, it seems that there is still a double-standard regarding qb's and race. McNabb seems like the poster child for this reality. Notice that historically there are relatively few African-American starters at qb compared to other positions and, when an African-American does start, he is usually a magnet for criticism. The qb position is one of many examples that we still have not realized racial equality in this country, although we do seem to be moving in that direction.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:21 AM   #5
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
exactamundo...peyton manning is bitching about change after 10 years and jay cutler got mad because the denver gm discussed a remote possibility of a trade involving him. Say what you want about campbell but he has been 110% class about both those situations year in and year out as the real problem behind the redskins (vinny cerrato) just keeps throwing him under the bus. His numbers are not great but they are not particularly bad (JC has thrown 23 interceptions in 36 games, Brett favre goes through that in about 16 games) I sincerely believe that JC has the potential and ability to be a top 5 quarterback with an offensive line thats not about to enter a retirement home, and a WR corps with a meaningful receiver above 6 feet.
Agreed. Let's give him something to work with, and not have him have to think about the plays because he had to learn a completely different system, AGAIN, and see how he does. People tend to forget that the rest of the offense has to learn the system too, and if they don't learn it correctly, Jason's screwed.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
53Fan
Franchise Player

I also think it's good that JC is taking more of a leadership role and is becoming more vocal. He needs to hold his offensive team mates accountable, why should he take all the blame. If they run a wrong route or blow a blocking assignment he needs to ask them what happened there and tell them to correct it. If they don't know why it happened, they shouldn't be on the field until they figure it out.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:36 AM   #7
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I also think it's good that JC is taking more of a leadership role and is becoming more vocal. He needs to hold his offensive team mates accountable, why should he take all the blame. If they run a wrong route or blow a blocking assignment he needs to ask them what happened there and tell them to correct it. If they don't know why it happened, they shouldn't be on the field until they figure it out.
Right on.
We won more with Vinny
Old 06-29-2009, 01:05 AM   #8
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
This one won't be popular but I love his honesty-
There are still double-standards in this league for African-American quarterbacks. You have to be great to be good. And others who are half as good are considered great. That is not an excuse, that is a fact. I don't make excuses. I was raised to understand it is not always about you. You have to give respect to get respect.

A little over 30 days til camp and I can't wait.
You're right it isn't popular at least with me. Seriously why did he have to play the race card? It's a simple deal, you play like 6-2 you get love from the fan base you go 2-6 and you get the opposite. It has nothing to do with race.

Personally I could care less what color the QB is or any other player for that matter. I judge every player the same way. You play hard you get points, you conduct yourself as a decent human being you get points, you play well you get mucho points. If race was an issue with me I wouldn't watch football considering about 75% of the league consist of black players.

The time that Jason has gotten to develop is something that other QB's around the league can only dream of be it black, white, or latino. Personally I love the way he's handled himself this offseason but come on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post

As for the part about African-American quarterbacks, I think JC is right on. Sad to say, it seems that there is still a double-standard regarding qb's and race. McNabb seems like the poster child for this reality. Notice that historically there are relatively few African-American starters at qb compared to other positions and, when an African-American does start, he is usually a magnet for criticism. The qb position is one of many examples that we still have not realized racial equality in this country, although we do seem to be moving in that direction.
McNabb plays in Philly, the city that booed Santa Clause, it shouldn't be a surprise that he gets treated the way he does. If anything I'd say they're holding back.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:17 AM   #9
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Yes I reckon we probably see more of that this year...but maybe it won't need to be said/done more than a handful of times. At this point I feel like the entire roster, offense and defense, ought to hold JC in the highest regard. Not only for his class but also for things like his toughness and perseverance. I guess what I'm saying is his teammates ought to be inspired to leave everything on the field this year...make this one count cuz your QB is at stake...the same guy who took an awful beating in the 2nd half of last year when his line became swiss cheese but never bitched and moaned and always went back under center.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #10
MTK
\m/

Can't wait for camp and some real news to talk about.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #11
firstdown
Living Legend

Its hard to play the race card when like 75% (thats a guess) of the starters in the NFL are African American.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #12
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Its hard to play the race card when like 75% (thats a guess) of the starters in the NFL are African American.
Not at quarterback.
We won more with Vinny
Old 06-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

Could it be that he wasn't so much playing the race card but maybe, possibly answering a question ?

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #14
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Not at quarterback.
Why does that matter? If you have 75% starting that means that the coaches do not look at color and pick the best player and why would it be any different for the QB position? What is JC saying that the coaches might be looking past his talent because he is black. His numbers right now do not support his arguement.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Can't wait for camp and some real news to talk about.
yo'..............
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote