Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

McNabb says black QBs criticized more

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
BrudLee
Playmaker

McNabb says black QBs criticized more

ESPN - Report: McNabb says black QBs criticized more - NFL

When the issue of race was thrust upon Donovan McNabb, I thought it was unfair. Now he wraps himself in it to insulate himself from criticism.

It might be that you are criticized more than Manning because you haven't won a Super Bowl. It might be that your are criticized more than Palmer because Cincinnati isn't Philadelphia - the meanest city in the league. It might be that you are criticized more than both because your completion percentage (58.1) and Yards per Attempt (6.74) is lower than Manning's (64.0/7.70) or Palmer's (63.8/7.36).

And maybe it is because you are black. But I doubt it.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: And now I don't care about McNabb...

The race issue was not "thrust" upon Donovan, he's been using that excuse and story since he's been in the league. I have to think that his racial and paranoid look at the world comes from his father. Remember during the Owens/McNabb catfight when his father came on TV and called Owens' criticism of his son's play "black-on-black crime"? That's ridiculous. He has always spoken about himself as a black QB instead of just a QB. The people who claim to be victims are actually the people keeping the racial divide alive, people like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, the NAACP and yes, even McNabb every time he whines about being a victim.

You never hear Jason Campbell segregate himself or mention his skin color, all he talks about is trying to help his teammates win. That's class. Even Doug Williams became tired of all of the focus on his skin color, as he should've been.

McNabb's latest crying fit on HBO, claiming he's criticized because he is black is just STUPID. First, Philly will boo everyone and anyone, even Santa Claus or someone singing the Nation Anthem. Secondly, they're not booing him because he's black, just look at his stats and his health record. He's not the QB he used to be and they're realizing that they'll never make another Super Bowl with him. His stats put him at the bottom of the league this season. Even mediocre and backup QBs have better stats than him. As seen last night, he can't get the job done any more. He can't run. He can't hit receivers accurately. He can't win for the team anymore.

If it was a racial issue, Rex Grossman would be praised constantly and no one would like Tiger Woods.

Shut up Donovan. We're sick of you.

Oh...
What Did McNabb Mean?
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
The race issue was not "thrust" upon Donovan, he's been using that excuse and story since he's been in the league. I have to think that his racial and paranoid look at the world comes from his father. Remember during the Owens/McNabb catfight when his father came on TV and called Owens' criticism of his son's play "black-on-black crime"? That's ridiculous. He has always spoken about himself as a black QB instead of just a QB. The people who claim to be victims are actually the people keeping the racial divide alive, people like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, the NAACP and yes, even McNabb every time he whines about being a victim.

You never hear Jason Campbell segregate himself or mention his skin color, all he talks about is trying to help his teammates win. That's class. Even Doug Williams became tired of all of the focus on his skin color, as he should've been.

McNabb's latest crying fit on HBO, claiming he's criticized because he is black is just STUPID. First, Philly will boo everyone and anyone, even Santa Claus or someone singing the Nation Anthem. Secondly, they're not booing him because he's black, just look at his stats and his health record. He's not the QB he used to be and they're realizing that they'll never make another Super Bowl with him. His stats put him at the bottom of the league this season. Even mediocre and backup QBs have better stats than him. As seen last night, he can't get the job done any more. He can't run. He can't hit receivers accurately. He can't win for the team anymore.

If it was a racial issue, Rex Grossman would be praised constantly and no one would like Tiger Woods.

Oh...
What Did McNabb Mean?
But don't you think his poor performace is due to his health? I mean you could see that his throwing motion is flawed because of his knee. Reid needs to sit him down. Culpepper went through the same thing last year.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
But don't you think his poor performace is due to his health? I mean you could see that his throwing motion is flawed because of his knee. Reid needs to sit him down. Culpepper went through the same thing last year.
It could be, but what difference does that make? He's not getting the job done and it's ONLY his own fault, not the media's, not the Philly fans, not his teammates and not us white folks.

Remember when Brunell was battling injuries his first year here and we all wanted him gone because he's not the QB he once was and we weren't winning? Well, same situation in Philly right now, that's why they drafted Kolb. McNabb's resume and career stats won't help the team forever and they have to make plans to replace him and with his injury history over the past 3 years, they need to have a replacement on call at all times.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:

Oh...
What Did McNabb Mean?

Couldn't have said it better myself. I concur with everything you said here. Especially what you said about Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. The issue of race has made both of these men VERY VERY rich. As long as they can keep racism alive, they will keep getting paid millions.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I don't agree with McNabb and I'm black. He gets a lot of media kissing his butt. The bottom line is he is not as good as Manning, Palmer and Brady. But when he is healthy, he is in the next tier.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I don't agree with McNabb and I'm black. He gets a lot of media kissing his butt. The bottom line is he is not as good as Manning, Palmer and Brady. But when he is healthy, he is in the next tier.
As a QB he lead is team to 4 consecutive NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl, that is top tier QB.

Still, I can't understand why he thinks he is criticized more because he is black...it's the god damn NFL. You will be trounced in the media if you don't perform (i.e. Eli, Chad Pen.). What an idiot. His days are numbered.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
As a QB he lead is team to 4 consecutive NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl, that is top tier QB.
No, he WAS a top-tier QB. He's not anymore and if the team needs to make a move, they should.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
No, he WAS a top-tier QB. He's not anymore and if the team needs to make a move, they should.
Philly would be stupid to make a move on a top tier guy when he is healthy. He should get next year and they need to get the guy some help at wr. Kolb is going to have to wait a few years.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #10
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

You bring some interesting points Buster. I remember Doug Williams saying something to the effect that he was a quarterback that was black, but not a "black quarterbacK". Because to state otherwise, that he somehow only got the acclaim because of his skin color, rather than his talent, and success. I thought at the time what an unpopular and courageous thing to say.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

mcnabb is one of the best in the game, when he's healthy... but he's gonna get hung out to dry even when he's hurt, because

1) eagles got rid of their talented backup and feely is hurt, so the only alternative is an untested rookie who doesn't even really practice...

2) he plays in a town who prides themselves on criticism, whether its justified or not... the harsher the better...

3) he keeps opening his mouth and saying stupid things... which only attracts more criticts. He can blame it on being black if he wants, but if Palmer or Manning loses 6-7 games pretty quickly while having a piss poor completion rating, missing throws, etc...(whether they're hurt or not) they'll face plenty of criticism...

I wonder if we were so critical of Mark Brunell here only because he's black... hmmm....
Old 09-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #12
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthetuna View Post
mcnabb is one of the best in the game, when he's healthy... but he's gonna get hung out to dry even when he's hurt, because

1) eagles got rid of their talented backup and feely is hurt, so the only alternative is an untested rookie who doesn't even really practice...

2) he plays in a town who prides themselves on criticism, whether its justified or not... the harsher the better...

3) he keeps opening his mouth and saying stupid things... which only attracts more criticts. He can blame it on being black if he wants, but if Palmer or Manning loses 6-7 games pretty quickly while having a piss poor completion rating, missing throws, etc...(whether they're hurt or not) they'll face plenty of criticism...

I wonder if we were so critical of Mark Brunell here only because he's black... hmmm....
McNabb is only digging himsef a deeper hole. He should have kept his mouth shut cause those fans are really going to turn on him if he doesn't start playing better.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:46 PM   #13
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Also, if being a black QB is so tough...how did either of the teams with a black QB win last night? Campbell looked a LOT better than McNabb and his team won, not because of skin color, because of his performance on the field. If McNabb feels his game isn't where it should be, he should work on it, not look for someone to blame.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #14
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Mark Brunell should pull a McNabb and cry age discrimination to show the country how ridiculous Donovan is being.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #15
#56fanatic
The Starter

I dont think this type of thing will ever stop. It is changing, but slowly. Facts are facts. The QB position in the NFL has been a white position since the beginning. It is getting to be more diverse that what it use to be, but it will probably always be like it is now. Referring to McNabb, Young ect as the Black QB. I dont think him saying its because of my color I get critisized is fair, or on point. Like it was said earlier, Philly fans dont care what color he is, they will boo no matter what. I am sure if there was a white RB in the NFL now that was tearing it up, it would get a lot of attention because of him being white. Listen to players introduce other team members, they do it all the time. Didn't McNabb introduce on of his WR as "white lightening" or something. Why is that important, because the term white lightening means the white guy can run fast, which generally white guys aren't that fast. Its all over the NFL, and NBA for that matter. A white guy that play like a black guy, remember White Chocolate?? So for athletes to all of the sudden bring this crap up his hypocritical. thats my point of view.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote