Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

The Masters

Other Sports

Old 04-02-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
firstdown
Living Legend

The Masters

The Master's starts in a few days and this is my favorite out of all the majors. So, who do you guys think will get that Green Jacket this year?
I'm pulling for Phil but for some reason I think its going to be a long shot which wins. Here's a link to the Masters site for anyone who wants to keep updated.

The Official Site of the Masters Tournament
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: The Masters

A tradition unlike any other...

Ah, warm weather, azaleas and rhodos in bloom, and the soothing sound of Jim Nantz's velvety voice. This is how you know spring has arrived.

I love this tournament so much. I have a painting on my dining room wall of the 12th green at Augusta. I've also got a list of things I'd like to do before I die, and one is play a round at Augusta National. Pretty hard to do, given how exclusive it is. But I'd love to find a way.

As for the big winner, it's boring I know, but Tiger is playing SO well right now. It's really hard to pick against him. I'm also a fan of his, I'd love to see him get Jack's 18 majors.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
A tradition unlike any other...

Ah, warm weather, azaleas and rhodos in bloom, and the soothing sound of Jim Nantz's velvety voice. This is how you know spring has arrived.

I love this tournament so much. I have a painting on my dining room wall of the 12th green at Augusta. I've also got a list of things I'd like to do before I die, and one is play a round at Augusta National. Pretty hard to do, given how exclusive it is. But I'd love to find a way.

As for the big winner, it's boring I know, but Tiger is playing SO well right now. It's really hard to pick against him. I'm also a fan of his, I'd love to see him get Jack's 18 majors.
A buddy of mine played there several years back with one of his customer and he said TV does nothing for the course. He quit keeping score after like the 8th hole because it was so tough. He is about a 6 to 8 handicap and made a 9 and a 10 on a couple of holes. He said it was like putting on you kitchen counter and if you missed a short putt it could roll right off the green.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #4
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
A buddy of mine played there several years back with one of his customer and he said TV does nothing for the course. He quit keeping score after like the 8th hole because it was so tough. He is about a 6 to 8 handicap and made a 9 and a 10 on a couple of holes. He said it was like putting on you kitchen counter and if you missed a short putt it could roll right off the green.
Damn. I'm about an eight, maybe a ten these days. Sounds like the course will rape me. That's ok though, it would be an experience just to play there.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Damn. I'm about an eight, maybe a ten these days. Sounds like the course will rape me. That's ok though, it would be an experience just to play there.
He said around the greens is what will kill you. They are raised and if the ball is not placed just right it will roll of the back, sides, and front of the green. Then you have to chip back onto the green and its easy to hit it to soft and have it roll back to ya or hit it to hard and roll off the other side. Then putting is another thing all together. He had a 3' down hill putt which rolled 20' and off the green. 7 shots later he had it in the cup.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
jdlea
Playmaker

I always pull for Tiger, I've always liked him. I hope he gets to another Tiger Slam.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #7
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

It's hard not to like Tiger...but if I'm a betting man, I always take the field in the annual "Tiger vs. the field" bet.

As much as I like Lefty, I don't see him winning back to back. I'm not a big Vijay fan. I wonder if Adam Scott is hitting his stride...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #8
jbcjr14
The Starter

Tiger is playing very well right now but I think this could be the year a "shocker" wins...I like Henrik Stenson, that dude can PLAY!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
djnemo65
Playmaker

The masters is my favorite major. It's hard to ever bet against Tiger, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the local boy Charles Howells come through on his home course. Eventually Adam Scott is going to have to win one to, and if he can make his puts I think he will be formidable with his length. Finally, with Vijay coming off a great win at Bay Hill he might just have one more major in him. Should be a great tournament though. No rain for the first time in forever.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #10
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Phils my boy....

but I think Tiger will win, which I dont mind becuase I like Tiger too.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #11
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Renditions - Golf's Grand Slam Experience

This is a course in Davidsonville, MD (between the Capital Beltway and Annapolis), and each hole is a replica of a famous hole from a Major Championship. #s 6, 7, & 8 is Amen Corner, complete with scoreboard and stone bridge. #13 is Sawgrass's #17 (Island Green). It's a pretty neat experience and I highly recommend it.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:45 PM   #12
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post

This is a course in Davidsonville, MD (between the Capital Beltway and Annapolis), and each hole is a replica of a famous hole from a Major Championship. #s 6, 7, & 8 is Amen Corner, complete with scoreboard and stone bridge. #13 is Sawgrass's #17 (Island Green). It's a pretty neat experience and I highly recommend it.
Yeah they have one of those in Myrtle Beach too...it was so fun to play.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #13
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
Yeah they have one of those in Myrtle Beach too...it was so fun to play.
Do you know what the name of the one in MB is called. I'll be down with a group of 16 guys the 1st week of may and that would be a fun course to play.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #14
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Do you know what the name of the one in MB is called. I'll be down with a group of 16 guys the 1st week of may and that would be a fun course to play.
I believe he's referring to World Tour. I've considered playing there a few times, but it's $120 for me and I get a break cause I'm a "local." My parents moved there over last fall/winter.

If you need to know how to get there, it's really close to Arrowhead and River Oaks (horrible, never play there). It's more inland, almost like West Myrtle, in fact, it's damn near in Conway. However, if you know how to get to 17/Broadway at the Beach, you just take 501 North a little bit and then you take the River Oaks Dr exit, it's just past River Oaks golf course. You'll know when you see it, I've heard great things, but when I can play Arrowhead for $35 I'm not gonna play $120 for it.

Also, $120 gets you a player's assistant assigned to your group. Water's free and I believe they provide towels, I'm not positive they won't go get you stuff, and you can consult with them about wind, yardage, pin placement and how to play the hole. I've heard great things about the course.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #15
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post

That's awesome. How much does it cost to play there?
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote