MTK
\m/

Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

Kirk Cousins Draft Profile – NFL.com

let's talk about our new QB here
Old 04-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
GusFrerotte

Re: Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

I don't think the Cousins pick was a bad one. He automatically was better than Beck, and probably Rex. He isn't an exciting QB like Robert is, but he was pretty proficient at MSU, and is NFL caliber. To those doubting the pick, I ask you, would you really want Beck to have to play for us again or a bona fide QB that actually has the talent to come in in an emergency situation and at least keep us competitive?
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

I really like this pick. I see Rex sticking around for one more year as the primary backup, but we move on from him next year and Cousins is the #2. Good insurance policy, about damn time we have a quality backup to develop.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I really like this pick. I see Rex sticking around for one more year as the primary backup, but we move on from him next year and Cousins is the #2. Good insurance policy, about damn time we have a quality backup to develop.
Yep, smart guy who can make the throws. Just needs pro coaching. Can hang out behind RG3 and be a guy who gives you solid performances for those few games when RG3 is hurt.

And three years from now, you pull an Andy Reid and trade him for a 2nd rounder a la AJ Feeley and Kevin Kolb.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
The only negative here is that when RG3 struggles you know what's going to happen. People are going to be calling for Cousins.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
The only negative here is that when RG3 struggles you know what's going to happen. People are going to be calling for Cousins.
Oh well, can't fix stupid.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
That's crazy stupid. That's "the people who say that have no business being football fans" stupid. That's "I hope they don't reproduce" stupid.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Ala Shuler/Frerotte in '94. I was thinking that as well, but RG III will get a lot of help if he has some early struggles getting used to the pro level. Damn with these hogs the FO put in front of him and the nice little Wr corp we have with Garcon on board, he will fair better for sure than Shuler did. Cousins was brought in like Matty said for insurance. RG III is a smart guy and he made an average Baylor team bowl bound and a Big 12 contender after being a doormat forever. Shuler had good stats, but didn't make his team a real contender in a back then weak Pac 10.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
Ala Shuler/Frerotte in '94. I was thinking that as well, but RG III will get a lot of help if he has some early struggles getting used to the pro level. Damn with these hogs the FO put in front of him and the nice little Wr corp we have with Garcon on board, he will fair better for sure than Shuler did. Cousins was brought in like Matty said for insurance. RG III is a smart guy and he made an average Baylor team bowl bound and a Big 12 contender after being a doormat forever. Shuler had good stats, but didn't make his team a real contender in a back then weak Pac 10.
Gus wasn't even on the radar when he was drafted out of Tulsa. He was a 7th rounder. Cousins played at a high level in a top conference. He's got a legit resume. Big difference. And fyi...Shuler played at Tenn.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
exit0
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Not too long ago everybody was yelling for Beck to replace Rex.
exit0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit0 View Post
Not too long ago everybody was yelling for Beck to replace Rex.
Not everybody.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Just asking here but for how long?I understand the logic here but how long do you think he(Cousins)will be happy as a back up,I'm sure he believes he's a starter in the NFL and will want a chance to prove it.I see a play me or trade me ....down the road.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Just asking here but for how long?I understand the logic here but how long do you think he(Cousins)will be happy as a back up,I'm sure he believes he's a starter in the NFL and will want a chance to prove it.I see a play me or trade me ....down the road.
Play me or trade me?

Not sure how much leverage a 4th round backup will have.

He's a smart kid, I think he understands his situation. There's a reason he went in the 4th round. No matter what team he went to he was going to be starting off his career as a backup.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
GoSkins!
The Starter

Quote:
Play me or trade me?

Not sure how much leverage a 4th round backup will have.

He's a smart kid, I think he understands his situation. There's a reason he went in the 4th round. No matter what team he went to he was going to be starting off his career as a backup.
No kidding! The guy may want to be a starter, but I expect all the other 4th round backups will too. He will probably understand now that his best chance to start will be to perform well when he gets a chance and get traded into a starting role elsewhere.

I think this trade is about two things:
1: Getting a great value pick that can be traded for more in the future.
2: Creating trade leverage. Bruce Allen is putting his trade partners on alert that they can't wait for the skins to skip on a player because they only draft for need. If other teams want their guy, pay up.

Last edited by GoSkins!; 04-29-2012 at 12:00 PM.
GoSkins! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
Mechanix544
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins! View Post
No kidding! The guy may want to be a starter, but I expect all the other 4th round backups will too. He will probably understand now that his best chance to start will be to perform well when he gets a chance and get traded into a starting role elsewhere.

I think this trade is about two things:
1: Getting a great value pick that can be traded for more in the future.
2: Bruce Allen putting his trade partners on alert that the skins aren't afraid to take value players when it is his turn. This creates trade leverage.

Hit the nail on the head. This pickup will net us at least a 3rd rounder in 2 or 3 years. Plus, you think watching RG3 and being coached by our QB coaches wont help this guy? If corn on the kolb can fetch a 2nd and a top CB after learning from McNabb, who knows what we will get after a few years of this guy in our system.

Kudos on the pick, wish we could have gotten him with our second fourth rounder, but I say it would have been a 50/50 proposition that he fell. Nice forward thinking pick. Qb has turned from a glaring weakness to a possible glaring strength on this team!!!!!!
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote