Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

More media hate

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-26-2004, 02:08 PM   #1
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

More media hate

From Peter King, MMQB.

"I think these drafts I didn't like: Philadelphia (first- and second-round picks for the second-best tackle in the draft, Shawn Andrews, who has battled major weight problems), Cincinnati (Chris Perry over Kevin Jones is a big mistake), and Washington (I'm still down on them for the idiotic deal that sent the second-round pick to Denver in the Champ Bailey-Clinton Portis trade)."

What's up with that? I don't hear any other media types dogging us for that deal, the Cowboy homer, MICHAEL IRVIN (sorry, felt the need to shout like him) said he never would have done that deal if he was in Denver's shoes.. I'll be more than happy to go into this year with Portis, Springs and Sean Taylor than Bronco fans will be with Bailey and Tatum Bell (who was our 2nd round pick)..
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:19 PM   #2
]<ing
Camp Scrub

The only thing I didn't like about the Portis/Bailey deal was the 2nd rounder we gave up -- it was unnecessary IMO.

Synder & Co are the medias favorite punching bags -- no big deal.
]<ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:22 PM   #3
cpayne5
Playmaker

I don't mind at all giving up that 2nd rounder. 1,500 yds/ 15 td's will make the pain go away.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:22 PM   #4
beg8878
Special Teams

I've said it before and I'll say it again....

Until we put up W's in the fall, we deserve the abuse we get right now.
beg8878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:28 PM   #5
cpayne5
Playmaker

I doubt that the abuse will stop when the Ws start piling up.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
memphisskin
Impact Rookie

I thought the 2nd rounder was a bit much too, but anything is better than another year of Canidate.

You can't put too much stock in media analysis of the draft because it takes a few years to see the impact of a draft. All they have to go by now is the draft grades and "what they would have done." As for Peter King, he's in love with the Patriots and if it's not their way then it's wrong.
memphisskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:35 PM   #7
hi-jinx
Special Teams

I still think that giving up that 2nd was too high as well. RBs grow on trees for Denver but a shutdown CB is rare indeed. I am not saying that Portis wont do well for us, but if Denver wouldn't take the trade straight up or for like a 4th-5th rounder then we coulda went for Dillon or traded Baily for Draft picks.

Last edited by hi-jinx; 04-26-2004 at 03:47 PM.
hi-jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:42 PM   #8
]<ing
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-jinx
I still think that giving up that 2nd was too high as well. RBs grow on trees for Denver but a shutdown CB is rare indeed. I am not saying that Portis wont do well for us, but if Denver wouldn't tkae the trad straight up or for like a 4th-5th rounder then we coulda went for Dillon or traded Baily for Draft picks.
Don't get me wrong here -- I'm extremely glad to have Portis aboard. Despite the way Denver churns out RBs, he's different - he's elite. And considering the fact that Bailey wanted out regardless of the kind of money we would offer, I think that we did a hell of a job getting a back of Portis's caliber out of it all.

Having said all that -- I just think that the 2nd rounder was unnecessary. I think they would've done the deal without the pick involved. They needed a corner and loved Bailey, and if we would've played a little hardball, we could've kept the 2nd and landed another D-lineman. Hell, Starks dropped to the 3rd round.....
Old 04-26-2004, 03:37 PM   #9
Phat Hog
Camp Scrub

Peter King must be in cahoots with Len Pastabelly
Phat Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:41 PM   #10
Dave Butz Baby!
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Hog
Peter King must be in cahoots with Len Pastabelly
Along with "Dr." Z.

Anyone see him on one of those flashbacks during the draft where Dr. Z. just absolutely slammed the Dolphins for their first round pick in 1983? Said he completely didn't understand it, that the 'Fins front office was incompetent and that this pick would haunt them for years.

The pick?

Dan Marino.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:40 PM   #11
MTK
\m/

Look at it this way, we got Portis for a 2nd round pick. What's wrong with that?

Was there a Portis in this years' second round? We'll have to wait and see but I doubt it. Gibbs talks of getting a proven guy when he talks about Portis and what they gave up. Bailey was a goner anyway.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 02:45 AM   #12
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Look at it this way, we got Portis for a 2nd round pick. What's wrong with that?

Was there a Portis in this years' second round? We'll have to wait and see but I doubt it. Gibbs talks of getting a proven guy when he talks about Portis and what they gave up. Bailey was a goner anyway.
Even though I as well thought we could get that deal done without a 2nd rd pick, it is what it is, if we get 1 undrafted sleeper this year we will have made up for it, It will come down to this, if portis does for us as he did for denver we win this deal, but if he's not a special back for us, then denver win's, I know denver feel's that the system makes the back, believing that any back with speed can be a clinton portis, only time will tell, for the record I wasen't as big of a fan of bailey as other's, personally I think this kid deangelo hall will be much better than bailey. OH yea, and also don't forget about Ade Jimoh. lol
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:50 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

Some of you speak of the deal like you were involved in the negotiations.

How do we know what the Broncos were asking for?

Who's to say the 'Skins just offered up Bailey and a 2nd rounder??

Perhaps the price was higher and a 2nd is what was settled on?

Snyder is a businessman, he knows how to work a deal, I doubt he just threw all his cards on the table and said here ya go Denver, take whatever you want.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:55 PM   #14
hi-jinx
Special Teams

I dont know whta Denver wanted, but I think Bailey and a 2nd was too high. The move over all seemed to be made fast. I can't believe that no one on the NFL wanted a top 5 CB.
hi-jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:06 PM   #15
]<ing
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Some of you speak of the deal like you were involved in the negotiations.

How do we know what the Broncos were asking for?

Who's to say the 'Skins just offered up Bailey and a 2nd rounder??

Perhaps the price was higher and a 2nd is what was settled on?

Snyder is a businessman, he knows how to work a deal, I doubt he just threw all his cards on the table and said here ya go Denver, take whatever you want.
That's why I'm using words like "I THINK".

That's my opinion -- nothing more. Take it for what it's worth.

I don't think anyone's going to assume I'm a high ranking Redskin official chatting to footy on a message board.