Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Rookie Contracts

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-30-2004, 07:32 AM   #1
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Rookie Contracts

How much is the 5th overall pick expected to make? When will contract disputes be worked out? Will Taylor (and the other rookies) attend training camp today?

I know that there's some sort of help for teams so far over the cap they can't sign draftee's. WHat is this, anyone know?
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:08 AM   #2
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

It's actually tough to say how much the #5 pick is worth because each position is paid differently (thankfully, safety is one of the lowest paid positions in the league). I'm not sure how they are going to be able to figure out how much he's worth because there has not been a safety drafted so high since NFL players were excited to earn $50,000 a season.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:13 AM   #3
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

As to the Rookie Contracts Cap, the NFL gives each team a certain amount of cap room every year to sign their rookies and does not count such rookie year deals in the team's salary cap. Thus, Taylor Jacobs' salary was not counted against the Skins cap last year, but it will this year.

It is determined by the number of picks you have and how high those picks are.

Here's a decent article from last year about how it all goes down.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasqu...n/1547910.html
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:22 AM   #4
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
As to the Rookie Contracts Cap, the NFL gives each team a certain amount of cap room every year to sign their rookies and does not count such rookie year deals in the team's salary cap. Thus, Taylor Jacobs' salary was not counted against the Skins cap last year, but it will this year.
It is determined by the number of picks you have and how high those picks are.
Here's a decent article from last year about how it all goes down.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasqu...n/1547910.html
Ramseyfan
If I read your post correctly, I am pretty sure you are mistaken about the rookie pool not counting against our salary cap this year. If you read the 4th paragraph of the article you provided it says:
"The rookie pool is, essentially, a cap within a cap. A team's rookie pool allocation is part of, not an addition to, the league's $75.1 million spending limit."
The Redskins cut center Larry Moore to create cap space to sign our rookies.

In another article: http://www.vertgame.com/rookie_pool.html
it is explained a little better:
" Within the regular NFL salary cap is a second, or sub-cap, for signing rookies (including draft picks), which takes into account the number and placement in the draft order of each team's picks. Each team gets a certain share of a predetermined total amount of money (the "rookie pool") to spend on rookies. Since this money is counted against the overall cap, it's actually a cap within the cap.

The NFL created this gimmick to artificially keep rookie salaries from dramatically increasing and to give NFL teams leverage against rookies and their agents in negotiations.
Now any NFL team can say to a rookie and their agent "Sorry I cannot offer you anymore money in our negotiations because I have a cap on how I can spend on my draft picks."

Last edited by Defensewins; 04-30-2004 at 10:25 AM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:15 AM   #5
MTK
\m/

I remember reading somewhere that Taylor will likely get a signing bonus in the $13M neighborhood, not sure about the rest of the deal though.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 01:39 PM   #6
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
I remember reading somewhere that Taylor will likely get a signing bonus in the $13M neighborhood, not sure about the rest of the deal though.
Correct, last year terrance newman recieved a 19 mil. dollar contract, that inc. a 13 mil signing bonus, I read that somewhere.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 01:58 PM   #7
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
Correct, last year terrance newman recieved a 19 mil. dollar contract, that inc. a 13 mil signing bonus, I read that somewhere.
from a report I'd read about winslow signing i think his overall contract will go up about 10% as is the case each year. so that means he'll probably sign a contract around 21.75 million over 7 years with a 14.5 million sigining bonus, give or take a few hundred thousand.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:35 PM   #8
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru
from a report I'd read about winslow signing i think his overall contract will go up about 10% as is the case each year. so that means he'll probably sign a contract around 21.75 million over 7 years with a 14.5 million sigining bonus, give or take a few hundred thousand.
Yea that's what I have been hearing, the norm is usually around a 10% raise, I will also give him some credit as well for saying when asked how much it would take to sign him? and he said #6 money, that was a good job by winslow after the poston's started laying ground work for more money than the #6.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 12:48 AM   #9
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

found this page about the alloted rookie money while surfing around on espn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=1792396

Last edited by skinsfanthru&thru; 05-01-2004 at 12:51 AM.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote