Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

DirecTV vs. cable

Parking Lot

Old 02-06-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
MTK
\m/

DirecTV vs. cable

So I moved into my new place and I had DirecTV here last week to hook me up again but they couldn't because there's too much snow up on the roof, so I have to wait until Spring to get my DTV back.

In the meantime I'm stuck with Time Warner cable and I couldn't be more disappointed. The difference in their HD offerings and the overall picture quality is amazing to me. TW straight up blows. They don't have half the HD channels that DTV has, and the picture quality stinks in comparison.

Anyone else notice a big difference in the picture quality? I can't believe TW passes this off as "high def".
Old 02-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: DirecTV vs. cable

I can't speak to any comparisons, other than to just say I love my DirecTV. I'd go through withdrawal too if I were in your shoes.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

DTV quality pales in comparison to FIOS. When I changed from Cox to FIOS I thought I bought a new TV. A friend of mine had DTV and noticed the same type of change. I understand the DTV for those of you out of the DC area. I'd certainly go with DTV if I couldn't get my skins on local stations.

Time Warner seems to suck. I don't have any experience with them, but I've only ever heard bad things.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
GMScud
Swearinger

I had DTV for a while, but when my girlfriend and I moved in August, we switched to Comcast because their bundle (phone/internet/cable) was included in our monthly rental payments, not to mention our balcony doesn't face south. I am disappointed on so many levels. Their hardware is inferior, their HD programming is inferior, and their customer service straight up blows. It's a total joke, but I'm kind of stuck with it. I can vouch for DTV's quality, and I hear Verizon FiOS is pretty sweet as well.

Matty, can't you just get up on your roof and knock some of that snow off??
Old 02-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I had DTV for a while, but when my girlfriend and I moved in August, we switched to Comcast because their bundle (phone/internet/cable) was included in our monthly rental payments, not to mention our balcony doesn't face south. I am disappointed on so many levels. Their hardware is inferior, their HD programming is inferior, and their customer service straight up blows. It's a total joke, but I'm kind of stuck with it. I can vouch for DTV's quality, and I hear Verizon FiOS is pretty sweet as well.

Matty, can't you just get up on your roof and knock some of that snow off??
Wish I could, the roof is too high and too steep for my taste though
Old 02-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Wish I could, the roof is too high and too steep for my taste though
If Time Warner gets too unbearable, you can always go up to the attic, rip off all the insulation underneath the roof, and crank the heat up to 90 degrees. That should melt that damn snow.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
Schneed10
A Dude

Well, I guess as long as you can get DTV back by September then you're all good!

Hooray Sunday Ticket!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
mredskins
Gamebreaker

For me DTV was the worst.

Comcast a little better.

FiOS ROCKS!!!!!!!! Never changing again and it is the cheapest of the three.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
dmek25
MVP

i have been thinking about direct T.V for over a year. what is the price comparison? i really hate comcast, but am wary to change because of the switch to analog later this year
Old 02-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
i have been thinking about direct T.V for over a year. what is the price comparison? i really hate comcast, but am wary to change because of the switch to analog later this year
I'm paying about 65 a month for service plus three receivers. A receiver is 5 dollars a month, so you can save if you only need a few satellite-enabled TVs.

The price may differ based on location.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Unless you have one of those old televisions with "Rabbit Ear" antennas, then you as the customer do not need to worry about the switch to Digital television. Anyone that tells you otherwise is FOS!!!! DirecTV is already all digital. Cable is Digital with the exception of the "local channels" it is the responsibility of the Cable service provider to switch those channels from a analog transmission to a digital one. Most of them have already done so.

The only people effected by the switch to Digital Television are those people who receive their television through an "over the air" broadcast through an antenna of some sort. If you already have cable, or DirecTV, or FiOS, then you do not have a damn thing to worry about.

Last edited by KLHJ2; 02-07-2009 at 08:19 PM.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #12
KLHJ2
Inactive

The only benefit that Cable has over DirecTV is "On Demand". Honestly, I can live without it. Since all channels are supposed be going digital this month, picture quality on the basic channels should improve. Do not expect much else.

The picture quality when it comes to cable actually varies from home to home based on your wiring system in the house. For example how many splitters, jumpers, and barrels you have on your cable system in conjunction with your house box (not to be confused with your cable box). In other words you can have the most high tech cable company out there with all the bells and whistles, but if your internal wiring and set up is a mess, then you are watching a mess.

Now I am not sure about Time Warner or Comcast, but I can tell you that COX runs what is called a Hybrid Fiber Coax (HFC) System from their plant. In other words, they do run Fiber Optic Cables to your neighborhood to where your Node is located. Once the Fiber reaches the Node the node transforms the Light waves into RF signal. The RF signal then travels through the Trunk and Tree system that most of you guys are familiar with. The trunk and tree system consists of the cables that run along the telephone poles and underground. They connect to a "Tap" which is the term for a very large splitter which runs through a drop cable and connects to your house box. In other words with COX cable you are getting your signal at the speed of light from the plant until it hits your your neighborhoods Node.

For all of you guys who swear by FiOS (good for you), you are not as superior over cable as you think. Here is why; yes they ran the Fiber optic to your home and in your home in some cases. The fact of the matter is that there is no such thing as a “Fiber Optic television”; so at some point in your system you have to change Light waves into RF signal so that it may be connected to your Television. Yes, FiOS signal travels on fiber closer to your home giving you a slightly better picture than those guys with a mediocre cable system. If their cable system is set up properly throughout the home as I stated in the 2nd paragraph however, then the human eye cannot tell the difference.

All in all, I still prefer DirecTV over cable, but thats because I cannot get COX and Comcast is severely inferior... plus I used to have DFS. When they come out with a Fiber optic television then I will consider FIOS.

In all honesty, if I could have a speed of light satelight signal with a fiberoptic cable back up plugged into a fiberoptic HD TV with COX's quality of customer service, then I would be a very happy man. Until then I like the rest of you guys have to pick your poison, because they all have their Pro's and Con's.

Last edited by KLHJ2; 02-09-2009 at 11:22 AM.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #13
dmek25
MVP

how many cannels does the $65.00 get?
Old 02-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
redskinjim
Special Teams

Quote:
how many cannels does the $65.00 get?
about 200
redskinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #15
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

does anybody else have AT&T uverse? i just switched from direct tv to them and i couldnt be happier.I've had direct tv for yrs for the sunday ticket but since the price of the ticket has skyroclketed i didnt buy it last yr so i made the switch to at&t
Plus the operator at AT&T said the ticket was coming to them,I dont know if thats true,it doesnt matter,thats not why I switched.The dvr that comes with it is awesome,record 4 shows at a time,program your dvr from the net,playback recorded shows on any tv.\Plus my hd on directtv would get out of whack every month and it almost always went out if it rained.I had to pray it wouldnt rain during a skins game