Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Ratings...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-25-2005, 05:26 PM   #1
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Ratings...

I heard today on the Junkies that tilt was getting a 1.1 rating on TV while filling the void left by hockey. Hockey usually pulls in a .2 rating. Whereas nearly ANYTHING they run besides it (World series of poker reruns, etc) pull on a .4. That suprised me a bit - do you guys think even if they come to a deal hockey will ever be able to compete with football / basketball?
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #2
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Re: Ratings...

NOTHING will be able to compare with football and basketball unless hockey has naked chicks.

Hmmm... naked chicks on ice. Has a nice ring to it.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Also, on a side note... I hate that they show poker on TV.

I love playing it, I love being around it in person, but goddamn it's boring to watch.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #4
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

no way it will compare to football, in this country. They have to find another Wayne to accomplish ratings similar to baseball.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:39 PM   #5
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

I disagree. i end up watching it all the time. Sometimes I make the mistake of putting on a poker tournament before going to bed, next thing I know its four in the morning becuase I HAD to see who would win.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:03 AM   #6
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES
I disagree. i end up watching it all the time. Sometimes I make the mistake of putting on a poker tournament before going to bed, next thing I know its four in the morning becuase I HAD to see who would win.
SkinsnCanes.......I agree........while I give "Tilt" a thumbs down, I LOVE to watch the real poker tournaments....my friends and I play a lot of cards.......so I just enjoy it.......
Old 02-25-2005, 05:46 PM   #7
saden1
MVP

what the hell is "tilt"???????

No one gives a shoe-shit about hockey. A desperate dead sport in need it is indeed.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

lol, espn 'new hit drama' about a poker player. ive never watched the show. I was referring to World Series of Poker.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:18 PM   #9
Big C
Mr. Brightside

i love hockey. but problem is it is only a regional sport in this country. pretty much the whole south east annd west doesnt play it. its only in the great lakes and new england, where as basketball and football are everywhere in the country. it will not have ratings near as high as those 2.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:23 PM   #10
Cush
Impact Rookie

Hockey & Football are my favorite sports. What the NHL really needs to do is open the game up, its too "defensive" right now. They really need to do something so the "skill players" can really show their stuff.

Make it more exciting (increase the scoring) and more people will watch. Although to be honest, hockey is much better in person.

And like Big C said, it is a regional sport. I guess I got kind of lucky, growing up there was a guy in our neighborhood who was really into hockey. He had his own nets, sticks and everything...so we played alot (street hockey). That's pretty much how I got into the sport.
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:31 PM   #11
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Daseal:

Here is one more data point for you. I think this will show you that the NHL will not compete seriously with the NFL or the NBA or MLB or even NASCAR for TV ratings any time soon.

Last year the Stanley Cup FINAL SERIES averaged a 2.2 rating on ESPN and ABC. (Those networks each did games; they're both owned by Disney so some games were on network and others were on cable.) That is the average for the whole series. The highest rated game was 2.8.

Last year - and then again this year - the Westminster Dog Show on cable (USA Network) averaged a 2.9 rating for its programs.

When the FINALS can't draw more people than a dog show, it will be a LOONG time before you can get revenues and popularity anywhere near the other major sports.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:34 PM   #12
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush
Hockey & Football are my favorite sports. What the NHL really needs to do is open the game up, its too "defensive" right now. They really need to do something so the "skill players" can really show their stuff.

Make it more exciting (increase the scoring) and more people will watch. Although to be honest, hockey is much better in person.

And like Big C said, it is a regional sport. I guess I got kind of lucky, growing up there was a guy in our neighborhood who was really into hockey. He had his own nets, sticks and everything...so we played alot (street hockey). That's pretty much how I got into the sport.

Eliminate the whole offside/ ICING thing and have a free-for-all perhaps?
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:17 PM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush

With the Tampa Bay Lightning being the defending Stanley Cup champs, and the Carolina Hurricanes and Florida Panthers having had been there the past few years you'd think hockey might be a bit more popular in the southeast.

But yeah, everybody wants to follow the New Jersey Devils' defense-first model. That style of hockey isn't really going to draw in the casual fan. So if the NHL comes back maybe things like widening the blue zone and limiting the goalies ability to play the puck (especially behind the net) need to be implemented.

I love playing hockey, I've played and coached street hockey for most of my life. But it's just not the same watching it on tv as it live. Watching the line shifts, etc. You just can't capture that on television. Before the lockout, NBC had agreed to a tv deal with the NHL that didn't require NBC to pay a dime, they just split the revenues with the NHL. That's the same deal NBC has with Arena Football.

And speaking of Arena Football, former Skins WR Justin Skaggs is tearin' it up with the Orlando Predators....see how I tied it all back to the Redskins?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:20 PM   #14
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Eliminate the whole offside/ ICING thing and have a free-for-all perhaps?
so we're talking about naked chicks in an on ice free-for-all? sounds good to me...

btw, what ratings do those figure skating fruitfests pull in?
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:48 PM   #15
That Guy
Living Legend

I believe they went defense first because they figured they could run that system effectively with a MUCH cheaper payroll... and then everyone else jumped in...

So long NHL, i never really new ya...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote