Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Most Disappointed in an Athlete

Other Sports

Old 12-09-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Most Disappointed in an Athlete

Whether we want to admit it, and whether it's right, we put pro athletes at a higher pedestal than we put even ourselves and expect them to be beyond reproach.

I have, I think, a bit of a unique perspective having been around pro athletes for much of the past decade on a daily basis. And I've told here about my personal experiences with Darrell Green and finding him to be less than the person I thought he was (still doesn't take away from what I think of him as a player or what he meant to Redskins fans). It was very disappointing, but in a way it was good because it was so early in my career that it prepared me moving forward. I should say I've been pleasantly surprised as well.

Anyway, my question is when have you been most disappointed with an athlete. And I'm not really talking about on-field performance. I'm talking about their actions off the field. Though if you want to include something like Palmeiro using steroids, that would count.

Was it finding out Mickey Mantle was an alcoholic who allegedly beat his kids, was it finding out Kirby Puckett was a womanizer who allegedly beat his wife, was it finding out Agassi was a druggie in his prime, was it finding out about Tiger, was it something else? Has it never happened? And maybe it was a college player, not necessarily an NFL player.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
Smooter
Impact Rookie

re: Most Disappointed in an Athlete

I remember being a kid and idolizing Mike Tyson. Watching him destroy people and playing his video game only to be shocked when his career took a complete 180. The baseball steroid scandal was another disappointment for me. Being a rangers fan I had grown to love players like Rafael Palmeiro and Juan Gonzalez.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
dmek25
MVP

Re: Most Disappointed in an Athlete

met Charles Barkley, and what you see is what you get. cool as hell. met Dr. J. and more of the same. carried himself just reeking of class. idolized Mike Schmidt as a kid, and never heard anything bad about him. i always looked at these guys as normal guys, that made it. maybe i didnt hold athletes as high as i thought i did
Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
Schneed10
A Dude

I've got issues with the premise. Fine thread, because a lot of people do put athletes on a pedastal, and do somehow get disappointed by athletes (or other celebrities) on a personal level.

I personally can't understand that, but that's just me. I want the Redskins to win desperately, and I do like when they're good guys. But I only care about their character and their actions to the extent that they disrupt the team's ability to win games.

When I learned John Riggins was out drinking before big games, I didn't care. Why? Because he was awesome, and the 'Skins won with him. If they had lost because of that stuff, I'd care.

But if Tiger Woods cheats on his wife, or Jason Campbell decides to smoke pot, Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care. I appreciate them for what they do on the field. That's where it ends, I don't know them as a person. And for me to pretend like I do or should is somewhat silly.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I've got issues with the premise. Fine thread, because a lot of people do put athletes on a pedastal, and do somehow get disappointed by athletes (or other celebrities) on a personal level.

I personally can't understand that, but that's just me. I want the Redskins to win desperately, and I do like when they're good guys. But I only care about their character and their actions to the extent that they disrupt the team's ability to win games.

When I learned John Riggins was out drinking before big games, I didn't care. Why? Because he was awesome, and the 'Skins won with him. If they had lost because of that stuff, I'd care.

But if Tiger Woods cheats on his wife, or Jason Campbell decides to smoke pot, Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care. I appreciate them for what they do on the field. That's where it ends, I don't know them as a person. And for me to pretend like I do or should is somewhat silly.

I totally agree with you as well. This is going to be very unpopular but I felt the same way when S. Taylor died. I was sad but I only knew him on a football field, I don't understand the folks that are crying their eyes out like a family member died, you didn't know him personally.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I totally agree with you as well. This is going to be very unpopular but I felt the same way when S. Taylor died. I was sad but I only knew him on a football field, I don't understand the folks that are crying their eyes out like a family member died, you didn't know him personally.
i didn't know sean, but when he died i felt like i lost a family member to an extent. i think it's cause he was so fun to watch on the feild and it was amazing to see him grow up so fast off the feild. i would hear all the stories about him and his daughter and the way it chaged him. i felt like he was cheated. sorry i could go on forever about taylor

i would say have to say bilicheat, i honestly used to really like the pats, once that stuff came out and i saw the video i lost all respect for him. cheating during games is something that i can't get past, and it makes me second guess all the accomplishments he has.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:

Excellent post schneed.
I agree with everything, and would like to add, I think most people that do put athletes on a pedastal are a tad bit delusional and don't see them as actual people. Being an athlete is their job and performing well has absolutely nothing to do with who you are. You could be the biggest prick on the planet and play a great game. See Ty Cobb. I had the benefit of knowing several celebrities as a child (and being related to some), and grew up with a close friend (Mike Glavine) with a big time brother (Tom) that we hung out with all the time and played wiffle ball etc. I like Tom, don't get me wrong, but he is not what people think he is. He is an every day guy with every day issues. He loses his temper like all of us, he makes mistakes like all of us. He's done things that you would have NEVER expected, and don't need to be mentioned. He, like the rest of us, have done dumb things, he is after all human!
Old 12-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Excellent post schneed.
I agree with everything, and would like to add, I think most people that do put athletes on a pedastal are a tad bit delusional and don't see them as actual people. Being an athlete is their job and performing well has absolutely nothing to do with who you are. You could be the biggest prick on the planet and play a great game. See Ty Cobb. I had the benefit of knowing several celebrities as a child (and being related to some), and grew up with a close friend (Mike Glavine) with a big time brother (Tom) that we hung out with all the time and played wiffle ball etc. I like Tom, don't get me wrong, but he is not what people think he is. He is an every day guy with every day issues. He loses his temper like all of us, he makes mistakes like all of us. He's done things that you would have NEVER expected, and don't need to be mentioned. He, like the rest of us, have done dumb things, he is after all human!
So, with all that being said, the disappointment in athletes that I have, are the ones that squander their gifts. Being someone that could have made it pro had it not been for a devastating shoulder injury, I hate to see these players throwing their hard earned careers away for dumb actions. Aka, Plaxico Burress. It's one thing to lose your career due to injury, it's TOTALLY another to lose it because you are just too high and mighty to think rules apply to you. Even so, I'm not "disappointed" per se, I shake my head that these people throw away the greatest opportunities of their lives. And for what?
Tiger having affairs has not changed my opinion of him at all. The man is human, and he has the most beautiful women in the world thowing themselves at him...we can't imagine how hard it is to say no. Tiger isn't throwing anything away other than money / endorsements, he's still a missively skilled golf player, the best this world has EVER seen, he will continue to be so.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
So, with all that being said, the disappointment in athletes that I have, are the ones that squander their gifts. Being someone that could have made it pro had it not been for a devastating shoulder injury, I hate to see these players throwing their hard earned careers away for dumb actions. Aka, Plaxico Burress. It's one thing to lose your career due to injury, it's TOTALLY another to lose it because you are just too high and mighty to think rules apply to you. Even so, I'm not "disappointed" per se, I shake my head that these people throw away the greatest opportunities of their lives. And for what?
Tiger having affairs has not changed my opinion of him at all. The man is human, and he has the most beautiful women in the world thowing themselves at him...we can't imagine how hard it is to say no. Tiger isn't throwing anything away other than money / endorsements, he's still a missively skilled golf player, the best this world has EVER seen, he will continue to be so.
SQUAWK!

Old 12-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
MTK
\m/

Quote:
SQUAWK!

lol I like the stars, very patriotic
Old 12-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
SQUAWK!

allllrighty. No clue what you're getting at.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #12
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Excellent post schneed.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #13
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
What part are you confused about?
Old 12-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #14
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:

I agree with Sneed and the only celebrity I can think of is Chuck Berry as he treats people like 3rd rate crap and I have seen this twice so it was not him just having a bad day.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I agree with Sneed and the only celebrity I can think of is Chuck Berry as he treats people like 3rd rate crap and I have seen this twice so it was not him just having a bad day.
And he never gave his cousin Marvin any credit...nor Marty for that matter