Drafts graded

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-26-2004, 09:19 PM   #1
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

Drafts graded

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7283353

can't believe we only got a C.
maybe they missed the fact that we got SEAN TAYLOR and a TE that lead the NCAA in recieving yards for a TE.
PSUskinsfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-26-2004, 09:37 PM   #2
Dave Butz Baby!
Special Teams

Prisco is on the Crack Pipe. Or maybe it's crank. Who knows. But apparently, an intervention is required. Here is the drivel he wrote...

"Best pick: Although it might have been better to get Kellen Winslow, they opted for defense and Sean Taylor. He is a Pro Bowl player in a year.

Questionable move: Never having enough draft picks. They had four, but that's never enough.

Steal: Mark Wilson, a fifth-round pick from California, should benefit from playing for offensive line coach Joe Bugel and could develop into a quality player.

Overall grade: C. Based on getting a player of Taylor's quality, even if Winslow was the better choice."

Am I missing something here? Is this completely nonsensical or have I lost all ability to follow logic and reason? Did he really grade us down to a C because of the Taylor over Winslow pick? Right after he said Taylor would be a pro-bowler and we got a great steal of a tackle?

That hurts my head almost as much as when I was 15 and hearing "because I said so" as a valid answer from my parents.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:40 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

We're in a no win situation. If we took Winslow the so called experts would say we've overloaded on offense and should have taken Taylor.

I thought Taylor made perfect sense. We already have enough weapons on offense. And with the Cooley pick Gibbs got his H-back and we still got Taylor.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:54 PM   #4
Jamaican'Skin
The Starter

We are going to hear these types of things from the media all year round. Until we prove that we have done something good, we are nothing but the media's punching bag.
Jamaican'Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:18 PM   #5
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

You know what. Whatever! I really dont care what all these stupid " experts " have to say anymore. EVERYONE except some of the guys @ The Post, hate us. Screw em all, when we are World Champions, its gonna be that much sweeter.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:57 PM   #6
love them hogs
Special Teams

Dont listen to the haters ,we made some good moves and Taylor was the best choice.
love them hogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:35 PM   #7
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Have you guys ever seen the movie Half-Baked (Dave Chappelle's seminal film)? You remember that scene where the guy at the fast food joint gets fired? So he grabs the microphone at the cash register and just starts randomly pointing at different people and saying "F*ck You" "F*ck You" "You're Cool" "F*ck You"

I hope after we get our next Super Bowl trophy, Dan Snyder or Joe Gibbs or whoever steps up to the podium in the post-game press conference and does exactly that

Chappelle note: his show is moving to Tuesdays starting this week
Old 04-26-2004, 11:53 PM   #8
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

If you are grading THE DRAFT and nothing else, the Redskins drafted one player who is virutally certain to start and play every snap on defense barring injury. They also drafted a tight end/H-back who had a nice year in college last year but is hardly considered at this point to be a sure-fire starter in the NFL right away. Then they drafted big people.

If you actually get one starter out of THE DRAFT that is an average draft - no better. So the grade of "C" makes some sense. If Cooley is a starter and sees the field for more than half the snaps this year, then they should get a "B".
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:45 AM   #9
spanishomelette
Camp Scrub

I kind of get the impression that he was giving the 'skins a D or F because they gave away too many picks, but that the Taylor pick raised it up to a ...if that makes any sense.
spanishomelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:36 AM   #10
backrow
The Starter

Look around!

There are other links with grades. I've seen "B" associated with the Redskins on most of them. Someone bring another link in here to offset this guy!
Old 04-27-2004, 08:41 AM   #11
Ade Jimoh Fan Club
Special Teams

Who gives a flying poo about the grades??? Skins will never get a respectable grade without all of their picks. If they took into account Portis and Brunell, I'm sure we'd get an A. It's sooooo meaningless....
Ade Jimoh Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:43 AM   #12
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

The only problem I have with a "C" is how high he rated other teams. The Cowboys got a B, while we get stuck with a C? We got a definite starter whereas the Cowboys got nothing. Julius Jones is a decent back, but I'm not sure he's a rookie starter. I think we had a much better draft than the Dolphins too. Although I think Eli will be good, they gave up way too much for him. The Giants still got a B. I just think that we should have gotten a B. I think we got two solid starters, and when you have 4 picks, that's damn near amazing. Cooley is yet to start, but it may not be long!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:17 AM   #13
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Curmudgeon, I disagree with your analysis. With four picks, we got one full time starter and possible pro-bowler, a second who is projected to be a sometime starter or, certainly, in the regular rotation, and two who have the potential to give solid depth.
If one of the two late picks stick, that means that 75% of our picks worked out with 50% being major contributors in their first year. To me, that's at least a B.

And now a slightly off topic rant -
I've read a lot of Prisco's stuff and, generally, it's just filler. I don't think the guy is either a) particularly insightful or b) very consistent. He is mostly a follow the pack sorta of guy. As such, he buys into the general Snyder Hate. It just seems most of the rags hate Snyder and continually accuse him of being a "fantasy football" owner.

I think alot of it stems from way back in the Norv Turner era. Everybody blasted Snyder for his handling of Norv's release and Norv made himself out to be this "poor poor pitiful me" victim. The press ate it up 'cause they thought Norv was a classy, smart football guy. Snyder was easy to dis because he was the rich, new kid who made some splashy and bad personnel moves and who seemed to be trying to "buy" a championship (Want to piss off sports-writers? Try to "buy" a championship, any championship - This seems to insult their sense of fair play). What has come to light since, however, is that Norv was bad-mouthing Snyder all over the place within the football community -but always behind closed doors and in very mean-spirited gossiping sort of way.

Since Norv, Snyder has actually improved as an owner but the best you ever see said of him is "he wants to win". Quite frankly, Snyder is trying new and innovative ways to work the system and, but for a mediocre year under Marty, has had crappy coaches. Lots of things about Snyder bug me, but I do think the criticism he and the team get are just a little unfair.

Last edited by JoeRedskin; 04-27-2004 at 09:24 AM.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote