Mel Kiper's history

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Mel Kiper's history

The Post did a good write up on Mel Kiper:

Love him or hate him, Mel Kiper Jr. is Mr. NFL Draft

I found it very interesting, especially the part where he was out passing out his draft analysis when everyone else was looking for autographs. Talk about finding your passion and making a living out of it!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Re: Mel Kiper's history

Recently he made it known he didn't agree with the way we attempt to build our team. His contention is that we can win that way, maybe even reach the playoffs a few times, but A SB and sustained success over a long period of time will be missing.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Mechanix544
The Starter

Kiper blows. interesting article tho......
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Kiper is good at what he does. He's passionate and knows his stuff. But IMO is gives a broadcast more credence when you have people that have played, coached or worked in a front office. So to give this guy so much air time makes no sense to me.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Mel Kiper's history:

1238 BCE large vat of Egyptian olive oil falls on a Nile River beaver pelt, creating the greasy hair
1936 CE the hair correctly predicts that Jay Berwanger will be the first player chosen in the draft
1960 CE a human body called Mel Kiper is born into the pre-existing hair
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Mel Kiper's history:

1238 BCE large vat of Egyptian olive oil falls on a Nile River beaver pelt, creating the greasy hair
1936 CE the hair correctly predicts that Jay Berwanger will be the first player chosen in the draft
1960 CE a human body called Mel Kiper is born into the pre-existing hair
lol!
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
mredskins
Gamebreaker

If he is so great at picking talent why does no NFL team pick him up? I got to think the guy that is best at picking college talent is on some NFL teams payroll all ready. He is probably some introverted nerd who watches film all day long. Mel knows some stuff about scouting but also has the extroverted skills to be on television as well thus why he is thrown in our faces every year around draft time.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:58 AM   #8
tootergray34
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
If he is so great at picking talent why does no NFL team pick him up? I got to think the guy that is best at picking college talent is on some NFL teams payroll all ready. He is probably some introverted nerd who watches film all day long. Mel knows some stuff about scouting but also has the extroverted skills to be on television as well thus why he is thrown in our faces every year around draft time.
I've Always wondered this myself. Perhaps ESPN is paying him pretty well? Or maybe Todd McShay is grooming to be his succesor?
tootergray34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
FRPLG
MVP

It is such an inexact science with so many variables that no one can be as good as what we all probably envision as "good". I'd guess the best, absolute best, talent evaluators "miss" close to 50% of the time. The amount of work he puts into it and his breadth of knowledge of the players simply cannot be ignored.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
It is such an inexact science with so many variables that no one can be as good as what we all probably envision as "good". I'd guess the best, absolute best, talent evaluators "miss" close to 50% of the time. The amount of work he puts into it and his breadth of knowledge of the players simply cannot be ignored.
It's like baseball batting averages. The best, absolute best, actually miss close to 70% of the time.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #11
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It's like baseball batting averages. The best, absolute best, actually miss close to 70% of the time.
Yep.. even weathermen can't predict it 100%
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:14 AM   #12
internetcareer
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post

congrats for the most sensible comment on this thread. Actually picking players or picking winners of games each week requires research and talent but ultimately we do not know what is in a players mind. We don't know how motivated that person is to accomplish, regardless of what they say. Albert Haynesworth is a great example. All the talent but....and then there are just the behind the scenes things that go on with personal problems, or fights in the locker room we don't hear about so ultimately we are only evaluating on what we see on game film from "any given Sunday".
internetcareer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #13
jdc65
Special Teams

I would presume that Kiper makes a whole lot more money doing what he's doing now than working for an NFL team. He does private consulting, has a paid subscription service, is a TV talking head, gets paid speaking engagements and endorsements, and he has his own brand.
No reason for him to take a back seat, a pay cut, and work for any team.
jdc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
celts32
Playmaker

Just throwing in my 2 cents since this thread is going to be filled with people bashing Mel. I love him. I could listen to him talk about football players every day. He is the original and great at what he does. If everyone was as passionate about thier job as Mel is the world would be a much better place.

And there are plenty of people that know football that for whatever reason are not working for an NFL team. I don't know if he would have the overall administrative skills to run an entire football organization but he is more then qualified to be a college scout for an NFL team if he wanted to be. Get his book and read it before deciding he sucks...it's amazing...he doesn't just throw up a half assed list of players...he has researched these guys and knows them like the back of his hand. he details the needs of every team...he even has lists of players to watch out for in the next 2 drafts. If you don't like the way he talks or his hair thats fine...but the guy does his homework.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:01 AM   #15
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
Just throwing in my 2 cents since this thread is going to be filled with people bashing Mel. I love him. I could listen to him talk about football players every day. He is the original and great at what he does. If everyone was as passionate about thier job as Mel is the world would be a much better place.

And there are plenty of people that know football that for whatever reason are not working for an NFL team. I don't know if he would have the overall administrative skills to run an entire football organization but he is more then qualified to be a college scout for an NFL team if he wanted to be. Get his book and read it before deciding he sucks...it's amazing...he doesn't just throw up a half assed list of players...he has researched these guys and knows them like the back of his hand. he details the needs of every team...he even has lists of players to watch out for in the next 2 drafts. If you don't like the way he talks or his hair thats fine...but the guy does his homework.
Good post, and I agree. I didn't read the article, but I think I heard he and his wife basically run their business themselves, and work out of their home in Baltimore mostly. I could be dead wrong, but I think I remember a friend telling me that.

Anyway, he's a solid analyst, and does a great job. I can't stand the way his hair looks, but whatever. That's irrelevant to why I like to listen to him do his breakdowns.

That said, I do like McShay as well. ESPN is lucky to have both of them. Mike Mayock is a beast in his own right for NFLN. I actually really like all three. If I had to rank them, I'd go Mayock, Kiper, McShay (Mayock's lisp kills me, but it's getting better. Maybe he's taking speech classes or something. But like Kiper's hair, it's irrelevant to why I like his work).