Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Fantasy Football Forums > Fantasy Football

Fantasy football advice

Fantasy Football

Old 09-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Fantasy football advice

Hey guys, just finished a 14 team draft where I had the #1 pick. Naturally I picked LT (for the 3rd straight year). The rest of the draft went okay but I was hoping to grab Jason Campbell towards the end. Unfortunately, things didn't work the way I intended but Jason is still available. Now I want to figure out a rational way of picking him up off of waivers. Take a look at my team and tell me what you think:

LaDainian Tomlinson - I really hated taking him...
Clinton Portis - Available with the #28 pick
Roy Williams - one of the games best
Deion Branch - I think he'll be a top 10 WR
Reggie Brown -available in the fifth in a 14 team league = of course
Brandon Jackson - needed a backup with starter potential
Alge Crumpler - available after a run on TE's
Mark Clayton - standard 3rd year receiver pick
Ben Roethlisberger - looked good in the pocket this pre-season
Eli Manning - pickings were slim; I feel they are going to play from behind
Dominic Rhodes - Needed to find a backup for later in the season
Ernest Wilford - still a starter
David Akers - I don't see much of a red zone offense
Washington - the matchup is favorable...; )

Keep in mind that after my pick I had to wait 26 picks before my next one. I'm thinking of dropping either Wilford or Rhodes but depth in this league is a valuable commodity.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
dall-assblows
The Starter

Re: Fantasy football advice

ewww eli manning. why?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
NicknacK89
Special Teams

drop eli this second and pick up campbell otherwise i have no respect for you
NicknacK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:28 PM   #4
47YAC
Camp Scrub

Thumbs up Re: Fantasy football advice

if you draft anyne but a redskins unregister your name now
47YAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
NicknacK89
Special Teams

im in a money league with 9 other friends and i traded whatever i had to to get cooley and moss who were jsut out of reach in the draft so now i have campbell portis cooley and moss in a league with a bunch of pats fans and they are all starting week 8
NicknacK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
Warpath
The Starter

Just to throw mine out there as well I drafted 1st in my league also, but we only have 10 teams:
1 1 LaDainian Tomlinson RB
2 10 Marc Bulger QB
3 1 Steve Smith WR
4 10 Marques Colston WR
5 1 Tony Gonzalez TE
6 10 Marshawn Lynch RB
7 1 Adam Vinatieri K
8 10 Jerricho Cotchery WR
9 1 Philadelphia Eagles DST
10 10 Jamal Lewis RB
11 1 Alex Smith QB
12 10 Randy McMichael
13 1 Kevin Curtis WR
14 10 Jerious Norwood RB
15 1 Matt Jones WR
16 10 Buffalo Bills DST
17 1 Shaun Suisham K
18 10 JaMarcus Russell QB

Its a keeper league and thats why I picked up JaMarcus in the last round. It was also $50 entry and winner takes $450.
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
LaDainian Tomlinson - I really hated taking him...
Clinton Portis - Available with the #28 pick
Roy Williams - one of the games best
Deion Branch - I think he'll be a top 10 WR
Reggie Brown -available in the fifth in a 14 team league = of course
Alge Crumpler - available after a run on TE's
Mark Clayton - standard 3rd year receiver pick
David Akers - I don't see much of a red zone offense
Washington - the matchup is favorable...; )
those are your keepers. your qbs are pretty average (grossman is probably better than either one, or possibly green, depending on how well he adapts.. he has weapons in miami).

it is a good draft as far as starters across the board though. and besides bye weeks or injuries, you're set up pretty well to win often.

dropping eli or roth for campbell right now probably isnt a good idea, but you've got guys that aren't that good there. might even pay to wait a couple games with a finger on the waiver wire in case he gets hot quickly. right now i'm not sure i'd even make that move though. you could afford to improve wr/rb depth, but i doubt there's much left.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
those are your keepers. your qbs are pretty average (grossman is probably better than either one, or possibly green, depending on how well he adapts.. he has weapons in miami though).

it is a good draft as far as starters across the board though. and besides bye weeks or injuries, you're set up pretty well to win often.

dropping eli or roth for campbell right now probably isnt a good idea, but you've got guys that aren't that good there. might even pay to wait a couple games with a finger on the waiver wire in case he gets hot quickly. right now i'm not sure i'd even make that move though. you could afford to improve wr/rb depth, but i doubt there's much left.
Grossman's gone, I wouldn't take Green even if Chambers didn't drop passes.

I probably have the best depth at wr among everyone. Five starters, unless something has changed with Wilford very recently. Very little to pick from at running back right now and I mean very little. My thinking with Eli and Ben was that as pathetic a year as both of them had last year they still had 24/20 TD's and proven receivers/tight ends.

Like I said, when you're waiting 26 picks in between selections you have to figure who's going to be there the next time. I think you're right about waiting for a bit before picking up Campbell. If he plays very well, though, I may not get him since I'm 12th on the waiver wire priority.

BTW, we are only starting 2 WR's and 2RB's (no flex, either). kind of weird but not my rules.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #9
Tha Posse
Special Teams

While we're at it what about my team, it was an automatic draft and I was thinking of getting campbell also. Is Kevin Curtis supposed to be the eagles # 1 now?

Drew Brees
Javon Walker
Hines Ward
Frank Gore
Adrian Peterson
Dallas Clark
Braylon Edwards
Kevin Curtis
Bn-Cedric Benson
Bn-Ronnie Brown
Bn-Ladell Betts (I have a feeling Portis will go down, I had to get him off waivers)
Bn-Heath Miller
Robbie Gould
Chicago's D
Tha Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:23 AM   #10
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Posse View Post
While we're at it what about my team, it was an automatic draft and I was thinking of getting campbell also. Is Kevin Curtis supposed to be the eagles # 1 now?

Drew Brees
Javon Walker
Hines Ward
Frank Gore
Adrian Peterson
Dallas Clark
Braylon Edwards
Kevin Curtis
Bn-Cedric Benson
Bn-Ronnie Brown
Bn-Ladell Betts (I have a feeling Portis will go down, I had to get him off waivers)
Bn-Heath Miller
Robbie Gould
Chicago's D
I think your TE's are weak compared to what you could have had. Clark has AVERAGED only 31 receptions over the past 3 years. Not good. Oddly enough, Miller has averaged 36.5 receptions the past 2 years. Both are very overrated.
Betts pick up is a good one, if Portis goes down, Betts could easily hit 100+ yards a game.
You have a sleeper in there in Braylon Edwards...keep in mind, this is his magical 3rd season, and last year he had 61 catches for 884 yards and 6 td's. (his last 5 games he had 3 td's) He's due for a good 75+ catch season and 1100 yards.
Javon Walker is solid, and Ward will have a rebound year with Tomlin throwing more.
Gore is a super stud, but Adrian Peterson is overrated. Peterson has not overthrown Taylor who had a monster season last year (over 1200 yards in 15 games). Peterson has talent, no doubt, but he will be used at best 50% of the time. It's not very often a rookie comes in and puts up top 5-7 back numbers, and everyone seems to think Peterson will, well, he won't. He won't have the chance to do it. So I'd put Benson in there. Even brown is a better option, and I'm not high on him.
About Curtis, I steered away from all Eagles wr's because they don't have a clear cut #1. Sure Curtis MIGHT be that guy, but that will only translate to 60 catches and 800 yards at best more than likely. McNabb spreads the ball around too much for any eagles wr to put up big numbers. (other than Westbrook)
Old 09-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #11
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

While we're at it... Here's my selections.

I'm in a 8 person league, so everyone is pretty stacked. I'm kind of curious as to whether or not I should start Cooley or Winslow. I think Cooley may struggle against MIA LB's. Who knows.

Starters
QB - Carson Palmer CIN
RB - Larry Johnson KC
RB - Travis Henry DEN
WR - Larry Fitzgerald ARZ
WR - Andre Johnson HOU
TE - Chris Cooley WAS
PK - Josh Brown SEA
DEF - New England

Benched
QB - Matt Leinart ARZ
RB - C. Williams TB
WR - Santana Moss WAS
WR - Joey Galloway TB
TE - Kellen Winslow CLE
Old 09-05-2007, 02:06 AM   #12
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
While we're at it... Here's my selections.

I'm in a 8 person league, so everyone is pretty stacked. I'm kind of curious as to whether or not I should start Cooley or Winslow. I think Cooley may struggle against MIA LB's. Who knows.

Starters
QB - Carson Palmer CIN
RB - Larry Johnson KC
RB - Travis Henry DEN
WR - Larry Fitzgerald ARZ
WR - Andre Johnson HOU
TE - Chris Cooley WAS
PK - Josh Brown SEA
DEF - New England

Benched
QB - Matt Leinart ARZ
RB - C. Williams TB
WR - Santana Moss WAS
WR - Joey Galloway TB
TE - Kellen Winslow CLE
Well, that depends on whether you get points for receptions. I do see Winslow getting 80+ catches and 900 yards or so with about 5-6 td's.
Cooley should get around 60-65 catches with maybe around 700-750 yards, 6 or 7 tds.
If it were me, I'd start Winslow, he's the second best TE option out there.

Being that shallow of a league, you had no better option than Carnell Williams? That guy is done, and Pittman has already been named the goalline carrier. So he'll be lucky to get 4 tds all season...and he will likely not be in Chucky's favor by week 4 and pittman will take his carries too. Williams is on an extremely short leash.

Andre Johnson is going to have an amazing year! 100+ catches, 1200+ yards, 7-8 td's. Moss is great, but his fragile hammy means he won't be there week in and week out.
Don't listen to Skins fans, cause 9 times out of 10 they will tell you to use the Skins player. Fact is, everyone here was PISSED last year when Moss didn't put up 05 numbers, and Portis got injured, and Lloyd and ARE weren't worthy of a roster spot in any league.

That being said, I do expect Moss to bounce back with a good qb in the pocket, and I expect Portis to put up good numbers too, but both are fragile, so beware. Cooley signed his large contract, so I don't know what to expect. We had him where we wanted him to be primed for a HUGE season, and we let him off the hook and signed him early. He's a great player, don't get me wrong, but it's almost a given that when someone signs a huge contract, they go into preservation mode instead of "i need to kick ass to get a huge contract" mode.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #13
Tha Posse
Special Teams

I think you will find that you will start moss rather than johnson later IMO.
Tha Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:10 AM   #14
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Posse View Post
I think you will find that you will start moss rather than johnson later IMO.
I think Johnson was the most underrated WR in this years FF drafting season. Seems no one realized he led the league in receptions with a nothing offense and a nothing QB. One would think if Schaub is any better than Carr then Johnson's yardage and TDs should go up some. If they go up just a little he is a top 3 WR. For a guy taken as close to the 10th WR in most drafts that's very solid value.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:52 AM   #15
jsarno
Franchise Player

I wouldn't even bother picking up Campbell. Fantasy sports is no place for homey picks. (like nicknack89 who has 4 redskins players that will all be on a bye week together!)
SOrry to say this, but you have better qb's (fantasy wise) already on your roster, and if you start 1 qb, why have a 3 qb team?
Roethisberger is going to do well this year with Tomlin going to a more pass oriented team.
Eli, say what you want about him and his leadership, and playing for the Giants, but he has averaged 3503 yards and 24.5 td's over the past two years. This is his 4th season, and he will likely have to pass more.
Also, Eli tends to be very hot out out of the gates (9 td's in the first 4 games of the season the past two years running, which is a 36 td a season pace)
He threw for 20 td's in his first 11 games in 05, and threw 22 tds in his first 13 games in 06. (13 tds in his first 6 games in 06) So clearly, the man knows how to score, but he's been inconsistant to this point. I say ride it out this year, I think he'll throw for 28 td's this year which will be close to tops in the NFL.