Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Let's Talk Levi Jones and Offensive Line

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
12thMan
MVP

Let's Talk Levi Jones and Offensive Line

I think it's safe to say Levi had a solid game yesterday if not great. I noticed during yesterday's post game interview with Kelli Johnson (Comcast) she asked him about the sack he gave up against Elvis Dumervil . Levi gave her this incredulous look and said, I'm not sure I gave that sack up; I'm not sure that was on me. We'll have to see what the game tape shows tomorrow.

I liked that response - that he wasn't willing to concede a sack during an interview after a most satisfying win. But I have to wonder if Jones does pan out for the remainder of the season, and has another good outing vs. the Cowboys, how will that affect our draft needs along the offensive line in the future?

However this all works out, it was great to see Betts and Rock pound the ball old school style. Part of me wonders if we string together a few more hundred yard performances, should we or will we stick with this unit or draft an o-lineman in the first round like we probably should.

During yesterday's broadcast CBS flashed an interesting statistic that the Washington Redskins were the only team in the NFL that hadn't drafted an offensive lineman in the first two rounds since 2001.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
tootergray34
Impact Rookie

Re: Let's Talk Levi Jones and Offensive Line

let's see him versus D Ware...should be an interesting matchup...not sure if that's d ware's side...god i hope so...s heyer would get smoked!
tootergray34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
LMsexyAO
Impact Rookie

Personally, I still think we need a first round tackle in next year's draft. Even if Levi pans out, SH is simply a below average starter with razor thin depth on the entire line as a whole. I think the only way we don't draft a first round OL is if Samuels decides not to retire and even then it would have to be addressed multiple times in the early rounds.
LMsexyAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
12thMan
MVP

But don't forget that Dumervil leads the NFL in sacks.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
skinster
Impact Rookie

dumervil got sacks in bulks against poor teams
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:02 AM   #6
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
dumervil got sacks in bulks against poor teams
Poor teams? Denver has played the Patriots, San Diego, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati...the only bad teams the Broncos has played has been the Browns and the Raiders (and now us I guess).
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #7
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Even if Levi does good against the cowboys, we still need OL as our number 1 priority. but I'd definitley bring him back next year as a backup or starter at RT.
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:27 AM   #8
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Even if Levi does good against the cowboys, we still need OL as our number 1 priority. but I'd definitley bring him back next year as a backup or starter at RT.
Agreed...I really don't see why we can't do what the Ravens are doing with Michael Oher...they are starting him at RT, but when Gaither went down, he moved to LT. Levi seems to have a few years left in the tank, and we can use those years to groom a franchise LT.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:08 AM   #9
takethecake
Special Teams

I was watching Levi in particular on Sunday, and I agree, he did do a solid job. That being said, I'm no expert on breaking down game tape, and I'd be interested to know what affected our line the most. Maybe Rinehart is actually a decent guard, or maybe heyer is actually playable on the right side, or maybe its the addition of levi. And I know this has been discussed to death on espn980, but I wonder if betts is really a better runner behind our line than portis right now... although that wouldn't really affect the better pass pro.
takethecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #10
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
It's well documented we need OL help, I'm convinced management has come to that realization as well.

Levi Jones had a very good outing on Sunday, if he continues to play well for the remainder of the season, don't look for him to consider a back-up role with the Redskins next season. If he's over his injuries, he's a gifted athlete and will garner interest as a starter for some team.

Based on his post-game interview RT does not apear to be a preference for him. What happens with Samuels will go a long way in making a determination about the LT position.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:05 AM   #11
CantonLegend
Special Teams

Levi jones could be a pro bowler if injuries wouldnt have hampered his career thus far

he will be a great starting point for the construction of your O-line

its a shame the bengals didnt see what they had because he could be starting opposite andre smith this season and their offense would be even more dangerous
CantonLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:15 AM   #12
SkinEmAll
Special Teams

levi is pretty gangster, i wasnt sure what to think while watching him on comcast post game, but maybe we need a lil attitude like that, just not too much gangster, lol
SkinEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #13
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

[QUOTE=CantonLegend;62650 its a shame the bengals didnt see what they had because he could be starting opposite andre smith this season and their offense would be even more dangerous[/QUOTE]

I think the Bengals saw what they got and didn't need him. They have 3 new starters on the OL (there's hope for us next year) and none of the starters is Andre Smith (their #1 draft pick). The OL for the Bengals attributes to their success this year. That could be us next year if we draft wisely on the OL and sign a FA or 2, maybe keep Jones.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth

Last edited by SFREDSKIN; 11-17-2009 at 11:50 AM.
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #14
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
Levi jones could be a pro bowler if injuries wouldnt have hampered his career thus far

he will be a great starting point for the construction of your O-line

its a shame the bengals didnt see what they had because he could be starting opposite andre smith this season and their offense would be even more dangerous
i didnt know smith has taken a snap yet. im not sure of this but i thought with his holdout then injury 5 seconds into his first practice, he hadnt played or started yet.

go skins!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #15
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
i didnt know smith has taken a snap yet. im not sure of this but i thought with his holdout then injury 5 seconds into his first practice, he hadnt played or started yet.

go skins!
He hasn't yet. But it is Mike Sellers's fault so it's all good.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote