Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Some Things Never Change (WP:RI Article)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Some Things Never Change (WP:RI Article)

Looks like Cerrato is staying and Snyder has no intention of changing his meddling ways...

Redskins Insider - McCoy, Clausen draw Redskins' attention

Quote:
McCoy, Clausen draw Redskins' attention
Owner Daniel Snyder and Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, recently attended a University of Texas game to scout quarterback Colt McCoy, according to sources within the organization. Cerrato also made a trip to conduct an in-person evaluation of Notre Dame junior quarterback Jimmy Clausen, who this week declared for the draft.

The belief among some at Redskins Park is that Snyder and Cerrato plan to use the team's first draft pick this year in their quest to find the Redskins' next franchise quarterback, which could signal the end of Jason Campbell's tenure with the team. He will be a restricted free agent at the end of the season, which means the Redskins could match any offers he received.
Now, scouting is part of Cerrato's job, so that part doesn't bother me at all. However, depending on how you feel about Cerrato, there are many potentially troubling items to be found in this report. The most troubling to me are:

1) Snyder is "scouting" players.
2) Snyder is "scouting" a quarterback before hiring a head coach.

Given those two facts, it appears we're set to hire a puppet HC again. Good times, good times.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

re: Some Things Never Change (WP:RI Article)

Well until the season ends and something changes it's business as usual at the Park. I wouldn't read too far into it.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Well until the season ends and something changes it's business as usual at the Park. I wouldn't read too far into it.
So its not atypical for owners to "scout" players with their GMs?
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Snyder just doesn't get it. Why would any respectable new GM take scouting notes/advice from these two inept morons.

Waiting until the offseason to hire a new GM is too late.
It will give very little time to hire a scouting staff and be properly prepared for the draft.
Snyder has no intentions hiring a new GM. Vinny and Dan are it..they are here to stay. Snyder is determined and will wait as long as it takes (years) to allow himself and Vinny every chance to right the ship. He can not be wrong on this one and replacing Vinny and himself as the FO deciders (W. Bush speak) would be admission of failure. So it will never happen.
They will hire a GM/FO consultant to help them and will hope that pacifies the angry fans.
This is big EGO Dan Snyder we are talking about...he will not give up the FO.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Snyder just doesn't get it. Why would any respectable new GM take scouting notes/advice from these two inept morons.

Waiting until the offseason to hire a new GM is too late.
It will give very little time to hire a scouting staff and be properly prepared for the draft.
Snyder has no intentions hiring a new GM. Vinny and Dan are it..they are here to stay. Snyder is determined and will wait as long as it takes (years) to allow himself and Vinny every chance to right the ship. He can not be wrong on this one and replacing Vinny and himself as the FO deciders (W. Bush speak) would be admission of failure. So it will never happen.
They will hire a GM/FO consultant to help them and will hope that pacifies the angry fans.
This is big EGO Dan Snyder we are talking about...he will not give up the FO.
I think you are 100% right here. Everything we're seeing up to this point indicates Snyder will maintain the status quo and keep Vinny on as the toady with Snyder providing significant input. I think right now it's about 50/50 whether Snyder gets much more involved in the GM role, especially personnel and roster decisions, or brings in another toady type to feign the decision by committee approach. Don't get me wrong I expect the results to be almost identical either way.

When your de facto GM essentially blew the season because he largely ignored the team's biggest weakness (OL), and you expect to bring in a new coach and see player turnover, it makes no sense to keep said GM in his position unless you want him there going forward. It doesn't mean you'll hire a new GM mid-season, although if there's a great candidate available and the relationship works why not make the hire. But the point is why keep the guy who purportedly created the shit-show to keep scouting or whatever else if ultimately those decisions will rest w/ the new chief?

Put it another way...does anyone here think an incoming GM could give two shits what/who Vinny scouted? I mean, yes wouldn't an honest answer here. Vinny would struggle mightily to find gainful employment w/ any other franchise in football. He has few contacts, almost no personal skills, very little respect around the league and sounds like a lobotomy patient every time he opens his mouth. You don't keep a guy like this around and expect to be taken serious by the true professionals. Snyder has no intention of legitimizing the FO or his franchise.

^^^^^^^^More than anything else I would like to be dead wrong here.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Put it another way...does anyone here think an incoming GM could give two shits what/who Vinny scouted? I mean, yes wouldn't an honest answer here. Vinny would struggle mightily to find gainful employment w/ any other franchise in football. He has few contacts, almost no personal skills, very little respect around the league and sounds like a lobotomy patient every time he opens his mouth. You don't keep a guy like this around and expect to be taken serious by the true professionals. Snyder has no intention of legitimizing the FO or his franchise.

^^^^^^^^More than anything else I would like to be dead wrong here.
you might be surprised

i hope so

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
#56fanatic
The Starter

Re: Some Things Never Change (WP:RI Article)

Quote:

I understand what your saying, but honestly these two scouting players is just the shit that irritates me to death. The owner wouldn't know the difference between a good and bad QB if I was in a uniform throwing balls around. And the fact that Vinny is still on these "trips" is the most frustrating thing along with doing this and not even having the season over, plus a lame duck coach, and no coach for next season at all. This FO doesn't even need to be doing shit like this right now. What if the next guy comes in and says we need to draft OLINE and keep campbell?? Until Vinny is gone, and Danny just freaking signs the checks this is what we'll deal with.

Interesting point in an article...We all know we have not drafted a Olineman in the 1st or 2nd round since 99 or 2000 (only 2, i think, in the 3rd round since then) but we have not drafted a RB since Betts!! How many f'n drafts is that by not selecting important positions?? I swear if this front office, meaning Vinny and Danny, are still doing the same shit next year as they have done the last 10 years, I AM DONE! We all need to stop going to freaking games, leave the seats empty, stop buying shit until something changes. Nothing will change as long as we keep supporting this crap.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
I understand what your saying, but honestly these two scouting players is just the shit that irritates me to death. The owner wouldn't know the difference between a good and bad QB if I was in a uniform throwing balls around. And the fact that Vinny is still on these "trips" is the most frustrating thing along with doing this and not even having the season over, plus a lame duck coach, and no coach for next season at all. This FO doesn't even need to be doing shit like this right now. What if the next guy comes in and says we need to draft OLINE and keep campbell?? Until Vinny is gone, and Danny just freaking signs the checks this is what we'll deal with.
How do you know we don't have scouts going all over the country (along with Scott Campbell and Vinny Cerrato-since, you know, they oversee it all) scouting players at all positions?
Old 12-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
#56fanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
How do you know we don't have scouts going all over the country (along with Scott Campbell and Vinny Cerrato-since, you know, they oversee it all) scouting players at all positions?

I am sure we have scouts all over the country, but honestly when do you think Vinny and Danny actually listen to them? Vinny has done a horrible job of drafting for this organization, absolutely horrible. You can't justify him being successful because he hasn't. Since these two geniouses have taken over we have the WORST draft history in the entire NFL.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I am sure we have scouts all over the country, but honestly when do you think Vinny and Danny actually listen to them? Vinny has done a horrible job of drafting for this organization, absolutely horrible. You can't justify him being successful because he hasn't. Since these two geniouses have taken over we have the WORST draft history in the entire NFL.
ok whatever you say
Old 12-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #11
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Orakpo, Mitchell, Barnes, Thomas, Davis, Kelly, Horton, Rinehart have all either proven they belong in the NFL or have shown enough improvement since they got here to say they could be good depth guys for us. And that's just the last 2 drafts alone.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

It just makes me sick to my stomach that these two continue to make decisions for this organization.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
maroonandblack30
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
It just makes me sick to my stomach that these two continue to make decisions for this organization.
was thinking the exact same thing.

The fact that Snyder is "scouting" is humiliating. Seriously WTF is he using to evaluate talent? coaching background? playing background?

Completely embarassing.
maroonandblack30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonandblack30 View Post
was thinking the exact same thing.

The fact that Snyder is "scouting" is humiliating. Seriously WTF is he using to evaluate talent? coaching background? playing background?

Completely embarassing.
i hear he has won three fantasy football championships in the past decade

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #15
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Speaking of which, how much does Vinny get paid the Redskins? Oh well, personally this scares the crap out of me, in spite of the things Smootsmack has said. My absolute last bastion of hope was that Vinny would overcompensate and go after a bunch of O-Lineman in the draft, just like he did with the D-Line last year, and the recievers the year before. However if Vinny is allowed to stay then I can easily tell you how our draft is going to turn out.

1st. QB
2nd. RB
4th. LB
5th. CB
6th. K
7th. WR

He'll then go along with his annual tradition of explaining best player available and his holy draft board all while telling us what a great find Mike Williams and Levi Jones were then tell us how Heyer is a pro bowler when he bends his knees and that he thinks Samuals is coming back to play. Oh and who can forget the amazing progress Rhinehart has made. Then he'll sign one or two bargain basement free agents.

This seriously can't go on can it? I keep on reading this article and I think I'm in some drug induced nightmare. If it was just Cerrato going on recruiting trips then I could spin it but Snyder going along might as well be a vote of confidence in the teams front office structure as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe I'm being irrational, but I won't be able to rest easy until 2011. Thats right 2011 during a one year anniversary of a Redskins Insider report explaining how Vinny has been removed from the player evaluation and selection side of the Redskins.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote