Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
12thMan
MVP

What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

This morning on Mike Wise's radio show, the question was asked what legacy does Jason Campbell leave behind as a Redskin. Nearly every caller, including myself, stopped short of calling Campbell a straight up bust or a failure. Some were pro Campbell, some were con, some were split, but nearly all gave him the benefit of the doubt considering the circumstances he had to deal with. One caller made an interesting observation that the Redskins were sending a bad message by booting Campbell out of town, a guy he compared to the likes of Darrell Green and Art Monk as far as class acts go, and keeping a player like Albert Haynesworth, who has made it known how he feels about playing NT and the coaching staff. But I digress.

But as i continued to listen, I wondered what if Campbell actually succeeds in Oakland? I'm not talking Super Bowl success, but let's say the Raiders just sniff the playoffs. Let's say Campbell squeezes out an 8-8 record or graces the cover of Sports Illustrated once or twice.

What type of pressure would that put on Donovan McNabb and the current administration? No one really talks about that. We've assumed the McNabb will be successful as a Redskin and Campbell will sort of plod along and just get by out there. We hear a lot about how McNabb is an upgrade, but what if JC ups his game too? Yeah, I know the what if game is futile at the end of the day, but that's what we do until the season actually kicks off.

I'll conclude by saying this, unless Campbell suffers an injury of some sort, heaven forbid, Jason Campbell will finally be Jason Campbell in Oakland. Whatever that is, he won't be over coached or dressed up in some system that doesn't suit him. I have a feeling that whatever Campbell is or isn't as an NFL quarterback, we'll find out once and for all what's under the hood. No more excuses, assumptions, or what ifs for the guy. I wish him success as a Raider and I have a feeling that a lot of Washington Redskin fans will be taking keen notice of the Oakland Raiders from week to week.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Re: What Will Jason Campbell's Legacy Be?

I think he has the skills to be a solid starting qb in the league. He's not going to carry a team on his back by any means, but I can definitely see him getting a run first team into the playoffs.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Zerohero
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
I think he has the skills to be a solid starting qb in the league. He's not going to carry a team on his back by any means, but I can definitely see him getting a run first team into the playoffs.
Skills? He couldn't hit the deep accurately, couldnt throw the short ball with touch. Wasn't a threat running and never learned to slide. I totally agree that he had a tough road to tread, but i just don't see any positives.

And to the OP, there is no legacy. Just another bust qb.
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
This morning on Mike Wise's radio show, the question was asked what legacy does Jason Campbell leave behind as a Redskin. Nearly every caller, including myself, stopped short of calling Campbell a straight up bust or a failure. Some were pro Campbell, some were con, some were split, but nearly all gave him the benefit of the doubt considering the circumstances he had to deal with. One caller made an interesting observation that the Redskins were sending a bad message by booting Campbell out of town, a guy he compared to the likes of Darrell Green and Art Monk as far as class acts go, and keeping a player like Albert Haynesworth, who has made it known how he feels about playing NT and the coaching staff. But I digress.

But as i continued to listen, I wondered what if Campbell actually succeeds in Oakland? I'm not talking Super Bowl success, but let's say the Raiders just sniff the playoffs. Let's say Campbell squeezes out an 8-8 record or graces the cover of Sports Illustrated once or twice.

What type of pressure would that put on Donovan McNabb and the current administration? No one really talks about that. We've assumed the McNabb will be successful as a Redskin and Campbell will sort of plod along and just get by out there. We hear a lot about how McNabb is an upgrade, but what if JC ups his game too? Yeah, I know the what if game is futile at the end of the day, but that's what we do until the season actually kicks off.

I'll conclude by saying this, unless Campbell suffers an injury of some sort, heaven forbid, Jason Campbell will finally be Jason Campbell in Oakland. Whatever that is, he won't be over coached or dressed up in some system that doesn't suit him. I have a feeling that whatever Campbell is or isn't as an NFL quarterback, we'll find out once and for all what's under the hood. No more excuses, assumptions, or what ifs for the guy. I wish him success as a Raider and I have a feeling that a lot of Washington Redskin fans will be taking keen notice of the Oakland Raiders from week to week.
He is going to be another good (not great) QB that we either let go of or sent elsewhere. See Stan Humphries, Trent Green, Jay Schroeder, Brad Johnson (Can he be included here?) etc.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
wilsowilso

I think the legacy of Jason Campbell will be that he was just one skillset short of being a great NFL quarterback and that set of skills is the "quick twitch" ability to read and react to NFL defenses on an elite level.

I believe his tenure in Oakland and wherever else he plays will cement that legacy.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:52 PM   #6
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
I think the legacy of Jason Campbell will be that he was just one skillset short of being a great NFL quarterback and that set of skills is the "quick twitch" ability to read and react to NFL defenses on an elite level.

I believe his tenure in Oakland and wherever else he plays will cement that legacy.
I've always felt that Jason's slow reads were a function of ever-changing offensive systems while he was here. McNabb played one system his entire time in Philly. Likewise, Manning and Brady have played in the same systems for their respective teams. The more stability you give a QB, the better chance that his instincts become 2nd nature.

On the other hand, Jason played in a Gibbs system, then a Saunders system for 2 years, then Zorn's WCO for 2 years. Of those I thought that he was best suited for Saunders' system, but he wasn't in it long enough to yield results. Even Todd Collins said that it takes about 3 years to master.

Hopefully Campbell will be given some measure of offensive stability in Oakland with a better chance to succeed. To me Campbell's legacy here will be his toughness and professionalism despite less than ideal circumstances.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
MTK
\m/

Solid starter, victim of too many coaching/system changes and overall franchise instability, classy guy. I wish him luck in Oakland, if anyone is prepared to deal with that crazy organization it's certainly him.

Just hoping we can put this subject to bed soon.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Solid starter, victim of too many coaching/system changes and overall franchise instability, classy guy. I wish him luck in Oakland, if anyone is prepared to deal with that crazy organization it's certainly him.

yeah right

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

It will be just a little better then Ramsey's. I mean it should be obvious, unlike Ramsey there were teams out there that wanted Campbell to come in and compete for a starting job. Carolina just lucked out with Clausen and Cleveland was hand tied with Jake.

However at the same time the cries from the fan base were similar. Just give him a little more time, get him a line, get him some recievers, get him a real coach. I think the fans got tired of having to put in so much effort only to get back so much especially being surrounded in a division where recently everyone had a great QB but us.

I think he's a solid QB and has the tools to be successful with a team if they follow the Jaguars blue print from a few years ago when David Garrard got selected to a pro bowl in 2007. However I don't think he's the type of QB where you can put a team on his back.

He has a very high floor thanks to the combination of physical tools and work ethic but he seems to have a very limited ceiling as well.

He will always be respected around here though, and I think the class he carried himself with and that toughness kept him here longer then he would have been otherwise.

He actually reminds me a lot of Jose Theodore with the Caps this year. Theres time where he shows you just how good he can be but then all of a sudden he lays an egg and you're reminded as to why you have that uncomfortable feeling residing in the back of your head.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
It will be just a little better then Ramsey's. I mean it should be obvious, unlike Ramsey there were teams out there that wanted Campbell to come in and compete for a starting job. Carolina just lucked out with Clausen and Cleveland was hand tied with Jake.

However at the same time the cries from the fan base were similar. Just give him a little more time, get him a line, get him some recievers, get him a real coach. I think the fans got tired of having to put in so much effort only to get back so much especially being surrounded in a division where recently everyone had a great QB but us.

I think he's a solid QB and has the tools to be successful with a team if they follow the Jaguars blue print from a few years ago when David Garrard got selected to a pro bowl in 2007. However I don't think he's the type of QB where you can put a team on his back.

He has a very high floor thanks to the combination of physical tools and work ethic but he seems to have a very limited ceiling as well.

He will always be respected around here though, and I think the class he carried himself with and that toughness kept him here longer then he would have been otherwise.

He actually reminds me a lot of Jose Theodore with the Caps this year. Theres time where he shows you just how good he can be but then all of a sudden he lays an egg and you're reminded as to why you have that uncomfortable feeling residing in the back of your head.
That's about the best way I've heard it summed up -- better than Patrick Ramsey. And that's not saying much.

What closed the book on him for me was in the second Dallas game at Fed Ex last year. With an empty backfield, a Cowboy DB was creeping up towards the line on an obvious blitz. Troy Aikman pointed this out, and said that this is one of the most basic cues for a QB to notice that he's going to be under pressure. That JC didn't notice it at this point in his career was telling.

He had chance after chance, and just didn't take the next step. It was time to move on.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #11
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post

We still get people whining about Patrick Ramsey's "unfair shot" occasionally.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Seeing Jason Campbell and Legacy in the same sentence made me chuckle.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post

Well if squeezes out an 8-8 record I'll say that about par for him. Sorry but I don't think McNabb will be looking over his shoulder to see if JC is pushing him.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
dmek25
MVP

loser. didnt make enough plays to be called anything else but that. always had all the excuses already built in. but a true pro, who will almost always say/ do the right things
Old 04-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

His Redskins legacy will be one of great disappointment. Is he a good guy? Sure. Was he a solid QB? Certainly. But, and I understand it's not entirely his fault, we paid a hefty price for a guy who was hardly a contributor to our two playoff teams in the six years he was here. And while I understand circumstances weren't always great around him, I think too many of us looked to that as an excuse for JC's underperforming.

I just can't wait for TO to sign with the Raiders so we can finally see Campbell to Owens