Commanders Post at The Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Commanders Post at The Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Locker Room Main Forum Commanders Football & NFL discussion

Postgame Thread - Week 1 vs. Bucs

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-12-2024, 09:34 AM   #76
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Postgame Thread - Week 1 vs. Bucs

Speaking of rookies, Mike Sainristil got beat just as bad anyone on defense.

Terrible first game

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-12-2024, 12:50 PM   #77
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Speaking of rookies, Mike Sainristil got beat just as bad anyone on defense.

Terrible first game
Godwin is a good WR, good enough to make rookie CBs look silly.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 01:46 PM   #78
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Definitely a lot of work to do. All the doom and gloom is just slightly out of place though, in my opinion. Some of you either had unreasonably high expectations, or you just don't remember or realize how good a team Tampa is. They throttled Philadelphia in the playoffs last year, and were just one score short of taking down the Lions on the road to go to the NFC championship game. This just wasn't a great matchup on the road in week 1. They have great receivers and they have a really good elusive QB. We have a rookie QB and a suspect secondary. To me, not a big surprise they won that match up.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 07:15 PM   #79
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Regarding Daniels, I'm not sure what some of you guys were expecting from him. It's going to take time, that was his first start on the road. What I did like was he didn't turn the ball over and the game didn't seem to be too big for him. Did he pull the ball down and run a bit too early a few times? Sure, but again, that's just something you have to expect from a rookie.
I clearly stated this was game one and the road ahead is long and bright. I simply pointed out some mistakes that people would often attribute to OL, but in reality it's on the QB.

The biggest concern for me is his inability to slide properly. That could end his career if he keeps it up.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2024, 07:38 AM   #80
Darrell Green Fan
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I don't know. I actually thought they were competitive. It was very apparent they had a rookie QB, the secondary was exploited at times, and they could have executed some things better, but I thought they were competitive. I didn't notice a lack of effort.

On D, they pressured Baker a lot, they just never completed the task. Kudos to Baker, he was like Houdini back there and he kept his eyes downfield and got the ball to his playmakers. I thought they did a good job against the run, overall.

On O, I thought they ran the ball effectively and the pass protection was sufficient. I just think JD was not seeing the field well, and he often bailed on the play too quickly. I would have liked to see him have more patience rather than just tuck and run everytime. He was also more inaccurate than expected. A lot of nerves I'm sure. That deep ball to Terry was overthrown by about 2 yards. Complete that - it's a TD, and who knows...

Like it has been said already, we all knew what the potential weaknesses were heading into week 1. It was a tough match up for this new team, week 1. I expect a much better performance in week 2 - all around. Week 1 is almost always a liar.
I didn't see them as competitive at all. Baker toyed with them, they didn't punt the entire day and converted nearly every 3rd down. Washington was never in that game, they were not competitive IMO.

I was surprised. We all heard how Kingsbury gets off to fast starts, I thought it was very possible they had a game like in New Orleans 2012 where they suprised the defense with a new offense. I expected a defense that would fly to the ball, like the Bills last night.

Now I understand this team is not as talented as the Bills, not even close. But this is not last years team, so many new players. Yet they played just like all the other teams we have watched.

With all that said this was Game 1 against a good team that was playing as well as they can play. I realize fans and writers were made to look stupid by drawing conclussons after Game 1. I'm still optimistic about the future. I believe in this group.
Darrell Green Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2024, 07:47 AM   #81
Darrell Green Fan
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
If Coleman becomes the full-time starter at LT, then I hope Lucas will become the starter at RT. I think that would make our OL stronger.
I had the same thought.

Jayden missing those wide open receivers shown in that Tweet is a concern. I understand it's his first game but how can it not be a concern? I remember a picture in the Post circling 5 open receivers. The caption read "RG III took a sack on this play. I have no idea why". Hard not to see the same thing here, only hope it improves.
Darrell Green Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2024, 09:21 AM   #82
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Ok, so my real thoughts on this weekends game. It was pretty much what I expected to see. A bad defense with a rookie QB struggling to be a rookie QB. Defense was just trash, which I already predicted as much. Don't expect it to be any better unless we're playing a shitty team like the Giants next week.

Jayden Daniels: Well, the guy is already reminding me of RGIII and that's not good. Runs entirely too much, and doesn't know how to slide. You can tell he's not comfortable in the pocket, and he's holding onto the ball too long. This is a great example from Twitter:

So a user posts this and asks who's the blame on the play. 2.33 seconds and JD takes a sack. Well, most fans say the LT or OL, and this is the same shit that was said previously.

https://x.com/Tiller56/status/1833256611290444172

So after watching the play, now see the field then tell me who's to blame:

https://x.com/bettersportsiq/status/1833379235488272410

He had three fucking guys open and didn't throw the ball. The sack is on the QB.

Dude is a rookie, I get it and he'll grow into something we hopefully can build around. The one thing that has to stop immediately is the not sliding while running. He's not going to last the season if he continues that shit.
hopefully he watched TNF last night and took notes
Old 09-13-2024, 11:31 AM   #83
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
I didn't see them as competitive at all. Baker toyed with them, they didn't punt the entire day and converted nearly every 3rd down. Washington was never in that game, they were not competitive IMO.

I was surprised. We all heard how Kingsbury gets off to fast starts, I thought it was very possible they had a game like in New Orleans 2012 where they suprised the defense with a new offense. I expected a defense that would fly to the ball, like the Bills last night.

Now I understand this team is not as talented as the Bills, not even close. But this is not last years team, so many new players. Yet they played just like all the other teams we have watched.

With all that said this was Game 1 against a good team that was playing as well as they can play. I realize fans and writers were made to look stupid by drawing conclussons after Game 1. I'm still optimistic about the future. I believe in this group.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I definitely didn't see them as non-competitive.

Three of TBs scoring drives (resulting in 17 points), were extended on 3rd down due to penalties. Clean those up and who knows...

I mean, if JD drops that ball in Terry's hands to start the 3rd quarter, instead of overthrowing him by 2 yards, it's a 14-16 game despite missing a FG in the 1st.

I thought they competed. They just got beat, and beat themselves on occasion.

Hope to see some progression from JD, better communication in the secondary, and the D-line getting home this weekend.
Old 09-13-2024, 11:37 AM   #84
PorkSkins
Playmaker

Baldinger's breakdown of Daniels' play on Sunday: https://x.com/BaldyNFL/status/183405...j7rzZXWiA&s=19
PorkSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2024, 11:55 AM   #85
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkSkins View Post
Baldinger's breakdown of Daniels' play on Sunday: https://x.com/BaldyNFL/status/183405...j7rzZXWiA&s=19
Watching the game, I thought he just looked like a rookie who wasn't seeing the field well or got sped up too often. However, many breakdowns like these tell a different story. Nice piece.