Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Would you rather have Portis or Davis?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-02-2004, 02:58 AM   #1
BrunellFan
Special Teams

Would you rather have Portis or Davis?

Would you rather have Clinton Portis as your RB or Stephen Davis? Did Davis's release actually turn into a positive now?

Personally, Id rather have Portis because he's 22

but based on talent alone, im not so sure...
BrunellFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:00 AM   #2
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

I'd take Portis since he has game-breaking speed, is 22, has amazingly quick feet, and is a decent blocker.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:36 AM   #3
itvnetop
Playmaker

portis hasn't even hit his potential "prime" age yet... davis is still productive but his shelf life isn't close to portis'... portis easily gets my vote
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:46 AM   #4
huntz
Special Teams

I'd have to take Portis with his speed. Can't wait to see him take that first handoff and burst thru that D!!!
huntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:47 AM   #5
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Both of them in their prime I'd take Portis in a second. Ah, a versatile back! FINALLY!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:47 AM   #6
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

If Portis can remain healthy he has the potential to become one of the all-time greats.. Think about an Eric Dickerson-type career (without the jerri-curl and rec-specs for you old schoolers out there) where he leads the league in rushing a few times, an MVP maybe.. With Ramsey, assuming we can keep him happy and in DC, Portis and Coles, we have the most dynamic QB,RB,WR punch in the NFC, if not the NFL.. Davis was a back who developed into a good-solid back, but he was far from elite.
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:48 AM   #7
Skins fan 44
Impact Rookie

Davis 2 or 3 years ago. Portis for next 3-5 years. Good move.
Skins fan 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:02 AM   #8
Mexskins
Camp Scrub

Portis. I did like S Davis but I think this guy is THE MAN.

Hail from Mexico
Mexskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:15 AM   #9
MTK
\m/

Portis is the easy choice, he's 22 and has already logged back to back 1500 yard seasons and has scored 29 TD's. He's a far more dynamic player that Davis ever was. The guy has speed, quickness and decent hands. And don't be fooled by his size, the guy is tough and runs hard and doesn't shy away from contact.

I love Davis but Portis is the easy choice. Davis is closing in on the end of his career, Portis is just getting started.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:34 AM   #10
celts32
Playmaker

Player for Player it's Portis, if only because of youth. However, if you factor in what it cost us to get Portis it's a whole different story. I would have liked to see this team with Davis, Bailey & thier #2 pick. Davis is long gone though, and I guess this website has kicked Spurrier enough for it already...
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:39 AM   #11
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

The worst part about the S. Davis stuff, is that we just straight up released him, we didnt get a damn thing for one of the best runners, if not the best in the NFC. Unfreakingreal.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:42 AM   #12
dieselhog
Special Teams

Based purely on here and now... Portis. Davis was one of my all-time favs so you know I'm serious about Portis.
dieselhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:59 AM   #13
beg8878
Special Teams

The best response I read was Paintrain's....."Davis was a back who developed into a good-solid back, but he was far from elite".

My thoughts exactly. We all loved Davis (except for the fumbles in some big spots). however, when you start naming off all time greats, his name isn't up there with them. With Portis, you can argue that he will be there in the end of his career by simply projecting his averages.

Granted, that may not happen, things can go wrong...but the "potential" is there for Portis, it is not there for our friend S. Davis. and that makes him the better back
beg8878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:07 AM   #14
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

I have a lot of respect for S.Davis, but his last years with the Skins weren't so great. He had a lot fumbles, and it just seemed like he was slowing down. Portis has the breakaway speed that can cause a threat to any defense. Also, Portis has rushed for more yards in his first two years than S.Davis did. Portis is the man, he will make an impact immediately and this will make the Skins so much stronger it's not even funny. When you have guys like Portis, Brunell ( or Ramsey ), Coles, and Gardner it really makes it hard for the defense to key in on one guy. All we need now is a decent TE and of course a defense.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:51 PM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I have to go with Portis, not only because of his age and Davis' propensity to fumble at the worst times, but I think Portis is more of a home run threat. Every time Portis touches the ball you get the sense he could break free and take it all the way, you don't get that same sense necessarily with Davis
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote