Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Tailored Dress Shirts

Parking Lot

Old 10-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
los panda
Pro Bowl

Tailored Dress Shirts

has anyone ordered tailored dress shirts online?

would save me a lot of time and effort, thinking about trying it. was hoping someone on here could speak on the subject and possibly make a recommendation. thanks
Old 10-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Re: Tailored Dress Shirts

Los, I go to this nice Korean lady in Westlake Village for all my tailoring.

Jessica's

Does a great job, not particularly cheap though.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Los, I go to this nice Korean lady in Westlake Village for all my tailoring.

Jessica's

Does a great job, not particularly cheap though.
thanks rr, roughly how much to take in a shirt (sleeves too)?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
firstdown
Living Legend

I have to ask. Can you not just buy a shirt that fits correctly?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Rarely. Ben Sherman, Zegna and some slim cut Boss fit but a tailored shirt fits in the trousers better, not all baggy and shit.

Los, I recall my last one cost $10, but call to check, then hit up Nordstrom Rack in Woodland Hills on the way there and get yourself some pimpwear.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
have never been able to find one.

any 16.5 32/33 or 17 32/33 seems to be have been made for a large-waisted man.

the slim fit/super slim fit/fitted/etc. aren't even close, either.

i don't think i'm uncommonly slender, i've actually gained 25 pounds since i moved to ca. 5'10" 175-180 lbs w roughly 33"-34" waist.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
i don't think i'm uncommonly slender, i've actually gained 25 pounds since i moved to ca. 5'10" 175-180 lbs w roughly 33"-34" waist.
You fat sod.

5' 9", 165lbs, Chest 42", waist 31".

Seriously, American clothes are designed to be worn by food consuming behemoths.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
You fat sod.

5' 9", 165lbs, Chest 42", waist 31".

Seriously, American clothes are designed to be worn by food consuming behemoths.
i blame in-n-out, i was eating 2 double-doubles a day for a stretch there
Old 10-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
i blame in-n-out, i was eating 2 double-doubles a day for a stretch there
That'll do it. And Tommy's and Fatburger and....

Old 10-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
have never been able to find one.

any 16.5 32/33 or 17 32/33 seems to be have been made for a large-waisted man.

the slim fit/super slim fit/fitted/etc. aren't even close, either.

I'm about the same build as you have you tried Stafford shirts from JC Penny.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I'm about the same build as you have you tried Stafford shirts from JC Penny.
yeah, i used to wear those when i didn't have to tuck my shirts in. when i try to tuck one of those in, there's a muffin top of fabric flowing out from my pants.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I've started to buy tailored shirts online, and I highly recommend it. You can get a shirt that fits you perfectly and is a bit more comfortable than off the rack. Not sure about you guys, but typically if the sleeves and neck fit, the rest of the shirt doesn't. Some brands are better than others, but nothing compares to the online ones. I've only done it twice so far, but plan on doing it from here on forward. That said, it does take some tweaking to get the fit correct. My first shirt was pretty far off (mainly my fault, will explain later) and my 2nd shirt is great, but will tweak my measurements slightly when I order again.

Advantages:
- Easy. You don't have to go to a store and shop. You find a pattern you like and pretty much click order.
- Fairly large selection of fabrics.
- The custom fit is much more comfortable and you always get exactly what you want.
- Consistency. You're not going to have a bunch of shirts that all fit differently -- they'll all be the same which I think is nice.
- Customizable. You can change everything on these shirts to your liking. Type of collar (about 12 options), button placement, cuff cut, length, types of buttons, etc. Really, tons of options. Even plackard/collar linings, etc.

Cons:
- Instant gratification... or there lackeof. It takes about 2-3 weeks from the time you order until you get the shirt. So that can be frustrating.
- Picking shirts. You can't feel or see the fabrics, the site I recommend also doesn't do all the justice to each fabrics. This can be offset by buying fabric swatches.

Neutral:
- Price. These shirts range from cheap (30ish) to very expensive (200ish). I've read the sweetspot for most of these is the 60-90 range. Which is pretty competitive to what you'll see for the same quality of off the rack shirts.
- Expect to not wear the first shirt. The site I suggest has white/blue/black shirt available for $20 for first time customers. You may not want to wear that, but the 2nd one should be fine. You'll have an up-front investment, but it should payoff in the long run.

Advice:
- Measure an actual SHIRT not your body. Take your favorite shirt, and measure it 3-5 times. Have a friend measure it. Be very accurate. Also, be careful with your decimals... I made that issue on my first shirt's measurements. Order it just like your shirt measures, then tweak from there. I made some guesses the first time, and would have had a better shirt with original measurements.
- The measurement around the cuff goes button to closure, not the entire length of the cuff.... also learned that the hard way.

Overall, I highly recommend the tailored shirt. The same service at your local tailor will cost about $200 a shirt. There are groupons/traveling tailors that charge less, but the online is pretty darn solid.

The site I use is Custom Shirts, Tailored Shirts, Dress Shirts | Modern Tailor Custom Tailored Suits and Shirts
Old 10-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I've started to buy tailored shirts online, and I highly recommend it. You can get a shirt that fits you perfectly and is a bit more comfortable than off the rack. Not sure about you guys, but typically if the sleeves and neck fit, the rest of the shirt doesn't. Some brands are better than others, but nothing compares to the online ones. I've only done it twice so far, but plan on doing it from here on forward. That said, it does take some tweaking to get the fit correct. My first shirt was pretty far off (mainly my fault, will explain later) and my 2nd shirt is great, but will tweak my measurements slightly when I order again.

Advantages:
- Easy. You don't have to go to a store and shop. You find a pattern you like and pretty much click order.
- Fairly large selection of fabrics.
- The custom fit is much more comfortable and you always get exactly what you want.
- Consistency. You're not going to have a bunch of shirts that all fit differently -- they'll all be the same which I think is nice.
- Customizable. You can change everything on these shirts to your liking. Type of collar (about 12 options), button placement, cuff cut, length, types of buttons, etc. Really, tons of options. Even plackard/collar linings, etc.

Cons:
- Instant gratification... or there lackeof. It takes about 2-3 weeks from the time you order until you get the shirt. So that can be frustrating.
- Picking shirts. You can't feel or see the fabrics, the site I recommend also doesn't do all the justice to each fabrics. This can be offset by buying fabric swatches.

Neutral:
- Price. These shirts range from cheap (30ish) to very expensive (200ish). I've read the sweetspot for most of these is the 60-90 range. Which is pretty competitive to what you'll see for the same quality of off the rack shirts.
- Expect to not wear the first shirt. The site I suggest has white/blue/black shirt available for $20 for first time customers. You may not want to wear that, but the 2nd one should be fine. You'll have an up-front investment, but it should payoff in the long run.

Advice:
- Measure an actual SHIRT not your body. Take your favorite shirt, and measure it 3-5 times. Have a friend measure it. Be very accurate. Also, be careful with your decimals... I made that issue on my first shirt's measurements. Order it just like your shirt measures, then tweak from there. I made some guesses the first time, and would have had a better shirt with original measurements.
- The measurement around the cuff goes button to closure, not the entire length of the cuff.... also learned that the hard way.

Overall, I highly recommend the tailored shirt. The same service at your local tailor will cost about $200 a shirt. There are groupons/traveling tailors that charge less, but the online is pretty darn solid.

The site I use is Custom Shirts, Tailored Shirts, Dress Shirts | Modern Tailor Custom Tailored Suits and Shirts
:headbange that's what i'm talking about!

thanks a million, daseal. that's the site i was going to try, the $20 trial shirt hooked me. your tips are greatly appreciated.

this one got better reviews but it seems as though $80 per shirt is as good as it gets, i don't know if you've checked them out.

Custom Suits & Mens Suits | Indochino

my internship ended 2 weeks ago and they extended me as a temp (bumping up my hourly wage in a massive way - i'm making more than i have ever before). i have an interview coming up in the next week or so for a permanent position, if i get it, i might as well start ballin'. right now i only have 2 shirts that fit me well. everyone else here wears khakis and polos, but i'm dressing for the job i want - not the job i have.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
they extended me as a temp (bumping up my hourly wage in a massive way - i'm making more than i have ever before).
Good for you, man!

Yard House. Just sayin'
Old 10-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Panda,

Friend of mine has done some suits from Indochino. For the price, the fabric they use is top notch. However, he had to have a local tailor spend some time fixing some of the bad stitching, and fix some of his measurements (his mistake.) Their customer service is pretty damn good, you can take your suit to a tailor, have them take measurements where it's wrong, send the suit back, and they'll fix it. IF you get your measurements correct -- incredibly cheap suits that fit well. They also asked him why he hadn't ordered another suit, he said that there were too many issues with the first to make a 2nd worth it -- so they gave him a free suit to try to win him back. Not sure if he's traded it in yet.