Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Say it ain't so Agent 0

Other Sports

Old 06-11-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Warpath
The Starter

Say it ain't so Agent 0

Wizards Say They Expected Arenas to Opt Out of Contract WASHINGTON, June 10 (AP) -- The Washington Wizards are committed to keeping Gilbert Arenas on the team, even after the All-Star guard said he planned to opt out of his contract.
Arenas told The Washington Post and The Washington Times that he will get out of the six-year, $65 million contract he signed in 2003 and become a free agent.
"As a three-time All-Star and one of the league's best players, we understand why a player of his stature would like to be compensated accordingly,'' Wizards president of basketball operations Ernie Grunfeld said in a statement.
"Gilbert has made a significant impact with his exploits on the court and a sincere connection with our fans and our community because of his compassion and generosity. Gilbert has said that his intention is to remain with our organization and we are committed to having him spend his entire career as a Washington Wizard.''
Arenas said his motive was strictly business.
"To me, it's just a smarter business decision to play next season, opt out and then be able to sign a long-term deal that is going to keep me in one place,'' Arenas, who is recovering from left knee surgery, told the Post.
"I have children now and I want to make the right decision for them,'' he told the Times.
Arenas said he has no plans to hire an agent.

Its ultimately Arenas decision, but can the Wiz let him go? They have to offer the maximum for him. Hes been the main guy here for a few years now, and the best player in a really long time. Please Agent 0 Don't Go!
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Re: Say it ain't so Agent 0

I expected him to do this, because it is the rational thing to do. Also I think he mentioned he might in the past. Look at it this way, when you receive your contract with a team you are an above average player yet you blossom into a superstar while on that team. Wouldn't you feel your old compensation is not fair?

He said several times, in the interview, that he wants to remain a Wizard and the front office wants the same. I doubt Gil will push too hard.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
FRPLG
MVP

No story here. I'd be shocked if he didn't. The Wiz will give him their max deal and he won't go anywhere. They'd be moronic not to. Grunfeld is a pretty good GM and will do everything he can to keep Gil. Now only if they could find some front court players to compete.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

The post said that one advantage the Wizards have over every other team is the fact that they are aloud to offer him a 6 year deal whereas everyone else can only offer him 5 years, max. So if he really is looking for the longest contract the Wizards are the natural choice.
As far as the front office is concerned, I think they have to offer him whatever he wants because he did what no one else, the almighty-Michael Jordan included, couldn't do: make this a perennial playoff team, and make them relevant in DC again.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Seriously. I think Ernie will get the job done and get him locked up here in Washington, if he leaves this team becomes shit again.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

On the one hand, this isn't a huge deal. It's smart for Arenas to opt out so he can go for the max as soon as possible. And only the Wizards can offer him the max anyway so theoretically we're in the best position to keep him.

On the other hand, this is Arenas we're talking about. He's the kind of guy who when he says it's not about the money, then it's not about the money. If he decides for a few million less he'd rather play in the central time zone because his stats are higher there (just made that up) then that's what he'll do.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
That Guy
Living Legend

no story. i expect him back. if ernie can't get it done (which i doubt), there won't be much reason to watch the team for a while.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

I like the Mavericks but if he wants to go I could see him on the Magic, or the Lakers

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #9
jsarno
Franchise Player

I just think it's wrong. He signed a 6 year 65 mil contract...that's not chump change. If he sucked would he expect the Wizards to not pay him that money? He should honor the contract...all players should. It's 100% about the money, and it's greed. If he knew he was this good, he should have signed a 3 year or less deal, not a 6 year.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #10
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I just think it's wrong. He signed a 6 year 65 mil contract...that's not chump change. If he sucked would he expect the Wizards to not pay him that money? He should honor the contract...all players should. It's 100% about the money, and it's greed. If he knew he was this good, he should have signed a 3 year or less deal, not a 6 year.
Well one thing is that if you compare his salary to other superstars like kobe, wade, lebron, etc it is much less. Also I dont think he is backing out, he is allowed to opt out. Everything he is doing is well within the contract guidelines and rational, IMO.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:44 PM   #11
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Well one thing is that if you compare his salary to other superstars like kobe, wade, lebron, etc it is much less. Also I dont think he is backing out, he is allowed to opt out. Everything he is doing is well within the contract guidelines and rational, IMO.
Does he have an opt out clause this early in the contract?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:49 PM   #12
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Does he have an opt out clause this early in the contract?
Hmm, I guess I am not sure. I guess what I meant to say is what he is doing is generally accepted practice, not like demanding a trade.

SS, do you know a bit mroe about this?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:52 PM   #13
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Hmm, I guess I am not sure. I guess what I meant to say is what he is doing is generally accepted practice, not like demanding a trade.

SS, do you know a bit mroe about this?
I know it may be "accepted practice", but I ask again, would it be fair if the Wizards took their money away if he sucked?
Old 06-12-2007, 08:42 AM   #14
FRPLG
MVP

Or you could just roll some rhymes.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote