Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Three Questions!

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-24-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Three Questions!

Could the Redskins be moving towards a West Coast offense? We have really fast receivers who can do great YAC, we picked up Musgrave who was a BIG west coast guy, we drafted Campbell who ran a West Coast type offense to almost perfection. It seems to make a bit of sense. I think this could be interesting, I certainly would like to see it.

Maurice Clarett - Everyone knows I like the kid, and Denver can certainly pick RBs. Portis, TD, etc. Will Clarett get any credit if he has a great NFL career with Denver? Or will everyone forever keep blaming him for trying to enter the NFL early.

Do some of these pickups spell the cut/trade of players like Betts, Ramsey, anyone else? I wonder who you think will be traded or cut come the start of the season, especially those having to do directly with our drafting!
Old 04-24-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
go18n20
Camp Scrub

Re: Three Questions!

Clarett doesn't fit in the same mold as TD, Clinton, Gary and the other Denver runners, but I do expect him to help out after getting into shape. As for te west coast? Nah. Joe is willing to change HIS offense some... but not that much. As for cuts. I think Betts is gone, Kozlowski is gone, Hasselbeck is gone (unfortunately) and maybe Rock Cartwright is gone. I think Gardner will be back though and that's why we DID NOT draft a receicver, even in the late rounds.
go18n20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:26 PM   #3
BossHog

Betts won't be cut. However, he will be a highly sought RFA after this year if a team hasn't already contacted us about him. He's a prototype NFL back well worth the second rounder we used to draft him.
BossHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:50 PM   #4
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Musgrave was hired to work with the quarterbacks - not to be an offensive coordinator. With the acquisitions of a couple big running backs/fullbacks in the draft, it reinforces the fact that Gibbs wants to further enhance the run first philosophy. For instance, in the 80's, Gibbs had the featured back, like Byner, who would go out on short yardage plays and replaced by guys like George Rogers or Gerald Riggs. These guys were big fullbacks who could easily move the pile and gain the yard or get across the goal line.

It was a component that was missing from the offense this past season.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
skin4Life28
Special Teams

Clarett will be fine. He couldn't be a luckier guy to go to Denver. He will flourish in that system. We all know why Musgrave is here. He is gonna call plays there is no way he came here to just do qbs. I dont care what anyone says. Rock wont be gone since we just resigned him. Wouldn't make any sense but nothing surprises me anymore.
skin4Life28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:09 PM   #6
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

No, we won't go to a west coast offense, we'll still be a run-first offense, but the passing scheme in our offense is like that of the west coast offense. The routes and passing plays are similar, with short controlled well timed passes, just in this scheme they dont take the place of a run. Musgrave was brought in becase he's widely heralded as a great guy to develop a QB. We need it. I seriously doubt he'll do much more than that.

Clarett probably will be a great back someday, but as for denver having a Prototype Back... thats untrue. Several different style backs have had success in denvers system. Stand Quenten Griffin next to Mike Anderson and tell me they're close to the same. If it weren't for the fumbling and injuries they'd both be pro-bowl backs in that system. I think Clarett went to a place that breeds great backs, and that could actually work to lower his future value, because those that do have a bad taste in their mouths for them will always call his success a product of the system.

As for cuts, Ramsey has a year to prove himself. Betts is here to stay, he ran like an animal last year when they put him in. Brunell probably has a year and he's gone no matter what. Gardner will be back for his contract year (hopefully that'll motivate him to be productive). Cartwright isnt going anywhere just yet, but I dont exactly understand that. Most of our runs came from singleback formations with an H-back in blocking. Cartwright is an excellent FB who can open holes up, but I dont remember seeing much of him last year.
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:10 PM   #7
drew54
The Starter

Maybe not a true west coast, but more of a Jon Gruden type WC offensive style merged in with the traditional Joe Gibbs 3 headed monster running attack.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:27 PM   #8
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew54
Maybe not a true west coast, but more of a Jon Gruden type WC offensive style merged in with the traditional Joe Gibbs 3 headed monster running attack.

It's funny you mentioned Jon Gruden because he said he models his offense after Joe Gibbs' offense.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:40 PM   #9
drew54
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy
It's funny you mentioned Jon Gruden because he said he models his offense after Joe Gibbs' offense.
Where did you hear this? I always thought he was a true WC guy because of his SF and GB upbringing. I know he loves to run the ball. "Pound that Rock"

Thats pretty cool that he tries to model his offense after our glory days.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:58 PM   #10
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew54
Where did you hear this? I always thought he was a true WC guy because of his SF and GB upbringing. I know he loves to run the ball. "Pound that Rock"

Thats pretty cool that he tries to model his offense after our glory days.

I heard this back during their Super Bowl year. I remember Gruden being interviewed and talking about how he liked to pattern his offense after Joe Gibbs' offenses of the 80's and early 90's. I was shocked when I had heard this from him, and noticed alot of similarities in his offense and how ours was at its best.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:32 PM   #11
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Exactly what I meant, not Walsh's west coast offense, but a hybrid. The Falcons run a run-first west coast offense, and I think something like that could be good for us. However, it would certainly need to throw the balls 5-10 more times a game to do this.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:08 PM   #12
MTK
\m/

Betts still has a role here as the primary backup for Portis, I see White filling the Gerald Riggs type role.

As for Clarett, best of luck to him but I honestly don't care.

As for a west coast change, who knows. I think we'll definitely see some new wrinkles next year, who knows at this point what the changes will be exactly.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:26 PM   #13
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

I think Betts, and Morton are gone. Rock will stay Hasselbeck gone.
I think Musgave will help our qb' s work on their playaction selling, and footwork/ mechanics.

I hope Clarett does real well, as well as McPhereson, Randy Moss, TO, and anyone else the Media spends all their time hating on.These are the same reporters who talk down on the skins organization and dan snyder.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:45 PM   #14
jrocx69
Special Teams

broughton will be a third string RB and rock is gone (man i love his size and speed)
white jr. will be a taking a TE roll IMO being 6'3 245 and RUNS A 4.50! with good hands (love this pick)
mccune will make a severe push at starting MLB cause of barrow's injuries and being arrington is still hurt and lemar will probably go back to WLB. at 6'0" 245lbs and runs a 4.50 and a great age to learn at 26 make this my favorite pick in the draft for day 2 (just ahead of the broughton pick)
newberry is str8 up SP's and devlopement project (smart is always good and he has it)

i love our late round picks and expect a good solid UFA class as well. broughton is gonna be a solid big "Gibbs type" runner and im excited to see how much we use him (especially if portis isnt hitting his HOMERUNS.) i noticed we went big and athletic with starting experience and with newberry being a very intelligent guy along with mccune a reserve for the military.
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:51 PM   #15
jrocx69
Special Teams

broughton in, rock out
mccune in, barnes out
white jr. in, kozlowski out
newberry in, kheri campbell out
rogers in, could it be the end of the ADE JIMOH FAN CLUB?
campbell in, hasselbeck out

anyone else have a opinion?
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote