f...gibbs

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
jsarno
Franchise Player

f...gibbs

(in honor of jamf)

What the hell is wrong with him that he STILL think conservative play calling is the way to go? The coaching lost this game for us plain and simple and it's getting to be like this week in and week out. We were all shocked last week when Campbell went deep for Moss (moss missed it) and I think Gibbs felt that was a mistake and wouldn't allow it again or something. How horrendous!
Old 09-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Re: f...gibbs

Hm, this thread is going to go downhill fast.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
DCborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Hm, this thread is going to go downhill fast.
Gibbs is not perfect, but he is an outstanding coach and hall of famer. IMO he is our best long term chance for us to advance beyond the playoffs.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCborn View Post
Gibbs is not perfect, but he is an outstanding coach and hall of famer. IMO he is our best long term chance for us to advance beyond the playoffs.
I don't know about that. I love the guy but when I see the same shit over and over again I'm starting to wonder.

If you bring in a guy to run the offense then let him do it his way. Otherwise why bring him in here?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I don't know about that. I love the guy but when I see the same shit over and over again I'm starting to wonder.

If you bring in a guy to run the offense then let him do it his way. Otherwise why bring him in here?
Cowboys fans felt the same way about Parcells' offense - they wanted an attacking, aggressive "go for the throat" offense. Who doesn't want that offense? I don't know of many fans or coaches who say, "I want a boring, conservative offense that scores as few points as possible to win." I'm sure Gibbs would love to score 50 points per game.

But, don't you think there is a real reason why we are not scoring so many points? Both Al Saunders and Gibbs I are known for high-scoring offenses. Right now we're simply not getting it done. Saunders and/or Gibbs have really opened up this offense and are calling FAR more deep-balls than I have seen in quite some time. We were throwing the ball in the second half as though there was some rule against running.

The fact is, we are an offense that is much better than we were through most of last year. We are attacking teams downfield. Portis, a beneficiary of the more open passing game, is averaging 4.7 a pop. We are just a few steps away from doing great things. How many times have you seen good protection and a decent 50 yard pass by JC, only to watch it sail a few yards in front of the receiver? I've seen that happen a bunch of times in just three games (e.g., the "kill shot" in the Eagles game to Moss that sailed on Jason).

Give the offense time (particularly JC) and I am highly confident that things will dramatically improve. I can practically smell the explosiveness and I'm suprised no one else seems to, even if we are misfiring. I just hope things get turned around before the midway point of the season.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
The Zimmermans
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
Cowboys fans felt the same way about Parcells' offense - they wanted an attacking, aggressive "go for the throat" offense. Who doesn't want that offense? I don't know of many fans or coaches who say, "I want a boring, conservative offense that scores as few points as possible to win." I'm sure Gibbs would love to score 50 points per game.

But, don't you think there is a real reason why we are not scoring so many points? Both Al Saunders and Gibbs I are known for high-scoring offenses. Right now we're simply not getting it done. Saunders and/or Gibbs have really opened up this offense and are calling FAR more deep-balls than I have seen in quite some time. We were throwing the ball in the second half as though there was some rule against running.

The fact is, we are an offense that is much better than we were through most of last year. We are attacking teams downfield. Portis, a beneficiary of the more open passing game, is averaging 4.7 a pop. We are just a few steps away from doing great things. How many times have you seen good protection and a decent 50 yard pass by JC, only to watch it sail a few yards in front of the receiver? I've seen that happen a bunch of times in just three games (e.g., the "kill shot" in the Eagles game to Moss that sailed on Jason).

Give the offense time (particularly JC) and I am highly confident that things will dramatically improve. I can practically smell the explosiveness and I'm suprised no one else seems to, even if we are misfiring. I just hope things get turned around before the midway point of the season.
I think that people are seeing what campbell can do when given the chance....and they feel he wasn't given that chance on 1st and 2nd down when the game was slipping away....but I agree, we are seeing some good things out of this offense...we just had one really really horrendous half
Old 09-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
(in honor of jamf)

What the hell is wrong with him that he STILL think conservative play calling is the way to go? The coaching lost this game for us plain and simple and it's getting to be like this week in and week out. We were all shocked last week when Campbell went deep for Moss (moss missed it) and I think Gibbs felt that was a mistake and wouldn't allow it again or something. How horrendous!
Al calls the plays. Not Joe.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
PhxRedSkin
Special Teams

Quote:
Yeah, wtf? Gibbs relinquished control to a 700 hundred page play book mad man/dictator.

Speaking of dictators, isn't Gloria a Cuban citizen?

Out with Saunders. Portis also needs to go to a Pop Warner practice and listen to the RB coach say look the ball into your hands FIRST 10,000 times or more. That fumble....

Hail and I look forward to the Lions
Old 09-23-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
I'll tell you what...if Saunders was indeed calling all the plays, then I will publicly take this all back and put the blame on Saunders. I just know better, it smells like Gibbs to me and thousands of other Skins fans.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:27 AM   #10
BrunellMVP?
Impact Rookie

Quote:
that may be true, but i think Al's got a collar on by gibbs...either way...it was too conservative. we don't have the running game that we think (wish) we do...
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
Old 09-24-2007, 08:19 AM   #11
#56fanatic
The Starter

Quote:

but it Joe Gibbs football, right? that is what was getting all the props the first two weeks. Joe Gibbs football. well, this is what you get sometimes w/ Joe Gibbs football.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #12
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
but it Joe Gibbs football, right? that is what was getting all the props the first two weeks. Joe Gibbs football. well, this is what you get sometimes w/ Joe Gibbs football.
Screw this Joe Gibbs football! We need to score more touchdowns. Gibbs acts like if we can't run, we can't win. I'm so damn tired of it. If we were more aggessive we would score more points and evey damn game would not come down to the end.

Anyone watch the Cowgirls abuse the Bears last night? They just kept going to TO over and over and over again. They even had him catching passes out of the backfield. Jason Garrett was creative in finding ways to get him the ball. We should be doing to same thing with Santana. Why aren't we????? Between Gibbs and Sanders they make probably over 8 million and that's the best game plan they can come up with?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:55 AM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Screw this Joe Gibbs football! We need to score more touchdowns. Gibbs acts like if we can't run, we can't win. I'm so damn tired of it. If we were more aggessive we would score more points and evey damn game would not come down to the end.

Anyone watch the Cowgirls abuse the Bears last night? They just kept going to TO over and over and over again. They even had him catching passes out of the backfield. Jason Garrett was creative in finding ways to get him the ball. We should be doing to same thing with Santana. Why aren't we????? Between Gibbs and Sanders they make probably over 8 million and that's the best game plan they can come up with?
1. The Cowboys didn't completely abandon the run, and just start launching the ball as some seem to think

2. Isn't it funny how we're praising the Cowboys for getting TO the ball "even out of the backfield" but when we do the same thing with Moss all we hear is "When is Old Man Gibbs going to get rid of this dink and dunk offense and go deep"
Old 09-24-2007, 11:01 AM   #14
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
1. The Cowboys didn't completely abandon the run, and just start launching the ball as some seem to think

2. Isn't it funny how we're praising the Cowboys for getting TO the ball "even out of the backfield" but when we do the same thing with Moss all we hear is "When is Old Man Gibbs going to get rid of this dink and dunk offense and go deep"
I'm not praising the Cowboys. I just liked what Jason Garrett did against a very very good defense. I didn't say they ababdoned the run. I said they got the ball to their best player and they make an effort to do so.

Meanwhile our best player got the ball 3 times.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:43 PM   #15
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Joe was definitely calling plays this game.

Or so it seemed. The playcalling wasn't the type of Saunders. Which is leading people to believe that it was Gibbs calling the plays this game. Or at least the second half.

So now that we've experimented with the, "What happens if coach Gibbs calls the plays" scenario and failed spectacularly, it's time to hand the playbook back to Saunders.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
Closed Thread