Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

US Open Picks

Other Sports

Old 06-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
firstdown
Living Legend

US Open Picks

Tiger's game has been off the past several weeks and this tall rough will do him in. Phil has that wrist injury which could help him by trying to stay in the short stuff but I don't think he will get it done and he could miss the cut. I'm going with a no name for this one and a no pick.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
djnemo65
Playmaker

Re: US Open Picks

Going with a no name is fine but come on, you have to name somebody? I personally think Tiger is due for a US open victory. It's been since Bethpage in 02. Plus he has won a tournament since the masters I believe. So I'd go with him. But my darkhorse is Henrik Stenson. Plus, Adam Scott is going to have to make a push one of these days on a major sunday.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
jbcjr14
The Starter

I am taking David Toms in this one. He keeps the ball in play and can putt the lights out when he is on fire. US Open golf is all about keeping the ball in the fairway and making PARS. Toms does that well and could win and should be in the top 5 on Sunday.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcjr14 View Post
I am taking David Toms in this one. He keeps the ball in play and can putt the lights out when he is on fire. US Open golf is all about keeping the ball in the fairway and making PARS. Toms does that well and could win and should be in the top 5 on Sunday.
Toms doesn't have the length off the tee though. If you look at his record in majors he has traditionally played best at the PGA, which has historically emphasized shotmaking over length (although clearly that's changing). Still, I do think Toms has one more major in him. I think his accuracy and approach game will keep him in the mix and if he can throw a couple birdies in there who knows?
Old 06-13-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Phil does have the wrist thing, but l'll be rooting for him anyway. Keeping it in the middle this week is the deal, espicially for him, with the bum wrist. That rough is brutal.

If he can make it through Sunday I think he'll be in the mix & after last year "STUPID" mistake, I'm sure this would be the sweetest victory to date if he can pull it off. I look for Furyk to play well, this course sets up nicely for him.
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan_nn View Post
Phil does have the wrist thing, but l'll be rooting for him anyway. Keeping it in the middle this week is the deal, espicially for him, with the bum wrist. That rough is brutal.

If he can make it through Sunday I think he'll be in the mix & after last year "STUPID" mistake, I'm sure this would be the sweetest victory to date if he can pull it off. I look for Furyk to play well, this course sets up nicely for him.
Man, how could I forget Furyk. He's already got one US and he should have won last year. Forget what I just said about length, Furyk will represent. Manheim PA in the house BOOOOYYYYYEEEEE!
Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
Man, how could I forget Furyk. He's already got one US and he should have won last year. Forget what I just said about length, Furyk will represent. Manheim PA in the house BOOOOYYYYYEEEEE!

This course fits Jim's game extremely well! Jim always seems to be in the US open on Sunday afternoon, when it counts, down the stretch.

He's not to be taken lightly, very straight off the box, and putts very well on slick greens. He has all the tools to be in the mix Sunday afternoon.
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

Old 06-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #8
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
furyk is from manheim township, not manheim. are you from around here djnemo?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 PM   #9
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
furyk is from manheim township, not manheim. are you from around here djnemo?
Gettysburg
Old 06-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
jbcjr14
The Starter

Quote:
Gettysburg
I played in a District Golf Tourney in High School against Jim Furyk. He dusted the field in 1987 by at least 15 shots.

Oh, yeah...early on, Mr. Toms is tied for the lead at -2!
Old 06-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #11
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Talking about Oakmont, did anyone catch the Johnny Miller special on the golf channel last night. I've been watchin Johnny M for a long time, what a good, straight shooting, stand up tell it like it is guy.

And the Open he won at Oakmont in 73 was truely UNREAL!

Geeeez, a darn 288 yard PAR 3, my lord and the greens like a waxed bowling lane. I will really be surprised if however can tame this beast, can get in the RED Sunday. Whoever, wins on Sunday afternoon will be LUCKY to be +2. GOOD LUCK. This is probually the toughest challenge in golf bar none.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #12
firstdown
Living Legend

Ok, I guess if I'm going to start a thread to pick a winner just going with a no name does not cut it. So I'll pick Mike Wier, I would have said Tom's but that would not be to fair sense he is 2 under. Garcia is 7 over after 11 holes. Here's a link to real time scoring.http://www.usopen.com/scoring/dyn/alllb.html
Old 06-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #13
dmek25
MVP

jbcjr where are you from?
Old 06-14-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
jbcjr14
The Starter

I was born and raised in NC/VA but I lived in Mechanicsburg, PA for 11 years and finished High School there at Cumberland Valley.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:47 PM   #15
firstdown
Living Legend

Tom's went from -3 to +2 in his last six holes of his round.