Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Full Blown Mutiny

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-23-2005, 11:42 AM   #1
illdefined
Playmaker

Full Blown Mutiny

is this what all this represents? all these 'core Redskins' have changed their minds. In Gibbs They Doubt.

Pierce and Smoot holding out just to see whats out there is understandable but still a slap to that Hall of Fame face. but Coles? this is unprecented here. no one doubts Williams of course, everyone loves him, but no one wants to wait for Gibbs to adjust and start putting up some points in the modern era. thats why the defensive players want to leave.

as us fans know, these close games are soul killers, the redskins have a cursed cloud over them. after all these guys say they want out, and with Coles being so spectacularly indignant, my question is: will Gibbs be the next one disgruntled?

the morale of this team will be rock bottom next year. then again, who knows. maybe less than zero offseason expectations is what this teams needs to click. or something.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: Full Blown Mutiny

Other than Coles it's all about the $$ with most of today's players, and a Gibbs coached team is no expection.

Winning does work wonders though as we've seen with the Patriots, but we're a long way from being confused with the best team of this decade.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:05 PM   #3
BossHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Other than Coles it's all about the $$ with most of today's players...
So what is it all about? I hope that Coles doesn't think he will somehow get on track to become an HOF WR. Maybe he thinks being traded after winning a SB will satisfy his career. This guy was a developing headcase after taking the fall for Peter Warwick at FSU. Coles you won't be missed.
BossHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
d151b
Special Teams

isay screw pierce. he has one good year, ONE. and now he thinks he's LT?! get lost man, we only want the peeps that want to be here!!!!!!
d151b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #5
illdefined
Playmaker

well so far that's only like Jansen and Ramsey. and Ramsey almost wanted to leave last year...
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:41 PM   #6
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Wow! I can't believe how quickly people have turned against Smoot, Pierce, Samuels, and Coles. All those guys were praised and loved by so many 'Skins fans.

Can anyone honestly blame Coles for feeling frustrated? He's played his ass off for a team that has won 11 of 32 games since he's been here, he was totally misused last season as a possession reciever, and the wide receiving corps was a patsy for our troubles in 2004. I don't blame him for wanting to move on.

As for Pierce and Smoot, can anyone honestly say they wouldn't try to get the most money they could. If you had the opportunity to earn several million dollars more by playing for another team, wouldn't you try to hit free agency? Neither of these guys are from D.C., they don't have any previous connection to the team, and they know they're about to hit the lottery. I can't say that we should be pissed at them for wanting to get the most money they can. Any player (or person) who says he doesn't care about money is crazy or a liar.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:15 PM   #7
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
Can anyone honestly blame Coles for feeling frustrated? He's played his ass off for a team that has won 11 of 32 games since he's been here, he was totally misused last season as a possession reciever, and the wide receiving corps was a patsy for our troubles in 2004. I don't blame him for wanting to move on.
I don't blame Coles for being frustrated, but wanting to jet after two seasons with the team he signed a long-term deal with? That's what I have a problem with.

What happens when he ends up with his next team and he becomes dissatisfied again, will he pull this crap again and leave his new team in a scramble to unload him?

I most certainly am disappointed and frustrated by his decision. Why should I support his decision? Explain that.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:35 PM   #8
BossHog

Quote:
Wow!... As for Pierce and Smoot, can anyone honestly say they wouldn't try to get the most money they could. If you had the opportunity to earn several million dollars more by playing for another team, wouldn't you try to hit free agency?... Any player (or person) who says he doesn't care about money is crazy or a liar.
But aren't these guys well paid? I know every dime counts, but this can't be just a paper chase.
BossHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:00 PM   #9
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

JWSleep:

Damn! If you narrow down the suspects to people at Redskin Park who may have been pissed as something Danny Boy did or said, you have probably included every hominid there - except his butt-boy, Vinny.

Monksdown:

Danny Boy paid $800M for the team and the stadium. However, he has not endeared himself to very many people inside the organization or in the league since then; other owners tolerate him because he makes a ton of money and that adds value to their franchises, but he isn't "best buds" with any of them. And, he treats players wonderfully just as they are signed, but after that... Even $800M does not allow you to be an arrogant tyrant with your organization - unless you want people to jump ship of course.

NCSkinfan:

The team does NOT lose every time there is a team/player conflict. Now when the team has overpaid for a player and given them a signing bonus that is nowhere near justified, then the team always loses. But the Eagles did not lose when they let Trotter go; they still won the Division and went ot the NFC championship game for both years that Trotter was gone. Then they resigned Trotter to a contract that was not only less than what he was asking for, it was less than half of what he had been making in Philly before he left town. So, how did they lose out there? The Skins lost out because they paid Trotter far more than he was worth then or is worth now or will ever be worth. And who did that???

Longtimefan:

In addition to the fact that the way we got Portis here was by his griping about his contract situation in Denver, please recall that Portis has already done a bit of griping about Joe Gibbs in his single year here. So, it is not impossible that Portis may be "disgruntled" sometime next season and asking out. Will that change his status here from a "warrior" to a "punk"?

Matty:

I don't think Coles relishes the amount of blocking he has to do on running plays in this offense. Yes he caught a bunch of balls in the last coupla years, but in the OBC offense, he was running a pattern when he wasn't getting the ball thrown to him. Now he's blocking down - sometimes on a linebacker - and I think he prefers the other kind of offense. I am NOT questioning his courage here. I'm saying he has a preference and blocking a guy who weighs about 80 pounds more than he does is not his preference.

monk81:

I think that the Skins threw deep on the Vikings because the Vikings defense was so vulnerable. I doubt that was due to some epiphany on the part of the offensive playcallers.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:22 PM   #10
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
monk81:

I think that the Skins threw deep on the Vikings because the Vikings defense was so vulnerable. I doubt that was due to some epiphany on the part of the offensive playcallers.

But Sportscurmudgeon.........there were other teams whose defense was vunerable and Gibbs DIDN'T throw deep.........we lost some close games, we might've won if we threw the ball down the field. ..remember,
people complained about how predictible the plays were..........players on other teams laughed about it........It wasn't just about the lousy Viking defense,in the last game the plays were diversified, Gibbs opened it up!...........
monk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:49 PM   #11
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Wow! I can't believe how quickly people have turned against Smoot, Pierce, Samuels, and Coles. All those guys were praised and loved by so many 'Skins fans.

As for Pierce and Smoot, can anyone honestly say they wouldn't try to get the most money they could. If you had the opportunity to earn several million dollars more by playing for another team, wouldn't you try to hit free agency? Neither of these guys are from D.C., they don't have any previous connection to the team, and they know they're about to hit the lottery. I can't say that we should be pissed at them for wanting to get the most money they can. Any player (or person) who says he doesn't care about money is crazy or a liar.
Honestly if I were one of these guys I wouldnt give a damn how much money I made, as long as I was making a living playing football. The one job in the world that to this day I still wish that I could have. My attention would be on winning games as opposed to how many more millions I can get in a year, or how many catches, or how many yards. But I am not one of these players nor will I ever be.
I would say that those overpayed palyers should take some time out to think about the people who don't make as much money. Or even contemplate how much other people will (no matter how bad the team is)give almost anything just to be given the opportunity to play the game professionally. But, that is probly too much to ask. They have already walked in our shoes once and they are not comming back. Greed has taken over, and the team that gave you your first shot at the pros isnt good enough anymore. You have proved your worth, and you are going to get yours no matter what.
The one thing that I am gratefuly for is that our United States Service Men and Women do not often trade teams as often just because someone is flashing dollar signs in there faces. I am also glad tht they do not have greedy agents.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:26 PM   #12
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg
Honestly if I were one of these guys I wouldnt give a damn how much money I made, as long as I was making a living playing football. The one job in the world that to this day I still wish that I could have. My attention would be on winning games as opposed to how many more millions I can get in a year, or how many catches, or how many yards. But I am not one of these players nor will I ever be.
I would say that those overpayed palyers should take some time out to think about the people who don't make as much money. Or even contemplate how much other people will (no matter how bad the team is)give almost anything just to be given the opportunity to play the game professionally. But, that is probly too much to ask. They have already walked in our shoes once and they are not comming back. Greed has taken over, and the team that gave you your first shot at the pros isnt good enough anymore. You have proved your worth, and you are going to get yours no matter what.
The one thing that I am gratefuly for is that our United States Service Men and Women do not often trade teams as often just because someone is flashing dollar signs in there faces. I am also glad tht they do not have greedy agents.
Amen to that. A few million more?! I mean people are SUPPOSED to be in this game for the love of it. I mean I would at LEAST hope that the love would at LEAST be 51% of the drive of a pro-athlete. If the desire for money outweighs the love of the game, then I don't see why there is any passion left in sports.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:32 PM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

A lot of people in careers outside of sports are in it because they love it, yet they still try to maximize their worth monetarily when the opportunity arises
Old 02-23-2005, 10:52 PM   #14
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootsmack
A lot of people in careers outside of sports are in it because they love it, yet they still try to maximize their worth monetarily when the opportunity arises
And that is why the Japaneese are better businessmen than we are. Loyalty to the company as opposed to loyalty to self and money.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:50 PM   #15
d151b
Special Teams

like i said, we only want the people who want to be here. and lc...... well he signed a contract which he must honor in my opinion. it's the right thing to do. but now he wants to be a little cry baby b/c he's not happy...... cry me a river.
d151b is offline   Reply With Quote