Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

Parking Lot

Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

I know we like to nerd out every now and then on here, and I wondered why this hasn't been discussed yet.

Basically I got to stay at work an extra three hours tonight because a student upgraded herself to Lion, then suddenly had massive network drops constantly.

Microsoft takes tons of flak when they put out shit, but I haven't heard a peep about what a failure this OS has been, with the exception of a few dozen forum posts on the Apple support website over 100 pages each.

Now, this thread is partially to whine and partially for help because I know we have some tech support people on here.

Apple has had zero help to offer except "Reload Lion from scratch, it'll be amazing." Now, this is extra frustrating because students don't notice this wireless dropout at home because it's only apparent on enterprise networks with encryption so I'm taking the heat for this. I go to Snow Leopard, the computer runs FLAWLESSLY.

If you name something, I've probably tried it, but has anyone else seen this and had a fix for it?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...=1170&tstart=0

I've pretty much tried everything in that thread...
Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

I've heard it's had it's share of issues, personally I haven't had any problems.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Did you upgrade directly from Snow Leopard or do a fresh install? I'd say at least 50% of the students here with Lion have had serious issues.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Did you upgrade directly from Snow Leopard or do a fresh install? I'd say at least 50% of the students here with Lion have had serious issues.
I just got an iMac recently, so it came already installed.

I think most of the issues come when people upgrade from Snow Leopard from what I've read about it.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I just got an iMac recently, so it came already installed.

I think most of the issues come when people upgrade from Snow Leopard from what I've read about it.
Not surprising, I had issues with Snow Leopard when upgrading TO it too. Quickbooks specifically would not register, could no longer use that version for that OS. Seriously, bought software, used it...go to a new OS and the software you already registered is no longer registered and will not register with the new OS...that should not happen. Called Intuit and they straight out told me, Snow Leopard doesn't like your version of Quickbooks.

Argh.

That's when I decided I prefer my Windows 7 PC to my Mac.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

That's what it seems like, even though a lot of people here have reformatted from scratch (this is mostly laptops) and will be fine for about 2 weeks, then suddenly wireless drop-outs happen. Snow Leopard people are fine here, PC people are fine... just weird.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

every time I hear iMac, I think of this old MadTV sketch. Always makes me laugh a little.

Madtv - Apple I-rack - YouTube
Old 01-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

We have 2 Mac Minis in the office, but they are not on the domain. However, I do have issues if there is more than one Mac trying to VPN from the same network (we have 3 Macs in the office, all of which use our wireless network, and they VPN into our network). The fix for that was to use Cisco AnyConnect instead of the native VPN client.

Both Minis were upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard. I am having issues getting VNC working on the Mini assigned to me. I wonder if it would be worth my while to reload, since it sounds like there are various problems if you go the upgrade route.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

I come, mainly, from the PC windows/linux world, but I've always found that if you're having issues after an upgrade of the OS, it's always best to blow everything away and reload the OS from scratch. I'm sure you can do this with the Mac OS, but I've found this to be true in the Windows world.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
I come, mainly, from the PC windows/linux world, but I've always found that if you're having issues after an upgrade of the OS, it's always best to blow everything away and reload the OS from scratch. I'm sure you can do this with the Mac OS, but I've found this to be true in the Windows world.
See, the problem is that we've done this on a few machines and nothing seems to work. Like, it's a partition delete, reformat WITH the combo update to 10.7.2 and it's fine for a couple weeks and then it's garbage again.

Our network engineer is like, "Fine, F it. Again, Apple won't play nice with enterprise, WE have to play nice with them."
Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
See, the problem is that we've done this on a few machines and nothing seems to work. Like, it's a partition delete, reformat WITH the combo update to 10.7.2 and it's fine for a couple weeks and then it's garbage again.

Our network engineer is like, "Fine, F it. Again, Apple won't play nice with enterprise, WE have to play nice with them."
Ahhhh, that sucks dude. So much for Apple having the OS that "just works". That's what makes me appreciate Linux more and more everyday. If something doesn't work, somebody somewhere will develop a fix for it.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #12
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Ahhhh, that sucks dude. So much for Apple having the OS that "just works". That's what makes me appreciate Linux more and more everyday. If something doesn't work, somebody somewhere will develop a fix for it.
Linux can be very internet-dependent and time-dependent for newcomers(Debian squeeze and then sid in my case). Crossover can facilitate the transition, but for a price.

Not contradicting you. I'm just sayin'.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #13
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
Linux can be very internet-dependent and time-dependent for newcomers(Debian squeeze and then sid in my case). Crossover can facilitate the transition, but for a price.

Not contradicting you. I'm just sayin'.
It's definitely a bit of a learning curb for newcomers, yes. I think most newcomers tend to play around with Ubuntu. My favorite has been Fedora. I'm fixing up my old Dell computer (hard drive went bye bye) and will probably just put the latest distro of Fedora on it. I still have a new Dell with Windows 7 on it that I have connected to my big screen in the living room, and my old laptop with Windows XP. Have never crossed into the MAC world even though I do know enough about MAC to troubleshoot minor glitches.

But getting back to the network issue, my fiancee uses her macbook at work (most all of them use macs) and they have had several issues with connecting to their file server at work.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
FRPLG
MVP

In our shop we try to avoid upgrading as much as possible. Especially on the OS side. It's just so volatile.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
In our shop we try to avoid upgrading as much as possible. Especially on the OS side. It's just so volatile.
Seems like a pretty good rule of thumb in the technical world. The latest and greatest isn't exactly the most stable and useful. Often times, by the time all the bugs are fixed and you've gotten it to do exactly what you need it to do, the OS is outdated.