Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Washington Wizards 2009-2010 Ongoing Thread

Other Sports

Old 10-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Washington Wizards 2009-2010 Ongoing Thread

Season is just a little over a week away and we're already hit with the injury bug

Antawn Jamison could be out up to 13 games into regular season - NBA - SI.com
Old 10-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
dmek25
MVP

Re: Washington Wizards 2009-2010 Ongoing Thread

since he coached your team, whats the deal with Eddie Jordan? can he coach? im a sixer fan, just wondering what we have
Old 10-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
since he coached your team, whats the deal with Eddie Jordan? can he coach? im a sixer fan, just wondering what we have
I always thought he was a middle of the pack coach. Not an elite coach, but above average. Get used to that Princeton offense. I wasn't much of a fan of it but offense was never really our problem under Jordan as much as it was the d.

As for the Wizards, I'm actually excited about our prospects this upcoming year. Losing Jamison for the first 13-18 or so games hurts but I'd rather overcome our lumps in the early season than have to deal with it around playoff time. Hopefully Arenas can stay healthy and lead this offense. And for all the talk I've heard about Blatche and Young becoming more focused, putting in all the work, etc. during the offseason, if they don't show it on the court it will be for naught. They remind me of DT and MK, all offseason we heard how much they are improving but they haven't done anything so far during the season.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
Jordan is a good coach. It was nice he was able to get us to the play offs a few times but the system just does not seem like a system that will take a team into the finals and allow them to win the big one. Maybe it was our player personel, which I would then argue why didn't he get the players he needed. Our team always seemed to have the smaller faster players, but we never ran up and down the court to tire out other teams.

A family member described the system as being a system that it's all about getting the ball up court then it's pass, pass, pass, use up the clock and shoot. Our system we are using now is more of a get the ball up court and shoot style of system. Perhaps some of you will argue with me but I felt my family member was somewhat correct.

As much as I liked Jordan as a coach I'm glad he's gone and we have moved on. It's nothing against Jordan it's just his system got old with me quick.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Season is just a little over a week away and we're already hit with the injury bug

Antawn Jamison could be out up to 13 games into regular season - NBA - SI.com
So what a day, week a month, it doesn't matter with this team. The injury bug and the Wizard's is like Jack on the Rock's. Automatic.

How long do you think Arenas will last..?

This can't be of any surprise.
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
dmek25
MVP

thanks mooby. he has got to be better then Tony Dileo, and the other scrubs the sixers have trotted out there the last couple of seasons
Old 10-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
FRPLG
MVP

There always seemed to be drama within the locker room surrounding Jordan. Maybe it was just the presence of Arenas but I think it was a problem.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #8
CooleyAsCanBe
Special Teams

Smoot: Thanks for starting this thread. I'm pretty excited about this year, but we've got to go at least .500 while Antawn's out. Although I like what Oberto's shown in the preseason, I hope Saunders gives Blatche substantial minutes and lets him work through mistakes. This could be a great growing period for him since he'd be in his natural position at the 4 instead of the 5 where he got most of his minutes last year.

Mooby: Completely agree with you on Jordan. I got tired of the Princeton offense and although Eddie is a nice guy, and from DC, I ended up getting tired of what I saw as unfocused and sometimes passive leadership. With all our health problems, can't really blame him too much. I'll always be grateful for bringing us back to the playoffs, but I'm not sad to see him go.

Frankly, I'm more excited about the hiring of Saunders than any of the player acquisitions. I think he's just as important to our progress as Gil being healthy again.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Anybody watch the season opener tonight? Man I'm even more pumped than I was before it started lol. Just hearing Phil do his classic "DAGGERRRRR" at the end brought me back to better times for the Wiz. Looks like the moves Ernie Grunfield did in the season are right so far. Miller was good, Foye came up huge matching Dallas' tempo at the end, and I can't say how much fun it was watching Arenas play like I haven't seen him play in what feels like 3 years now. And it wasn't even an individual effort as much as it was a complete team effort. The d was good as well holding Dallas to a 39.5 shooting percentage. Just a complete team effort all around, the scoring was spread around, and it didn't feel like Arenas was carrying the team even though he led the Wiz with 29 points. Sign of things to come? I sure hope so.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
CooleyAsCanBe
Special Teams

I have nothing bad to say about our team. Strong effort on both sides of the ball. We dominated Dallas the entire game and I never felt worried.

I was particularly impressed with Blatche and Oberto. Arenas looked ridiculous. I didn't miss Jamison at all. I am pretty excited about this season.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

I watched for a little bit after the caps game...and really liked what I saw. This is an entirely different team.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #12
itvnetop
Playmaker

Give Miller the start at the 2 and match Arenas with Foye to close out. Both are super clutch and if Butler's game is off, replace CB with Miller and we'd have three guys who could absolutely destroy teams in the 4th quarter.

Oberto's impact won't show up on stats, but he neutralized Dirk last night. Gil is looking to be much more efficient. I'd even think Jamison could improve the team by coming off the bench, if AB is up to starting.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Great to see Gil back to his old self...I hope it lasts all season.

Should be a great year...a lot of quality depth, especially at SG where we needed help. Critterton, Nick Young and Mike James did not even get on the court in the first game, but are some solid reserves.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Tough loss against a division opponent tonight. Hopefully Caron's injury isn't anything serious.

Wizards just could not get their shots down tonight. Bench struggled with Foye and Young going something like a combined 4-20. And Arenas with 7 turnovers. Ugh. Not good
Old 10-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Tough loss against a division opponent tonight. Hopefully Caron's injury isn't anything serious.

Wizards just could not get their shots down tonight. Bench struggled with Foye and Young going something like a combined 4-20. And Arenas with 7 turnovers. Ugh. Not good
!!!!???? I didn't see any of the game. What happened to Caron?? First Jamison, now him? This shit better not be happening again.