|
Pages :
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
[ 8]
9
10
11
12
53Fan 02-23-2009, 01:58 PM Well the old Redskins would have given him a big fat new contract after trading for him a la Brandon Lloyd. Besides, only the 2nd round pick hurts in that trade.
How do you figure? Kedrick Golston..Colt Brennan...Kareem Moore were 6th round picks and Horton was a 7th. These are not important? Plus he's taking up 8.5 in cap space for the second straight year it looks like. And the second pick? We could REALLY use that this year. I have nothing against JT. I hope we'll use him right this year so he can do what he does best but I haven't seen anything thus far to say this wasn't a bad deal. Everything right now is just based on conjecture, hoping he has a good year.
BigHairedAristocrat 02-23-2009, 02:08 PM :laughing- I thought the knee-jerk reaction was to sign him for 8.5 and give up 2 draft picks for him last year when Daniels went down.
General consensus was the trade was a good decision by the skins. The problem was Taylor suffered a life threatening injury, never fully recovered, and was misused by Blache. Taylor is a sure-fire firstballot hall of famer. He was 33 at the time and was coming of a great season. If Taylor had continued to be utilized correctly and performed at the same level he had been performing when in Miami, we would feel he was well worth the 2nd and 6th round pick. If he rebounds to his previous form and Blache uses him correctly, and he plays solid this year, it will still be worth the pick, especially if we can get another year or two out of him.
53Fan 02-23-2009, 02:24 PM General consensus was the trade was a good decision by the skins. The problem was Taylor suffered a life threatening injury, never fully recovered, and was misused by Blache. Taylor is a sure-fire firstballot hall of famer. He was 33 at the time and was coming of a great season. If Taylor had continued to be utilized correctly and performed at the same level he had been performing when in Miami, we would feel he was well worth the 2nd and 6th round pick. If he rebounds to his previous form and Blache uses him correctly, and he plays solid this year, it will still be worth the pick, especially if we can get another year or two out of him.
Yeah if all the "IFS" worked out it would be a great deal. IF it does then great. IF it don't, then , OH s**t.... That's my point. So far it's been all conjecture and no production. It is what it is. Do I think JT can still be productive? Yes. IF Blache uses him the correct way. Oops...there's that word again.
over the mountain 02-23-2009, 02:35 PM In an interview on WJFK-FM, Redskins defensive end Jason Taylor was candid about his performance, which has included only 1.5 sacks and 25 tackles despite averaging around 41 snaps in 11 games.
"I'll be the first to tell you - I stink right now," he said on "The Junkies." "I may not be worth $8 million [in 2009], but I know one thing: This dog can still hunt. You put me in the right situation and right position, and I'll hunt all day."
Asked whether he's being used correctly, Taylor said: "I'm not here to complain. I'm just a player, and this is the scheme, and I have to fit into it and find a way to be successful. If I had my druthers, it is what it is."
^^ this is from an interview JT did in december. i thought there was more to him talking about how he was used, maybe it was another interview where he said he doesnt like to be one hand in the dirt all the time lined up against a tackle.
to blache's defense (haha i funny), it seems he did try to move JT around more in the last few games . . .
heres an article on blache and his view on using the front 7:
Published: December 15, 2008
Back when the Washington Redskins’ freefall was merely a slide, defensive coordinator Greg Blache got testy when he was repeatedly asked about his unit’s inability to generate sacks on opposing offenses.
They were doing just fine without the sacks, Blache replied. And at the time, they were.
Sacks, as a statistic, are overrated anyway. The success of others can lead to a sack for you, so it’s not always a true measure of individual accomplishment. Sacks do have their place.
Quarterback hurries are a more telling number. When a defensive player beats his blocker and forces the quarterback to rush a throw, that’s an individual accomplishment.
The problem for the Redskins lies in the difference between the two.
Washington falls in the middle of the league in quarterback hurries. Their 59 ties them for 14th, which doesn’t include Monday night’s Browns-Eagles game. Andre Carter leads the team with 15; Demetric Evans is second with seven. By comparison, Dallas’ DeMarcus Ware is the league leader at 27; Minnesota’s Jared Allen is second with 26.
It should be easy to see the correlation, then, that the teams with the most hurries are usually the ones with the most sacks. You can’t sack the quarterback if you can’t get to him.
There’s Dallas (90 hurries, 53 sacks, both first); Tennessee (second in hurries, seventh in sacks); Minnesota (third in both); Baltimore (fourth in hurries, 10th in sacks) and Pittsburgh (tied for fifth in hurries, second in sacks). Those teams are getting to the quarterback and taking him down.
The Redskins, meanwhile, are getting to the quarterback at an average rate. They’re taking him down at a severely reduced rate. So despite the 59 hurries, they’ve got only 21 sacks to show for it; 35.6 percent, or less than four of 10, of the Redskins’ hurries result in a sack.
While not the league’s worst, it’s in the neighborhood, where Washington lives with some of the league’s worst teams generally. Only Cincinnati, Cleveland and Kansas City have a worse conversion rate, if you will. Tampa Bay bucks the trend; despite its 38.0 percent conversion rate, the Bucs are in line for a playoff spot.
Conversely, the NFL’s better teams are near the top of the list, but not always. Oakland leads the league with a 69.2 conversion rate, though that says more about the Raiders’ woeful lack of hurries than their pedestrian 27 sacks.
Behind Oakland is a more expected list: the New York Jets, in contention in a crowded AFC East; Carolina, emerging as a potential NFC champion; resurgent Philadelphia and Miami.
That the Redskins are unable to generate pressure should not be a surprise. They have not had a dominant defensive end in the Daniel Snyder era; even when that position was a concern after last season, the Redskins paid it lip service by drafting Rob Jackson in the seventh round.
And, no matter what Blache says, it must be a concern too.
Not only does his unit fail to harass opposing quarterbacks, it fails further in capitalizing on the chances it does have.
I think JT will have a better year but am not overly optimistic blache will change the way he does things.
go skins!! sorry if this is long, i suck at providing links
Ruhskins 02-23-2009, 03:15 PM How do you figure? Kedrick Golston..Colt Brennan...Kareem Moore were 6th round picks and Horton was a 7th. These are not important? Plus he's taking up 8.5 in cap space for the second straight year it looks like. And the second pick? We could REALLY use that this year. I have nothing against JT. I hope we'll use him right this year so he can do what he does best but I haven't seen anything thus far to say this wasn't a bad deal. Everything right now is just based on conjecture, hoping he has a good year.
Getting diamonds in the roughs in the lower round happens, but it doesn't happen all the time. Yes, we could use that 6th round this year, but having a 2nd rounder is better. You're right, everything now is based on conjecture, hoping that JT has a good year. The same thing applies I would say for these lower round picks, you hope they work out, you don't expect them to.
horny4zorny-nohomo 02-23-2009, 03:36 PM if i got that much $ i would get atleast 5 sacks!
GTripp0012 02-23-2009, 04:11 PM I ultimately decided to vote for this decision.
I don't like that Vinny can't see a sunk cost. He probably should have taken longer to consider this move. But Taylor is owed no guaranteed money by this team, so his contract structure is advantageous for a player his age. Cutting him does not improve our team because he represents raw talent. It only opens up an opportunity to improve our team. And the free agent market doesn't appear to be as full as it did a week ago. There's no guarantee we could improve on Jason Taylor if we were to cut him.
Honestly, we probably could improve on him. But it would just cost us more money in future years, and Taylor is capable of giving us production, so long as Blache doesn't misuse him.
53Fan 02-23-2009, 04:15 PM Getting diamonds in the roughs in the lower round happens, but it doesn't happen all the time. Yes, we could use that 6th round this year, but having a 2nd rounder is better. You're right, everything now is based on conjecture, hoping that JT has a good year. The same thing applies I would say for these lower round picks, you hope they work out, you don't expect them to.
True. Of course they don't take 8.5 million in cap space either. I guess that is my real problem with this. We could'nt have got him for 6mil? Were there other teams just waiting to throw 6 mil at him? He already said he didn't earn his money last year. Since he was overpaid last year could'nt we have offered him a little less this year for the good of the team? I hope he has a GREAT year. I hope we use him to the best of his abilities or this makes no sense whatsoever.
BigHairedAristocrat 02-23-2009, 04:25 PM Yeah if all the "IFS" worked out it would be a great deal. IF it does then great. IF it don't, then , OH s**t.... That's my point. So far it's been all conjecture and no production. It is what it is. Do I think JT can still be productive? Yes. IF Blache uses him the correct way. Oops...there's that word again.
Its not like we were taking a huge gamble. It was a FREAK injury that could not have been predicted. Sure, there were risks involved in getting Taylor, but the risks were very slim. By all appearnces, he should have done well here. as to his being misused by Blache, hopefully Blache can come up with something better this year. Blache is not a good d-coordinator and hopefully he'll retire after this season so someone more aggressive and less loyal to aging under-performing veterance will replace him.
53Fan 02-23-2009, 04:52 PM Its not like we were taking a huge gamble. It was a FREAK injury that could not have been predicted. Sure, there were risks involved in getting Taylor, but the risks were very slim. By all appearnces, he should have done well here. as to his being misused by Blache, hopefully Blache can come up with something better this year. Blache is not a good d-coordinator and hopefully he'll retire after this season so someone more aggressive and less loyal to aging under-performing veterance will replace him.
Let me make this clear. I have no beef with Taylor nor do I question his talent. If we use him to maximize his talents...fine. If not...the trade sucks...period. I just find it somewhat distressing that the season after we give up a couple of picks and 8.5 mil we're discussing how he should be used and whether he's worth it.
|