Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Golf Drug Testing Question:

Other Sports

Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Golf Drug Testing Question:

Hey Guys,

I know Golf recently started drug testing. I'm kinda curious, with Woods bowing out for a significant period, does that mean he's not being tested with everyone else? He's going to wait till he returns? I'm not trying to stir up rumors that he's on steroids/etc, I'm just curious if he had to be tested or not.

Advertisements
Old 07-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Golf Drug Testing Question:

Dunno.

Not to steer your thread off topic, but I can't understand how steroids would help you in golf all that much. Yeah distance can help some, but placement, course management, and - most importantly - touch on and around the greens are all much bigger factors in a golfer's success. Look at Tiger himelf at the Open. He blasted his tee shots all over the damn place. But he put on one of the greatest putting performances of all time. That's what won him the Open more than anything else.

I can't see anybody taking 'roids. Besides, apart from Tiger, have you seen these guys? Mickelson has frumpy bitch tits, guys like Sergio and Charles Howell are in decent shape but they're skinny as hell, Miguel Angel Jimenez has a beer gut, and then there's John Friggin Daly.

I think this is one sport where drugs are clearly not prevalent. And I'm not even sure you need to test, because I'm not sure they give you a significant advantage.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

Daly is the anti-athlete. What a joke.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Steroids in this case wouldn't be mainly to get the golfer stronger...however, a golf swing is mostly muscle memory, so it wouldn't hurt to have your muscles finely tuned, which steroids would help. I'd imagine that a golfer would use steroids to recover from injury quicker...

And while Daly is a fat slob of a man, if he could stay sober and keep the weight off, he'd be in the top 30 consistently.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Dunno.

Not to steer your thread off topic, but I can't understand how steroids would help you in golf all that much. Yeah distance can help some, but placement, course management, and - most importantly - touch on and around the greens are all much bigger factors in a golfer's success. Look at Tiger himelf at the Open. He blasted his tee shots all over the damn place. But he put on one of the greatest putting performances of all time. That's what won him the Open more than anything else.

I can't see anybody taking 'roids. Besides, apart from Tiger, have you seen these guys? Mickelson has frumpy bitch tits, guys like Sergio and Charles Howell are in decent shape but they're skinny as hell, Miguel Angel Jimenez has a beer gut, and then there's John Friggin Daly.

I think this is one sport where drugs are clearly not prevalent. And I'm not even sure you need to test, because I'm not sure they give you a significant advantage.
juice does not do a damn thing for golf. i'm a pretty serious weight lifter and a pretty serious golfer. the golf swing is all about having good form. look at the women. lorena ochoa can't go more than 120lbs and hits it 270. i play with a semi-pro and out weigh him by 60 lbs. i'm a much stronger person then he is yet he outdrives me by 50-60 yards every single time. total waste of time drug testing golfers.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Steroids in this case wouldn't be mainly to get the golfer stronger...however, a golf swing is mostly muscle memory, so it wouldn't hurt to have your muscles finely tuned, which steroids would help. I'd imagine that a golfer would use steroids to recover from injury quicker...

And while Daly is a fat slob of a man, if he could stay sober and keep the weight off, he'd be in the top 30 consistently.
I think Daly is one of the most gifted players on tour. But you're right. He can't get his shit straight. If he'd put down the boos and got his mind right he'd give Tiger a run for his money.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Schneed10
A Dude

As a general note, isn't golf awesome? It's awesomeness is so awesome it simply cannot be measured.

I just love playing that sport. If I could devote myself to trying to become a professional athlete in any sport, it would definitely be golf.

Last week I rolled in a 18-footer over a swail, dying the ball into the side door. Feels so good.

I wanna go play golf now. Later!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I think Daly is one of the most gifted players on tour. But you're right. He can't get his shit straight. If he'd put down the boos and got his mind right he'd give Tiger a run for his money.
I remember reading about a time when Daly was sitting in the club house fooling around and Tiger came in from some marathon driving range session and Daly razzed him about always practicing. Tiger replied with something like "If I had as much talent as you I wouldn't have to practice"
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #9
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

FRPLG - I vaguely remember hearing that about Daly and Tiger. It's certainly a shame that he can't keep his head on straight long enough for his potential to come flying out. Guess he's biding his time for the Senior Tour at this point...

I'm actually playing this weekend for the 1st time all year...the downside to the weekend warrior is trying to find time to play this damn game. But there aren't too many places out there where I'm more relaxed. While I'm ultra-competitive in just about everything I do, for some reason, I'm not when I play golf. I always shoot for bogey golf, and if I'm under bogey, great...and if not, there is always the next hole or the next round.

Golf is humbling to me...knowing that one day I can go out and shoot an 82, and the next day a 104. Where the difference between a good day and a great day can be 4 or 5 putts. Where a gift from the Gods can be a gust of wind that carries your drive another 20 yards just over that fairway bunker, or that gift easily taken away with a shank into the tree line to your right. Where you can play the same game, whether you spend $1200 or $120 on your clubs, and either $50 or $5 a dozen on your golf balls.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #10
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
As a general note, isn't golf awesome? It's awesomeness is so awesome it simply cannot be measured.

I just love playing that sport. If I could devote myself to trying to become a professional athlete in any sport, it would definitely be golf.

Last week I rolled in a 18-footer over a swail, dying the ball into the side door. Feels so good.

I wanna go play golf now. Later!
Schneed.... I crave golf. I'd love to be a pro golfer. Imagine traveling around the world to places like Dubai to play golf. I'd be the happiest guy on earth.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I remember reading about a time when Daly was sitting in the club house fooling around and Tiger came in from some marathon driving range session and Daly razzed him about always practicing. Tiger replied with something like "If I had as much talent as you I wouldn't have to practice"
LOL! That's funny as hell. Daly is just trailor trash. What a lazy SOB. He's been given such a great gift and he just wants to let it waste away. Awful.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
jdlea
Playmaker

I'm actually playing some twilight this afternoon for the first time in a couple years. I played pretty often right before I went to Tulane, but I haven't even played 9 since my father got sick.

Today's probably going to be difficult, as I inherited his driver and haven't had the experience of missing him on a first tee yet. (I played with him about 90% of the rounds in my lifetime so far) Should be interesting...
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #13
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
FRPLG - I vaguely remember hearing that about Daly and Tiger. It's certainly a shame that he can't keep his head on straight long enough for his potential to come flying out. Guess he's biding his time for the Senior Tour at this point...

I'm actually playing this weekend for the 1st time all year...the downside to the weekend warrior is trying to find time to play this damn game. But there aren't too many places out there where I'm more relaxed. While I'm ultra-competitive in just about everything I do, for some reason, I'm not when I play golf. I always shoot for bogey golf, and if I'm under bogey, great...and if not, there is always the next hole or the next round.

Golf is humbling to me...knowing that one day I can go out and shoot an 82, and the next day a 104. Where the difference between a good day and a great day can be 4 or 5 putts. Where a gift from the Gods can be a gust of wind that carries your drive another 20 yards just over that fairway bunker, or that gift easily taken away with a shank into the tree line to your right. Where you can play the same game, whether you spend $1200 or $120 on your clubs, and either $50 or $5 a dozen on your golf balls.
You want to talk about humbling..... Let me tell you a quick story. I go down to Ocean City MD. every year on a golf trip with a few friends. Well we all went out the night before our round and got all tore up. I slept about 3 hours. I got to the course the next day and wanted to die I was so hung over. Well I went out and shot the best round I've ever had. 76. Just hit it pure all day long. I thought I had it all figured out. The next day I blew up and shot a 104. That's a 28 stroke difference in two days. After that 104 I was so mad I almost gave it up.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #14
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:

BTW...I see you're up in Frederick. I've played a lot of the courses up near you. PB Dye, Worthington Manor, Whiskey Creek, MD. National and Musket Ridge.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:12 PM   #15
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
You want to talk about humbling..... Let me tell you a quick story. I go down to Ocean City MD. every year on a golf trip with a few friends. Well we all went out the night before our round and got all tore up. I slept about 3 hours. I got to the course the next day and wanted to die I was so hung over. Well I went out and shot the best round I've ever had. 76. Just hit it pure all day long. I thought I had it all figured out. The next day I blew up and shot a 104. That's a 28 stroke difference in two days. After that 104 I was so mad I almost gave it up.
LOL

I can relate, the game changes at the drop of a hat. Back when I was 18, it was the summer between my senior year of high school and my freshman year of college. I was playing all the damn time. I went to play 36 with my buddy at the same course, we were there all day long. The first round I shot a 95, was knocking the ball all over the place and putting like hell. We get to the second round, I come up to the 4th hole which was a 135 yard par 3. I yanked my tee shot a little left, the ball bounces on this hill sitting just to the left of the green, the ball shoots off to the right at a 90 degree angle right at the hole, hits the pin squarely with a big BANG, and drops. Lucky ass Ace. First one of my life. From that point on, I was 2 over par over the final 14 holes. It was like the ace snapped me out of the funk. Too bad that on my first 3 holes of that round I was +5, so I ended up with a 5 over par 76 instead of an even par 71.

Still have the ball.