Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

When will Jansen go?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
BeastsoftheNFCeast
Special Teams

When will Jansen go?

Ive been sick of this guy for the past two years, he used to be a beast, but now just cant cut it (blame it on injuries or age, i really dont care). The guy has a monster contract (25 mil, 15 guaranteed over the next 4 years), and is always either hurt or playing like shit (at least in pass protection). If we are gonna have a shitty starter, we should be paying him a shitty salary. When do you guys think that Jansen will go?
BeastsoftheNFCeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: When will Jansen go?

Well he was hurt last year, not sure why you would hate him for that. And the year before he battled through a bunch of different injuries and was still solid playing with broken thumbs.

If there's not a better option then he should remain the starter. I don't think Heyer is ready to overtake him just yet.

My question is why are some people so eager to run him out of town?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Well he was hurt last year, not sure why you would hate him for that. And the year before he battled through a bunch of different injuries and was still solid playing with broken thumbs.

If there's not a better option then he should remain the starter. I don't think Heyer is ready to overtake him just yet.

Jansen has been dealt a series of bad cards, he's a "core Redskin" and, in his heyday, was awesome. But, I've got to agree that he just looks like he is about washed up. It seems like only yesterday he was dominant, when in reality he hasn't been playing at a high level since 2003. In 2004 he was on IR, in 2005 he struggled and we all attributed it to his recovery but he also struggled in 2006, and he was on IR for the 2007 season.

He's still a good road-grading RT, but he just looks old and slow in pass protection. He's the best RT we have, but we should find a new starter and Jansen should be relegated to back-up duty in 2009 if he doesn't have a good season.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Because he plays a position that can get franchise players killed if he misses a block.

I like jansen more than Samuels but you have to keep an eye on him. He is clearly struggling. Hopefully it's just rust and he can rebound this year.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Big contract probably.

I haven't gone through all the threads after the debacle on Sat., but so far I've seen Jansen getting run out of town, but not much mention of Samuels getting MANHANDLED by Julius Peppers. Maybe we should get rid of Samuels too? (sarcasm)

There sure wasn't a cry for Jansen's head when we were 3-0 and the starting O was looking solid. Is the guy playing at a high level, not really, but he's not ready for the trash bid either.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Big contract probably.

I haven't gone through all the threads after the debacle on Sat., but so far I've seen Jansen getting run out of town, but not much mention of Samuels getting MANHANDLED by Julius Peppers. Maybe we should get rid of Samuels too? (sarcasm)

There sure wasn't a cry for Jansen's head when we were 3-0 and the starting O was looking solid. Is the guy playing at a high level, not really, but he's not ready for the trash bid either.
People have been hitting on Jansen sense preaseason started so its not just this one game. If I'm correct Samuels name was only called once when Peppers ran right through him but there could have been more.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Big contract probably.

I'll admit I'm slightly worried about the Samuals getting manhandled by Peppers situation (I haven't had the guts nor the motivation to download the game and see for myself) but from what I understand, Pepers is a man on a mission after amassing only 2.5 sacks last year in 14 games (yes THE Jullius Peppers). In fact some might say he's walking into a Ben Rothesberger type situation this year, though from what I know he's never been on a motorcycle.

So it might have been more of a combination of Samuals lack of motivation in a preseason game combined with Peppers overwhelming desire to prove himself again (which he had a chance to do this weekend against a guy of Samuals caliber in the preseasons only half game).

In the end though I'm kind of glad we got our ass kicked this week. My Dad use to always talk about how he was happy that Maryland went through the same things before March Madness during the year they won they title, and in this case it's happening during the preseason so at least the loss won't sting to bad.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

The game against Carolina was an aberration, the players and coaches are trying to get over Joe Bugel's daughter dying. People forget these guys are human, remember last year against Buffalo the infamous Gibbs timeout mistake? This guys are human, I wouldn't be surprised if Holly's death didn't linger from last years tragic events.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
firstdown
Living Legend

I agree Matty right now what other choice do we have and the season has not even started yet. Lets give him a few games before we start kicking him out of town.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastsoftheNFCeast View Post
Ive been sick of this guy for the past two years, he used to be a beast, but now just cant cut it (blame it on injuries or age, i really dont care). The guy has a monster contract (25 mil, 15 guaranteed over the next 4 years), and is always either hurt or playing like shit (at least in pass protection). If we are gonna have a shitty starter, we should be paying him a shitty salary. When do you guys think that Jansen will go?
Why are you mad at him for his contract? Should he rip up his contract and suggest one that pays him much less?

Jansen has been a real solid, real good tackle for many years. Give him a little time. He's coming off major injuries. No doubt he's getting older, but he could still have a couple of solid years left.

Shouldn't you give the longest tenured Redskins who's played thru major injuries the benefit of the doubt instead of throwing him under the bus? I'm not saying we should throw someone out there that's a liability to the team, but JJ is a proven NFL starter in this league.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

He'll come through and shut all the naysayers up. The guy hasn't even played in a regular season and they are already calling for his and others heads.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #12
irish
Playmaker

The really sad part is that he is the best RT the Skins have right now. The Skins dont have anyone better so he's the guy they gotta go with until he gets injured again.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
heybigstar
Special Teams

I realize Jon Jansen has been a loyal member to this team for a long time, but he has had some devastating injuries - especially the one last year. He seems to be injury prone now and on the down, downside of his career and is below the average starting RT in our division. I hope I am proved wrong, but it seems that only out of loyalty would he stay on the roster past this season.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #14
Skinz4life
Camp Scrub

He's been one of my favorites for a long time and I hope he's able to rebound. He has struggled in the preseason, but he's a true pro and I think that he'll be fine once the season starts.
Skinz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #15
jsnyder03
Camp Scrub

I have been a big fan of the original "Rock" (before Cartright came) as a guy who played every game and, even as a rookie, handed Strahan admirably. But I must agree that it haa been quite a while since he performed like a stud.

With his big salary, you can't help but wonder if that $ might be better spent elsewhere. However, I know we can't free ourselves of his contract. There is about a $14m release fee this year (per crazy canuck).

I wonder if we can get creative NEXT year. If he were to retire could we recoup that signing bonus money and then hire him as an expenses o-line coach? His work ethic and lockerroom presence are great, just not his on field performce these days.
jsnyder03 is offline   Reply With Quote